Creating new contact in Lumia 920 phone memory

Lumia 9200

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi, whenever I try to create a new contact in my Lumia 920, it doesn't show options to create contact in phone memory and provides options to create contact in Hotmail and Google only. I prefer to create contacts in phone/SIM memory directly... appreciate any help.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Tough luck sir. The contact is created on the phone and synced up to the supported cloud service of your choice. You can't not have it sync up anymore.

Which begs the question, why would you not want it to sync to the cloud?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Generally there are people in this world that

a) Don't trust the cloud
b) Would rather have their information on them (and only them)
c) Don't have reliable data connections/services to get consistent backups and syncs done
d) Came from the Palm era of devices

I've grown up with the cloud, but I started years ago on Palm and Palm Desktop. Local backups were nice, but bad if you were out and about and needed to perform a hard reset. When Palm made phones with expandable storage and you could work with the SD card to create and restore backups it made life easier.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Just because you don't get it, that does not mean there isn't a valid reason for requesting this.

(waves hand) These are not the phones you're looking for.

Seriously. Pick whichever service you want to sync with. If that list is empty, pick a different phone OS, because Microsoft is "all in on the cloud".

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I just wanted to say that you don't really need an old phone and that isn't true that android is moving to the cloud as the only option given to you.

Galaxy S III
Support
Questions about Manage my contacts
Copy contacts between your SIM and your phone

1. Find "Import/Export"?Press Apps.
? Press Contacts.
? Press the Contacts tab.
? Press the Menu key.
? Press Import/Export.
2. Choose option?Choose one of the following options:
? Copy contacts from your SIM to your phone, go to 2a.
? Copy contacts from your phone to your SIM, go to 2b.
2a - Copy contacts from your SIM to your phone?Press Import from SIM card.
? Press Phone.
? Press Select all.
? Press Done.
2b - Copy contacts from your phone to your SIM?Press Export to SIM card.
? Press Select all.
? Press Done.
? Press OK to confirm.
3. Exit ?Press the Home key to return to standby mode.

The Samsung Galaxy S 4 will be about the same
While I don't understand why disabling the sync on you WP8 is removing all your contacts even if you have also disabled the connection...is it going with the pigeon connection?

:shocked:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So people prefer to lose their phone AND their contacts with them rather than storing them on cloud? Right, this is what they told me about 21st Century. I am now going to sit back and imagine myself trying to remember all of the 923 contacts I have on my phone and how I will add them again to my phone when it is stolen/lost/crushed under a car.

Also to note: You don't need data connection all the time to access contact. You can create a contact AND access your phone book even in airplane mode. However it WILL be synced to cloud when you connect to data.

Last edited:

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Look for an app that makes your contacts local. Be aware that such an app will loose the contacts when you uninstall them. Since wp8 it's possible to make local contacts specific to an app. Use such an app to store your contacts local and not synced.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The iphone got so popular because of the mentality if something is needed for me on the phone there should be a 3rd party app for it. I believe that this is exactly what wp8 ecosystem needs right now

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Well if you have a Samsung Galaxy S 4 you're not losing your contacts, it's Android and gives you many options so you can choose, the cloud is actually very linked to city people and people that seldom travel distances, you might even want to keep the phone disconected for extended periods like 6 months, I still don't know why if you disable the sync with a disabled connection you lose all your contacts from the phone. I 2013 anyway the cloud is old, there new things out there that work better..having said that anyone can do whateverwants:winktongue:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well if you have a Samsung Galaxy S 4 you're not losing your contacts, it's Android and gives you many options so you can choose, the cloud is actually very linked to city people and people that seldom travel distances, you might even want to keep the phone disconected for extended periods like 6 months, I still don't know why if you disable the sync with a disabled connection you lose all your contacts from the phone. I 2013 anyway the cloud is old, there new things out there that work better..having said that anyone can do whateverwants:winktongue:

NO you DON'T lose any contacts when you aren't connected to internet stop the FUD.

Also, WP8 is all about cloud and three screens. Please educate me if cloud is old in 2013, what is new?

Maybe SGS3 isn't for city people by your logic. I know NO ONE who doesn't use internet for SIX months. Not even in Narnialand.

Please make your next post look like you are a worthy contributor to WPCentral.

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello, yes you do lose contacts if you disable sync while not connected. The internet is 365 days connection ONLY for people that do not travel, if you stay home 365 days or travel to the city next to you or if you are a city person I agree you will be always connected, otherwise you won't have internet always available to you, this why ythe cloud has a limited use and actually doesn't make any sense if not for who doesn't need it if not for fun. The cloud is an old thing I used it 10 years ago, now probably they are trying to cash money back from a project that doesn't work, trying to hook you in with things like import contacts, but forget exporting contacts things. Today the newest thing is called direct connect

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello, yes you do lose contacts if you disable sync while not connected. The internet is 365 days connection ONLY for people that do not travel, if you stay home 365 days or travel to the city next to you or if you are a city person I agree you will be always connected, otherwise you won't have internet always available to you, this why ythe cloud has a limited use and actually doesn't make any sense if not for who doesn't need it if not for fun. The cloud is an old thing I used it 10 years ago, now probably they are trying to cash money back from a project that doesn't work, trying to hook you in with things like import contacts, but forget exporting contacts things. Today the newest thing is called direct connect

Ok so you did make a valuable contribution here, so please explain me more about direct connect as that thing totally has been introduced to me.

Also, in terms of contacts losing - I still insist, no you don't lose any contacts even if you go into totally internet less state of phone - I have a spare HTC Titan in my desk drawer and it doesn't even have a SIM card i.e. no connection internet or not - the contacts are still there!

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It's improving 'old', if I can say that, technology to make direct connection rather than pasing through a server. Pssing through a server is an old thing and it's not effective, it's lagging and it can be so slow to make it difficult for you using a small device like a phone to actually perform interesting tasks. That's the future. I like windows phones I have got 2 but I also think windows 8 is missing a bit and it's a pity, it could have more options. Android is excellent in my opinion, because I'm not totally for one or the other..I like all the tech available

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's improving 'old', if I can say that, technology to make direct connection rather than pasing through a server. Pssing through a server is an old thing and it's not effective, it's lagging and it can be so slow to make it difficult for you using a small device like a phone to actually perform interesting tasks. That's the future. I like windows phones I have got 2 but I also think windows 8 is missing a bit and it's a pity, it could have more options. Android is excellent in my opinion, because I'm not totally for one or the other..I like all the tech available

Cloud is old? The cloud is the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb