Creating new contact in Lumia 920 phone memory

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The could's old..they just made a login available for everyone but I used to do it years ago myself, I used to store my things on a server and d/l them when I wanted, you could even run softwares..it's old just made availble for the public

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The could's old..they just made a login available for everyone but I used to do it years ago myself, I used to store my things on a server and d/l them when I wanted, you could even run softwares..it's old just made availble for the public

This logic makes no sense to me. That is like saying "You're driving a car now, I drove a car 20 years ago" . Cars are old.

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Well look I am not saying that you are wrong, I'm saying that I'd like to have a phone that gives you many options so you can choose, for example you were all suggesting to go for an old phone because transfering contacts to the sim is old fashioned and there's the cloud..so buy an old phone, that's why I posted, I have just replied that you don't need an old phone but a new phone that gives you more option, I'm not for the android only..I'd like WP8 to add more features and make everyone happy

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's improving 'old', if I can say that, technology to make direct connection rather than pasing through a server. Pssing through a server is an old thing and it's not effective, it's lagging and it can be so slow to make it difficult for you using a small device like a phone to actually perform interesting tasks. That's the future. I like windows phones I have got 2 but I also think windows 8 is missing a bit and it's a pity, it could have more options. Android is excellent in my opinion, because I'm not totally for one or the other..I like all the tech available

So it's about not using server but devices directly communicating with each other? I need to try and see how I can actually connect my HTC One X and HTC Sensation XL directly to each other. You don't mean direct connect as in bluetooth right? Because I think my grand mum uses a phone with bluetooth so that can't be new technology. How does these two Android phone excellently use direct connect technology without using servers?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Why are you not using the cloud instead of Near field communication that granny uses..

I am all in for clouds! But if clouds are old and if Bluetooth and NFC are the new thing that Androids can do, I need to see how though! For someone like me who can easily lose his phone, I love the clouds as my contacts aren't on my phone - they are in the cloud. I can erase and lock my phone using cloud & restore it too.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Android has a cloud too :grin: everyone has it, even amazon has a cloud..tesco has one ...lol...anyway Cloud Computing – Is Your Personal Information Safe in the Cloud?

So now you are saying everyone has a cloud but we should not use it? My personal information isn't safe anywhere. Not even on my phone or my home. But at least using cloud I have the ability to lock and erase my phone remotely. Without everything being linked to my cloud, I could have had that ability and the ability to restore things. Things stored on phone and memory card are owned by one who steals my phone. But things on my cloud are mine!

amorenod

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my Galaxy Nexus, which is as much pure Android as you can get, doesn't store contacts locally, it syncs them with the cloud, and can access them offline. Exactly like my previous Windows Phone.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Well look I am not saying that you are wrong, I'm saying that I'd like to have a phone that gives you many options so you can choose, for example you were all suggesting to go for an old phone because transfering contacts to the sim is old fashioned and there's the cloud..so buy an old phone, that's why I posted, I have just replied that you don't need an old phone but a new phone that gives you more option, I'm not for the android only..I'd like WP8 to add more features and make everyone happy

Does Android let you store locally? I'm pretty sure Android phones all use Google Contacts to sync contacts. I see no disadvantage to using the cloud. It just makes sense. I can reset my phone a million times and all my contacts are still there.

amorenod

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I also own an awful Galaxy Ace, which is just my Endomondo device. My contacts are synced with the cloud as well, but there's a separate phone contacts list I'll never use. I guess it's up to the maker to include it, but I find it pointless.

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Does Android let you store locally? I'm pretty sure Android phones all use Google Contacts to sync contacts. I see no disadvantage to using the cloud. It just makes sense. I can reset my phone a million times and all my contacts are still there.
yes
Galaxy S III
Support
Questions about Manage my contacts
Copy contacts between your SIM and your phone

1. Find "Import/Export"•Press Apps.
• Press Contacts.
• Press the Contacts tab.
• Press the Menu key.
• Press Import/Export.
2. Choose option•Choose one of the following options:
• Copy contacts from your SIM to your phone, go to 2a.
• Copy contacts from your phone to your SIM, go to 2b.
2a - Copy contacts from your SIM to your phone•Press Import from SIM card.
• Press Phone.
• Press Select all.
• Press Done.
2b - Copy contacts from your phone to your SIM•Press Export to SIM card.
• Press Select all.
• Press Done.
• Press OK to confirm.
3. Exit •Press the Home key to return to standby mode.

The Samsung Galaxy S 4 will be about the same

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
So now you are saying everyone has a cloud but we should not use it? My personal information isn't safe anywhere. Not even on my phone or my home. But at least using cloud I have the ability to lock and erase my phone remotely. Without everything being linked to my cloud, I could have had that ability and the ability to restore things. Things stored on phone and memory card are owned by one who steals my phone. But things on my cloud are mine!

you can erease your phone with any mobile security you don't need the cloud

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You set up your mobile security and you do it from a different phone...almost all the best mobile security have this option, I had it with kaspersky but also others do have it

That's from Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kms&hl=en_GB

If you read description you would know that whatever security you are on about, uses "cloud services" - so yeah do it from different phone, do it from online cloud via a laptop - you are using a cloud!

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
That's from Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kms&hl=en_GB

If you read description you would know that whatever security you are on about, uses "cloud services" - so yeah do it from different phone, do it from online cloud via a laptop - you are using a cloud!
LOL no it's not done through the cloud, the stolen phone doesn't need to be connected ... doesn't even need a connection...it's done from a phone call or sms that starts the security and it does a lock, erease, if has a gps gives you the location..sending a message back

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I pasting an example from Kaspersky mobile sec 9
To enable the Block function:
1. Select the Block item on the Anti-Theft tab.
This will open the Block window.
2. Select the On value for the Block mode setting.
3. In order to display text on the screen of a blocked device, select the Text when blocked item and fill in the
Enter text field (see Figure below). When the device is blocked, the text Device Blocked is displayed on the
screen by default.

If the Block function is enabled, you can block the device using the following methods:
• Using Send command. This requires a second device where Kaspersky Mobile Security 9.0 is installed. On the
second device, a special SMS message must be created and sent from Kaspersky Mobile Security 9.0. It
consists of the phone number and secret code of the device to be blocked. Receiving of a special SMS
message on the blocked device is not noticeable.
• Using a phone to send a standard SMS message. To do this, an SMS message must be created on the second
device and sent with the special text and secret code of the device to be blocked.
To send a command to the lost device:
1. On the Additional tab, select Send command.
A send special command window will open.
2. Press Start.

IN THIS SECTION
About Anti-Theft ..............................................................................................................................................................70
Blocking the device..........................................................................................................................................................71
Deleting personal data.....................................................................................................................................................73
Creating a list of objects to be deleted.............................................................................................................................75
Monitoring the replacement of a SIM card on the device.................................................................................................76
Determining the device's geographical coordinates ........................................................................................................77
Remote start of the Anti-Theft functions..........................................................................................................................79

whateverhappened

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, my Galaxy Nexus, which is as much pure Android as you can get, doesn't store contacts locally, it syncs them with the cloud, and can access them offline. Exactly like my previous Windows Phone.

There are two types of contacts on your android phone. GMAIL contacts and PHONE contacts. You must decide which ones you are going to use, but you can't use them both (or you will get duplicates). If you choose to use your PHONE contacts turn off google contact syncing and delete them from the phone. PHONE contacts do NOT sync. You may be getting multiple duplicates from turning on and off syncing. If you choose to use GMAIL contacts delete all PHONE contacts and make all your changes in gmail.

amorenod

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
No, there are not. I know there are on the S3 or, I repeat, my Galaxy Ace, but not on pure Google devices like my Galaxy Nexus or my Nexus 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss