Death of Windows Phone 8?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I almost started a thread titled "Death of iPhone iOS 6?" to compete with such FUD.

Just because a single version of an OS is loosing support, this is far from the Death of anything. We could equally jest and say iOS 6 will likely end support in 2013 if history shows anything. I.e. Microsoft are providing better support than the current #1 OS.

Microsoft have stated that WP8 users will get updates from WP8... after the 7.X fiasco they have to.

Unless you are purposely trolling, the title "Birth of Windows Phone 9" is so much more appropriate!

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
As others have pointed out the end of official support doesn't mean the product will cease to function, or that they won't help troubleshoot existing features if you own one and things go wrong. This is more important for their business customers because it tells them when they'll have to start paying for custom support at an enterprise level if/when they have company Windows phones under a support contract with Microsoft. It doesn't mean much at all to individuals who own a Windows 8 phone.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
You are right. But I don't see where they did wrong about the 7.x "fiasco". You don't get upgrade on the os for ever on any android phone. Just a small part of android runs the last os version. They made a new 7.8 version with tile customization improvements. Most not-tech persons can't even understand the differences in the windows phone 8 and windows phone 7. So I don't understand why they complain. It's not like they can't use their phone anymore or ar not receiving os updates or security patches.
And at a personal level I consider windos phone 8 to be a fiasco. They had the chance to allign the windows 8 apis with windows phone 8 apis. And they did it poorly and only a little (DirectX support really). I hate that they did this just to keep the number of apps for windows phone 8 high. So I don't understand why people complain they didn't receive the windows phone 8 os update. I'm so curios what windows phone 7.x users are missing so badly about windows phone 8 os?

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
My Zune 30 is still working the same as it did in 2005, so I wouldn't worry about the end of support.

For Microsoft, it just means that there won't be any development resources committed to creating new features. The way it works now will continue to work for a long time.

My Zune 30 died and I'd love to get it fixed. My Lumia 900 is my overpriced Zune player now. I wanted to sell it after I got the 920, but the music thing w/ WP8 & XBox Music is screwy.

As for all of the paranoia, I think it has already been publicly stated that WP8 devices will be upgradeable. WP7 users need to upgrade to WP7.5/8. The hardware isn't dead, but the antiquated version of the OS needs to be upgraded.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been seeing a lot of people misinterpreting this story to suggest Microsoft is going to abandon Windows Phone entirely. Some are really blowing it out of proportion, presumably to bolster their own anti-Microsoft biases.

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
8.5 won't be a major change - the clue is in the version number...

When it comes to Microsoft, you can't judge the amount of change solely on the version number. For example, Vista is Windows 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1, and Windows 8 is 6.2. I think anyone would agree that Vista and Windows 8 look and function entirely different (and would therefore warrant a bunch in major version number), but their version numbers differ by minor version only.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Dont see what the issue is here, assuming the carriers allow upgradable OS to all existing phones.

What this means is wp8 OS as we see right now will be supported for 18 months and at that time, there will be a new OS WP9/Blue or whatever they want to call it and that Os will trigger another 18 month cycle and so forth.

THis is niot saying wp8 as we see it now will not be updated in 18 months time, what i beleive it is saying is after 18 months, there will be a new version of the OS which will likely be blue that will take over and be another 18 month cycle. According to MS all current devices should be able to upgrade to a new versionof the OS, the question now is, will the carriers allow it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In never ceases to amaze me, how some people will twist statements in their minds, for the sake of hearing what they want to hear.

This is what Microsoft published:

Products Released

Lifecycle Start Date

Mainstream Support End Date

Extended Support End Date

Windows Phone 7.8
09/02/2013
09/09/2014

Review Note

Windows Phone 8
14/12/2012
08/07/2014

Review Note

Microsoft also noted the following:

"Microsoft will make updates available for the OS on your phone, including security updates, for a period of 18 months after the lifecycle start date. Distribution of the updates may be controlled by the mobile operator or the phone manufacturer from which you purchased your phone. Update availability will also vary by country, region, and hardware capabilities."

That is all. Nowhere does it say anything about WP8 devices being upgraded to a hypothetical next major version of WP. Microsoft states only that they will provide updates. Again, that is no different from what W7.x is experiencing today. Windows 7.x continues to get updates, while WP8 continues along its own track.

Although I think it is extremely na?ve, what people really want to hear is something along the lines of: "WP8 devices will be upgradable to the next major version of WP." How hard can it be to say just that? It would instantly put all these discussions to rest, yet Microsoft isn't saying that. Why not?

I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I speak a few languages, one of them being German. The German article is more or less a translation of what WPC had already posted.

The line "WP8 is upgradable unlike WP7" was added by editors. That is just interpretation. I prefer to look at what Microsoft's own representatives actually said. What Greg Sullivan actually did say, is "WP8 will have an upgrade path" and "WP8 will be upgradable for 18 months". I'm not sure what you are implying, but as far as I can tell, Greg Sullivan isn't implying anything specific, and his statements certainly don't imply 80% of the things editors are attributing to it.

Edit: I think Greg Sullivan's statements are exactly the same thing Microsoft just published on their lifecycle support page. No more, no less.

Last edited:

Nikumba

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought the whole point of moving over to an NT Kernel was to allow the new phones to be updated.

The swap of Kernels is the only reason why the old 7 phones couldnt be upgraded as I understand it

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Although I think it is extremely na?ve, what people really want to hear is something along the lines of: "WP8 devices will be upgradable to the next major version of WP." How hard can it be to say just that? It would instantly put all these discussions to rest, yet Microsoft isn't saying that. Why not?

I'll leave it at that.

It is very clear why they can not come out and say all current devices will be upgradable. The reason is not they can not guarantee that it will be, all current wp8 devices ARE able to upgrade to the newest OS version whatever it be Blue or WP9 according some MS guy a few weeks ago, that isn't the question at this point, the question now is if the carriers will allow it. MS can not say IT WILL since they are not sure if the carrier will push it out.

THey are in the same predicament now with Tmobile i think not pushing out 7.8 for Lumia 710s, would MS want 7.8 on 710s? Sure, but will it? Based on Tmobiles decision, it wont. Can all current wp7 devices get 7.8? Yes it can, but will it?? Depends on the carrier and again, which is why MS can't come out and say it.

What i think will happen all current high end devices you see today (lumia 920 and 8x) and any future high end devices from whomever OEM will get an upgrade to the newest version of the OS, then the mid to low range will be a flip of a coin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos