Lumia 920 Camera Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

technik21

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 920 for 2 weeks now, and am still very disapointed with the camera.
Most of my shots are not very sharp at all. By this I mean at best they are soft focus, to just plain blurry.
I say most, as just a very few have a nice sharp image (landscape and close ups).
I use both methods (touching the screen, and using the button) to take a shot, and tried 4.3 and 16.9 ratios, but this doesn't make any difference to the final image.
What I have noticed though, is that when using the button to take a shot, the camera will pre focus on the subject just right, but the moment you take the shot, the image is out of focus.
You can see this happening as you take the picture.
I am holding the camera very still, and have even used a solid object to rest the phone on, just to eliminate camera shake.
Even night scenes have the same problem.

I notice on the web, that this is a common issue with some 920 users, and just wondered if this could be a hardware problem, or a software issue.
I'm using the very latest firmware 1232.5951.1249.1002

I contacted my phone service provider, and they suggested I backed up the phone and reset it to factory settings, to eliminate a software issue.

I've compared sample shots with another phone (iphone) on the same subject at the exact same time, and the 920 image is definately not as sharp.

Does anyone think a factory reset could possibly cure this? as at the moment I'm not going to have the time to backup and reset just now, so would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and just one other question, I was told by my service provider to use Nokia Suite to do the backup, but this software just doesn't recognise the phone, Zune too doesn't detect any device attached, so I just use Windows Explorer to backup music\photos (the good ones!) etc..... , and use the cloud to backup apps, messaging etc..
Should Nokia Suite work with the 920?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with the camera on my 920 too. I also looked at some example shots taken with the Samsung Ativ S and they were the same as the ones taken with my 920. Also, Nokia/MS are in the process of rolling out another update that is supposed to fix the poor performing camera. There was another thread on this site where some users manually installed this update and did notice an improvement in the camera. With this in mind, performing a factory reset would be pointless because it's a software problem baked into the OS.

If I were you I wouldn't bother talking to your service provider again to resolve issues with your phone because they clearly have no clue as to what they are talking about. Nokia suite does not work with Lumia phones and all your back-ups are done via the cloud as long as you have automatic backup turned on in the phones settings.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As Worzel Gummage explained, Nokia Suite, or any Nokia based software is unable to work with your WP8 device. All backups are done via 'Cloud' services.
As for the camera, mine too has very poor image quality with very soft or blurred snaps. I don't believe this is all software related as it didn't change with the Portico update so am soon to get the camera module in my phone replaced to see if this makes a difference *.If it does, then, as I presume, the problem lies in quality control of these phones.

* (Should mention, I was able to compare the picture quality of 2 Lumia 920's in a care centre and the difference in picture quality was very noticable which is why I'll get a camera swap and full software reinstall.)

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
@greycounciller.
My first thoughts were a faulty camera module but having seen examples of other 920's and the Ativ S being the same as my 920 I concluded it must be a software fault in WP8. The reason being, the camera in the Ativ S is the same unit as is in the SGS 3 which I actually own and that takes some decent shots. Also, since the Portico update the camera on my 920 has improved slightly in landscape mode and significantly in macro mode.

When you get your phone back from Nokia Care they will have more than likely installed the latest firmware for you which should be 1232.5957.1308.x. This is the update that is supposed to have improved picture quality in the 920's camera. The care facility might just flash your handset with the update first and if they decide that the camera has improved they might not bother swapping the camera module.

Let us know how you get on and if it really is a faulty module or not. That way I can then decide whether to send mine in for a module swap.

technik21

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Guys for the input.
I have requested to return the phone as faulty, so they can check it out.
Trouble is, I will have to wait about 10 days before I get it back!
I've only had it for a couple of weeks!

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, will post my findings asap.

Slight update: Had an official firmware update to '1308' from an NCC and the camera appears to be about 25% better in the sense that some daylight shots that I've since taken have a slighly lower sense of blur. I need to take some more 'real world' shots to make sure. Still waiting for that camera module though.

vilnis salenieks

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Must say, my 920 camera have pretty much same faults technik21 described - when focused, pics looks sharp, but after it sends to gallery they somehow become softer.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Slight update: Had an official firmware update to '1308' from an NCC and the camera appears to be about 25% better in the sense that some daylight shots that I've since taken have a slighly lower sense of blur. I need to take some more 'real world' shots to make sure. Still waiting for that camera module though.

I might just send mine in for a replacement camera module then. Thanks for the update

technik21

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick update to this thread.
I contacted Nokia care on the phone, and the technician I spoke with, said this was the first he has ever heard of camera images being out of focus on the Lumia 920.
Surely word has got back to Nokia about this, as this seems a common problem with a few 920 owners.
I was asked if I had dropped the phone, which I certainly have not. Unless it was dropped in transit to the phone store.
I'm still tempted to factory reset the phone this weekend to eliminate a software issue.
I will then send it off to the repair center next week if it hasn't fixed the problem.
Maybe it's worth uploading our examples of these blurry images...
ATTACH=CONFIG]30961[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• WP_20130319_004.jpg
    WP_20130319_004.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20130319_004.jpg
    WP_20130319_004.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 17

MS_SURVEYOR

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update to this thread.
I contacted Nokia care on the phone, and the technician I spoke with, said this was the first he has ever heard of camera images being out of focus on the Lumia 920.
Surely word has got back to Nokia about this, as this seems a common problem with a few 920 owners.
I was asked if I had dropped the phone, which I certainly have not. Unless it was dropped in transit to the phone store.
I'm still tempted to factory reset the phone this weekend to eliminate a software issue.
I will then send it off to the repair center next week if it hasn't fixed the problem.
Maybe it's worth uploading our examples of these blurry images...
ATTACH=CONFIG]30961[/ATTACH]

Those pictures are the worse I've ever seen. My 920 take outstanding pictures, day or night! Send that phone in for repairs or replacement! Best advice I can give you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes