New Update, SO Happy! 1308.xx Update

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Today was my first day with 1308 and I was keen to test the battery compared to the horrible Portico battery life.
Annnnnnd, nope. It's the same as portico. About 10h with moderate usage. Yeah. :/

Devamps

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Today was my first day with 1308 and I was keen to test the battery compared to the horrible Portico battery life.
Annnnnnd, nope. It's the same as portico. About 10h with moderate usage. Yeah. :/

I do not know what kind of use you do on your phone, but in my consumption improved after upgraded.
Have you installed the update of Nokia apps after updating the firmware?

Last edited:

LumiaDream

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
For everyone wanting updates, I flashed my firmware to 1308.xx and picked the Israeli (local) firmware, instead of Vodafone DE one (bought phone in Germany).

So far here is what is different:
1- Phone no longer freezes when charging (I assumed because I wasn't using a Nokia charger, but it works fine now).
2- Skype and Whatsapp notifiactions work correctly even if app is closed (never worked before, ever, not even once for me).
3- Skype, Whatsapp, Location, WIFI are all on, battery discharge is 1.7%/hour without usage.
4- I now get H+ when using cellular network, it was only H previously. Most likely because I picked my proper local firmware this time instead of German one.
5- Photo boots faster, definitely.
6- Camera focuses a bit better when trying to focus on somewhat far objects, and videos seem to switch focus better (not stuck on something you don't want to be focused)
7- Auto Brightness seems the same to be, but I never had problems with it.
8- I got the new storage thingy, and I can now clean up the Other folder and see which apps take how much space.

Feel free to ask any questions.

ToXXid

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Batterylife is still **** since updating to the 1308.xx fm. I'm using it like before and it drains quickly, just by browsing or using apps like skydrive, facebook, 9gag.

Devamps

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
For everyone wanting updates, I flashed my firmware to 1308.xx and picked the Israeli (local) firmware, instead of Vodafone DE one (bought phone in Germany).

So far here is what is different:

3- Skype, Whatsapp, Location, WIFI are all on, battery discharge is 1.7%/hour without usage.
4- I now get H+ when using cellular network, it was only H previously. Most likely because I picked my proper local firmware this time instead of German one.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Great observations, I do not use WhatsApp app and the percentage of battery drain per hour is lower.
About the other items (1,2,5,6,7,8) you mentioned above, I never had these problems here in Brazil, using 3,5G (H+).

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Those of you with crap battery live's may want to swap phones out. I was having the same issue with my launch phone for the first couple of months. I called ATT, got a new phone and the battery life has been fine minus one night where the battery died inexplicably. Now I turn my phone off and back on before going to bed just in case, but I get good battery life otherwise. Only issue I sitll have is my phone gets hot during phone calls which is really annoying.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I do not know what kind of use you do on your phone, but in my consumption improved after upgraded.
Have you installed the update of Nokia apps after updating the firmware?

YES

​Also my phone is on standby for most of the day, maybe 1-2h of rss/reddit

Devamps

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
YES

​Also my phone is on standby for most of the day, maybe 1-2h of rss/reddit

Considering that each user has different usage habits of others, it is difficult (perhaps unwise) to make comparisons about battery consumption ...
Some guys use their phones extensively, others not so!

There are also those who do not know configure their phones properly to their user profiles...
There are even guys who do not even know how to take photos, why not have a clue about how to configure the camera for their smartphones...
And these are facts (common) I see a lot in various places on the internet.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
1308 first impressions - good!

Last night I finally succumbed to installing the 1308 AT&T firmware, despite being the person to first report it being in Navifirm.

I had been waiting for an OTA update but after a couple of atrocious days battery life I decided that despite the pain to set everything up again, it would be worth a test, as it might be another month until AT&T did an update. A second justification was that if the OS was somehow messed up, that too might be fixed through a complete reinstall.

Last night I did the install which actually went really smoothly... I restored a backup, and after an hour or so had the phone back and working. Longest thing was signing into accounts and pinning tiles.

So far it looks good. My phone is actually cold for the first time in a while. I hadn't realized how constantly warm it had become.

When I use the phone, battery life goes down. When sat on the desk unused, the battery graph shows a flat line as one would expect but very rarely got.

Now this could be completely unfixed and perhaps tomorrow I'll have a terrible day, but today things are tracking really well. Will update in a few days if things stay good/go bad.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: 1308 first impressions - good!

as it might be another month until AT&T did an update.

Nekminnit, OTA released less than 24h later. gg

At least a flash helps clear out any crap that might have been stuck on your phone, always feels nicer after a complete wipe (and after all the time spent reconfiguring everything :)

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Considering that each user has different usage habits of others, it is difficult (perhaps unwise) to make comparisons about battery consumption ...
Some guys use their phones extensively, others not so!

Trust me (although you probably wont), If i left my phone sitting at home not being used AT ALL, it would die in about 48h (my iphone 4 could go a solid 4 days like this).
Nfc off, 4g on, wifi always on, email checks every 30mins, bluetooth off, only 1 app (milkman) in background. Flashed this thing numerous times trying to fix it, but the battery is shocking.
8-10h is the best case scenario for me, if i dont use it much at all (occasional text, check fb) maybe 12h at a stretch.

Really saddening to see people getting amazing life. Sigh. Even taken it to my telco twice and been without my phone for a month and they said nothing is wrong with it.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Trust me (although you probably wont), If i left my phone sitting at home not being used AT ALL, it would die in about 48h (my iphone 4 could go a solid 4 days like this).
Nfc off, 4g on, wifi always on, email checks every 30mins, bluetooth off, only 1 app (milkman) in background. Flashed this thing numerous times trying to fix it, but the battery is shocking.
8-10h is the best case scenario for me, if i dont use it much at all (occasional text, check fb) maybe 12h at a stretch.

Really saddening to see people getting amazing life. Sigh. Even taken it to my telco twice and been without my phone for a month and they said nothing is wrong with it.

why don't you set it to "as items arrive" so it's push emails rather than your phone having to hunt for it every time.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is continuing to be much better here after the update. :)

Don't know how much of that is the update and how much is because I did the full-flash method of update.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
After I got the 1308 update, I am having bad connection issues. SMS texts fail, calls drop. Also, since the upgrade, I can no longer access Field Test Mode. They seem to have closed that loophole?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
These updates are only for those who have already upgraded to firmware 1308.xx
Check for himself and see.
Nokia Windows Phone 8 App Updates - Nokia Support Discussions

Mainly the following features:

Access Point
Network+ (previously Calls + SMS)
Extras + Info

Funny thing when I scanned all but the access point I already had or thats what it showsd after clicking on marketplace and there were update days 2/25/13 3/26/13

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Also, since the upgrade, I can no longer access Field Test Mode. They seem to have closed that loophole?

Same here... tried ##3282 which did nothing and ##3282# which brought up my mobile number.

This sucks because I would always switch my device to edge when my battery was low.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
How do you actually close apps in windows phone 8? The multitasking is a huge problem for me but not end of world is there a way to close apps?
repeatedly press back arrow until pressing it does nothing. You can kill background apps in Settings/swipe left to Applications

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone having network and data connection issues after this update? Although my battery seems much better, network is terrible! Even with 5 bars and 3G+ sometimes I cannot even open a normal webpage or load comments in WPC app!

eagle628

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Another thing I have noticed, is that when you play a song from a long list of music, and I'm talking 2000 songs long, it loads instantly, instead of stalling for about 15 seconds.

Alas, no improvement for me. I hope they follow the Win8 Xbox Music update with a WP8 one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb