I've had picture quality issues with my 920 from the moment I bought it. The primary reason I got the 920 was for the camera quality (especially the image stabilizer to document my young sons life).

Unfortunately every single picture I tale turns out blurry. Half the time when I focus (either by tapping the screen or by half pressing the camera button) the camera will focus fine and then a split second after the picture snaps the screen does a slight shift and the image ends up blurry. The other half of the time it won't even focus on anything no matter what I do. At this point my camera is pretty much useless.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    03-25-2013 03:54 PM
    Sorry to ask but are you sure that your camera lens is clean (yeah, it becomes really easily dirty) and did you check that the scene is auto ? - well, it is also possible that you have a faulty camera (makes blurry photos) - so just compare your photos to a a sticky thread photos ...
    03-25-2013 04:02 PM
    Looks like it's set up for a close-up shot.
    03-25-2013 04:05 PM
    Looks like it's set up for a close-up shot.
    +1, make sure your settings are not set to "close-up".
    03-25-2013 04:08 PM
    Sorry to ask but did you view your pictures on PC or phone?
    03-25-2013 04:30 PM
    Just check and all my camera settings are set to "auto" or the defaults. The pictures are noticably blurry on the phone and horribly blurry when blown up to pc screen size. I tried cleaning the lens very well and even removed the case thinking it was trying to focus on the edge of it but nothing works.

It seems like a software issue and my phone is up to date but I'm really at a loss and it doesn't seem like many people are having the same issues I am. When everyone else takes the picture do you get that slight screen shift right after it 'snaps' the pic? Even when it focuses and it looks crystal clear on my screen, the moment the screen shifts and I see the quick preview (before it slides to the side) the picture is blurry, every time.
    03-25-2013 05:08 PM
    Even when it focuses and it looks crystal clear on my screen, the moment the screen shifts and I see the quick preview (before it slides to the side) the picture is blurry, every time.
    I just got my L920 a few days ago. I have found that the camera performs way better than my HD7 and dare I say at times close to a compact point and shoot. That said, I think you are talking about the time between the click noise (or your tap or your shutter button press) and the time that the image is actually taken. There can be a small gap. It was bigger in WP7/HD7, but yes it is there.

To be honest, I don't think cell phone cameras are the ideal way of taking pictures of kids moving around. I am sometimes challenged to get a clean picture using my DSLR where I can set high shutter speeds, have burst modes, and compensate for light. The boy just moves around a lot. I think the L920 has a fine camera for a cell phone, but I think it's a stretch to expect any cell phone camera to get good grabs of a young child's activities. Invest in a real camera or use video and keep your Lumia as an auxiliary.

If you take a still of some inanimate objects in the day time are they still blurry? If so, you may have some kind of defect. If not, then it's not the camera but likely what you're trying to do with it. :)
    03-25-2013 09:19 PM
    I kinda agreed with the OP. I think there is great variation in 920 lens quality. Mine is just as the OP says but not as blurry as his. Mine also focuses' more on the soft side too. I have Portico so think it's a hardware issue and hope to get my camera module changed.
    03-26-2013 02:24 AM
    I got the lumia primarily for the camer/camcorder quality, to catch those moments that I'd miss as I don't have my point and shoot camera on me at all times (though it's usually in my bag!). My youngest is a very lively 21 month old and it captures clearer moving shots better than my husbands Note2. Before portico the images were okay but not as clear as I'd hoped. It seemed to be taking a great picture a split second before it captured it would become dull and disappointing. However, after portico the light and detail in the pictures - mainly of my children, especially the youngest - is much better, it captures the moment much clearer, like the shot you talk about in OP before it blurs. Not every time, but enough that I am really happy I got the phone as the camcorder is amazing. I would return this phone and ask for another, I really think you must have a faulty one. Don't give up though, as once you see it how it should work I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.
    03-26-2013 08:44 AM
    Just check and all my camera settings are set to "auto" or the defaults. The pictures are noticably blurry on the phone and horribly blurry when blown up to pc screen size. I tried cleaning the lens very well and even removed the case thinking it was trying to focus on the edge of it but nothing works.

It seems like a software issue and my phone is up to date but I'm really at a loss and it doesn't seem like many people are having the same issues I am. When everyone else takes the picture do you get that slight screen shift right after it 'snaps' the pic? Even when it focuses and it looks crystal clear on my screen, the moment the screen shifts and I see the quick preview (before it slides to the side) the picture is blurry, every time.
    I got the lumia primarily for the camer/camcorder quality, to catch those moments that I'd miss as I don't have my point and shoot camera on me at all times (though it's usually in my bag!). My youngest is a very lively 21 month old and it captures clearer moving shots better than my husbands Note2. Before portico the images were okay but not as clear as I'd hoped. It seemed to be taking a great picture a split second before it captured it would become dull and disappointing. However, after portico the light and detail in the pictures - mainly of my children, especially the youngest - is much better, it captures the moment much clearer, like the shot you talk about in OP before it blurs. Not every time, but enough that I am really happy I got the phone as the camcorder is amazing. I would return this phone and ask for another, I really think you must have a faulty one. Don't give up though, as once you see it how it should work I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.
    The slight shift or clear pic just a second before the actual click - both these things are evident on all Lumias.

There is a thread where someone has shown how it's not the issue with photos, but the way pictures hub renders after it is taken. If it is blurry like "drunk blurry" then definitely it's the handset. However, if you are talking specifically about how the image shifts a little after it's captured the moment, it won't be as blurry when you put that pic on computer as it will be rendered correctly OR there was an app suggested - HD photoviewer? I'm not sure if I remember the name correctly, but there is this free HD viewer app. I installed it and viewed by default wallpaper and they were sharp like a new knife under sunlight! So that explained to me the whole rendering scenario.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...g-problem.html
    May be you should give it a read before you return the handset. However, if that thread doesn't make sense - exchange the handset for sure! You are missing out on gem of mobile photography!

Meanwhile : Enjoy some really good quality pics by the community posted in this thread - http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...our-920-a.html
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-26-2013 08:50 AM
    I am having this issue as well. It started after the 1308 update. I found a thread on Nokia's forum that desbribes the problem very well.

I noticed that the camera lost its ability to lock on to the right focal distance while taking pictures. when you do the half press it will traverse through the focal plane in search of the right focus, that time I can see it went up to the right focal length and plane but comes out to a non-sharp plane and stays. when you take the photograph it takes that unfocused image.

This is the problem I have which was not a problem before the 1308 update. I take picture often with my phone. Before the update they are all sharp and focused, now after the update every picture is blurry.
    04-25-2013 02:51 PM
    Did you try reset your camera ? (settings - applications - photos+camera)
    04-25-2013 05:18 PM
    I was having this problem with my Lumina as well. Had it replaced with another Lumina, and now it works great. I'm convinced this is a hardware problem.
    04-25-2013 10:40 PM
    I have same problem. All my pictures are blurry. I purchased this phone because reviews said it had excellent camera. I haven't had a decent picture since I got the phone 2 weeks ago. also, it switches to the Bing before I can even get it snapped half the time.
    08-24-2014 08:48 PM