Phone loses connection when dormant. Please help.

Eye Doc

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have an AT&T-branded Lumia 920. As background info, I keep my data and wi-fi connections off until I need them.

I've been having an issue for the past two months or so whereby my phone loses connection after being dormant for some time. I can't say what the threshold after which it loses connection is with any certainty, but I would estimate it to be around one hour. Once it loses connection, I do not receive any text messages, calls, or voicemails until I attempt to send a message or make a call. During this time of dormancy, the phone always shows three signal bars. However, when I make a call or send a text message the signal bar immediately flashes the no signal symbol and then updates to the real current signal strength. A few minutes later I get a barrage of text messages that had been sent to me during the period of dormancy but that I didn't receive until I manually reestablish connection (the texts list the timestamp from when they were sent). However, I do not receive notifications of missed calls (though I do get voicemails that were left, if I check for them).

This issue happens every day, without fail, and has resulted in me missing important text messages and calls. A month ago I contacted AT&T tech support, and they told me the registration for my phone in their system looked "weird" and then proceeded to re-register my phone. This did not solve my problem.

Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Does the problem persist if you leave your mobile data switched on?

It would also help to know which firmware version you currently have - go to settings > about > more information and tell us what it says for Firmware revision number and Radio software version.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The only connection issue I have observed with mine is sometimes I lost my data connection after it is dormant for a period of time or while it is charging. This has never affected my calls or texts but has FB notifications, browsing pages, etc. I have learned to get this back by simply opening my browswer going into "tabs" and closing out the active tab there and then relaunching my browser. Once I do that I no longer get page cannot be displayed and my browser and other internet connections come back.

nlcbryan

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem and restart of the phone will help (sometimes do a soft reset by pressing volume down + power for ten sec, soft rest does make it happens less frequently). Change your connection speed to 3G as highest.

This problem happens more frequently when you are in a lower reception area that jumps between 2G to 3G or 4G.

I would like to see Nokia/MS fixing this problem. Because it is really annoying..

Eye Doc

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Does the problem persist if you leave your mobile data switched on?

It would also help to know which firmware version you currently have - go to settings > about > more information and tell us what it says for Firmware revision number and Radio software version.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if having the data switched on solves the problem; I think it might. However, I don't want to have to leave that on all the time so as to conserve battery.

Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.0001
Radio software version: 1.0.202075.3

I don't seem to have a settings page where I can change my highest connection speed. My "cellular" setting page only has data connection on/off and roam/don't roam options. I do have an access point setting page which seems to have "AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia" as active.

Restarting my phone has had no effect, but I do think that this problem only occurs in places where the signal strength is less than ideal (i.e. my home).

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Restarting my phone has had no effect

Do you mean that restarting your phone doesn't get your connection working again? Or just that restarting your phone doesn't stop the connection dropping out again after an hour?

Assuming it's the latter, can you do the following:

Dial ##3282 [call]
In the field test menu, select LTE and note the contents of the display
Use the back key to exit
Wait for the phone to "die" and repeat the attached
Post both sets of results up here.

What I am wondering is if the combination of low signal strength and the phone's various power saving modes is causing either the phone or your nearest cell tower to drop the link. Hopefully the diags will show this. If so, I think this is resolved in the 1308 firmware.

Eye Doc

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I meant the latter.

The first two screenshots are from when my phone was functioning normally:
wp_ss_20130326_0003.png wp_ss_20130326_0004.png

This from a period where my phone is dormant and not responding:
wp_ss_20130326_0005.png

This is immediately after when I sent a text message to re-establish connection:
wp_ss_20130326_0007.png

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that's helpful insofar as it rules out my theory that the radio is going to sleep because of a marginal signal and ENS being enabled. There's plenty of signal (in LTE terms). You are running on the merged Cingular/AT&T network.

As the 1308 firmware is now being rolled out for AT&T customers I'd be tempted to wait for that before going any further.

pinoyrepn1124

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean that restarting your phone doesn't get your connection working again? Or just that restarting your phone doesn't stop the connection dropping out again after an hour?

Assuming it's the latter, can you do the following:

Dial ##3282 [call]
In the field test menu, select LTE and note the contents of the display
Use the back key to exit
Wait for the phone to "die" and repeat the attached
Post both sets of results up here.

What I am wondering is if the combination of low signal strength and the phone's various power saving modes is causing either the phone or your nearest cell tower to drop the link. Hopefully the diags will show this. If so, I think this is resolved in the 1308 firmware.

I downloaded the new update and ##3282 does not seem to work any longer. It just tries to make a call to that number :(

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
One of my previous 920s had a similar issue. When put to sleep, the phone had trouble staying connected to the signal. So it would drain the battery like crazy. When i woke up the phone, i see the signal bar change to the no signal icon and then wait a bit and then increases from 1 to 3 or 4 bars thereafter. If i put the phone to sleep again, i wake it up, same thing.

At this point, not sure why you waited two months to do anything, if your phone does not work properly do a warranty exchange. Dont try to fix a broken phone, return a broken phone. Im on my 4th 920, i dont care what it is, if it doesnt work right, im not troubleshooting, im exchanging it.

I suggest you do the same instead of trying to fix a broken phone.

If you exchange your phone and it still happens, then its probably not your phone, its your area.

Eye Doc

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I updated to 1308, and the ##3282 portal no longer works. However, I would like to note that the radio software has also been updated. I do not know as of yet if this will solve the connection issue I have been having, but I will see if it does and reply to this thread accordingly.

To dkp23, I purchased my 920 from Walmart back when they were free there. Exchanging it there would be difficult at best, but I'll see what happens.

pinoyrepn1124

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I updated to 1308, and the ##3282 portal no longer works. However, I would like to note that the radio software has also been updated. I do not know as of yet if this will solve the connection issue I have been having, but I will see if it does and reply to this thread accordingly.

To dkp23, I purchased my 920 from Walmart back when they were free there. Exchanging it there would be difficult at best, but I'll see what happens.

Ok this is a problem cuz I had mine set to 3g in order to save battery life and now I cant switch back to get LTE . . Please post if anyone finds a workaround . . I would like to have LTE back :(

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok this is a problem cuz I had mine set to 3g in order to save battery life and now I cant switch back to get LTE . . Please post if anyone finds a workaround . . I would like to have LTE back :(

Probably your only choice would be to flash a non-AT&T version of the ROM, use ##3282 to set LTE back on and then flash the AT&T version back again.

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have an AT&T-branded Lumia 920. As background info, I keep my data and wi-fi connections off until I need them.

I've been having an issue for the past two months or so whereby my phone loses connection after being dormant for some time. I can't say what the threshold after which it loses connection is with any certainty, but I would estimate it to be around one hour. Once it loses connection, I do not receive any text messages, calls, or voicemails until I attempt to send a message or make a call. During this time of dormancy, the phone always shows three signal bars. However, when I make a call or send a text message the signal bar immediately flashes the no signal symbol and then updates to the real current signal strength. A few minutes later I get a barrage of text messages that had been sent to me during the period of dormancy but that I didn't receive until I manually reestablish connection (the texts list the timestamp from when they were sent). However, I do not receive notifications of missed calls (though I do get voicemails that were left, if I check for them).

This issue happens every day, without fail, and has resulted in me missing important text messages and calls. A month ago I contacted AT&T tech support, and they told me the registration for my phone in their system looked "weird" and then proceeded to re-register my phone. This did not solve my problem.

Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have the same issue as well. What I do is I turn on/off the airplane mode and that resets the connections for me. I always thought it was ATT bad service as i've been a verizon user untill L920. so I guess it's my nokia not att

Eye Doc

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
After a few more days of testing, it has become apparent that the firmware update in fact did not solve the dormant connection issue. How deflating.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss