New Updates from Microsoft and Nokia GDR2

Ignotum666

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Great News:

Windows Phone 8 update to activate FM radios, enable double-tap to wake Lumia 920 | The Verge

Microsoft is currently preparing a new Windows Phone 8 update, The Verge has learned. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed that the software maker plans to support FM radio hardware in its latest update, returning a hardware feature that the company dropped with its latest mobile OS. Windows Phone 7 used to support FM radio hardware, and Microsoft has been working to bring this support back to Windows Phone 8. The hardware support will be part of a General Distribution Release (GDR2) for Windows Phone 8. We understand that the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 will support FM radio, while other compatible handsets will also include the support.

Nokia is also building in its own firmware improvements into GDR2. Sources familiar with Nokia's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company will add a new screen activation gesture. Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 owners will be able to double-tap the screen to wake the device from standby. Other firmware specific improvements from Nokia include a flip to silence option, and Lumia color profile settings for the device screen. We're told that the update, which is minor, will be made available over the coming months.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Double tap to wake up the same with Nokia N9 - MeeGo is the first swipe ui that is copied by Blackberry, The MeeGo Cards is renamed to Blackberry Frames, Social/Rss Feed - Blackberry Hub

Yeah, I think that all old N9 users are sometimes double tapping their screen, just like an old habit, but it does not work with Lumia 920 (yet) ... I am missing that feature ...

Giles R DeMourot

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Great News:

Windows Phone 8 update to activate FM radios, enable double-tap to wake Lumia 920 | The Verge

Microsoft is currently preparing a new Windows Phone 8 update, The Verge has learned. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed that the software maker plans to support FM radio hardware in its latest update, returning a hardware feature that the company dropped with its latest mobile OS. Windows Phone 7 used to support FM radio hardware, and Microsoft has been working to bring this support back to Windows Phone 8. The hardware support will be part of a General Distribution Release (GDR2) for Windows Phone 8. We understand that the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 will support FM radio, while other compatible handsets will also include the support.

Nokia is also building in its own firmware improvements into GDR2. Sources familiar with Nokia's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company will add a new screen activation gesture. Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 owners will be able to double-tap the screen to wake the device from standby. Other firmware specific improvements from Nokia include a flip to silence option, and Lumia color profile settings for the device screen. We're told that the update, which is minor, will be made available over the coming months.

Months? Dopn't you mean weeks?

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
As a former N9 user, I find myself double tapping my Lumia 920 every now and then waiting for the screen to light up... I usually do it until I remember that it is not my N9... BTW, I still keep my N9, locked up in a box for emergencies...

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, me too ... as long as there is power in battery and when low bat, then you start miss FM radio ...

It's also helpful for people that don't want to use data while commuting. Things like this will certainly help people on lower tiered data allotments which goes nicely with the low priced Lumias I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)