Who will be sticking with the 920, who will be moving onto the next big release?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded and bought the Lumia 900 when that came out back last year. I then bought the Lumia 920 off contract at full price. So I'm due for an upgrade later this year so I'm probably gonna get me a new phone. Hopefully Nokia and Microsoft launch something so crazy I can't resist. Cause if the iPhone 5S seems better I might have to get it. I really like getting all the new games when they come out and that's almost impossible with windows phone. Hopefully we can get games like real racing, infinity blade, and other major games at launch. I hate IOS but I love games and I love windows phone but the Xbox part of that is a joke and windows phone has been lacking in the gpu department.

I'm just hoping Nokia doesn't follow the path of iPhones by just adding minor features each year. Keep innovating, Nokia! Let's bring out the flexible screens you were touting late last year! Something new that I can be proud to show off!

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I'll be keeping the 920 until my upgrade period is due. I highly doubt devices that come out this fall will blow it away that much, and it's more than powerful enough to handle things for another year. Sure it won't be top dog in 2014, but it's still a solid device and more than meets my needs.

Daniel Meek

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on what is released and where the technology is going. There are a few things that would have me jump the gun on an upgrade if they became available and useful:
1) Some way to have a video output from my phone so that I can do PPT presentations, screen sharing, or play videos from my phone to a TV. I don't particularly care if it is a physical connection, or WiDi, or some form of AirPlay, I will find a way to make it work for me. This would be hugely useful for work and would be the last feature needed in order to fully replace my laptop.
2) If a hardware upgrade is required in order to get Wallet to work for NFC payments from my bank acct then I will do it. This feature is so important to me that I will switch platforms if it is not in working order by the time my next upgrade comes around. My phone is much more secure than my cards or cash in my wallet that someone can just run off with and use simply because my phone has a password to use it, and another password to use the wallet functionality. I would be much more annoyed if my phone was stolen, but I am fairly sure that I could disable my phone faster than they could get into it and use it compared to cash and cards.
3) If some monster games come out that I get addicted to, but require better hardware than I have, then I would upgrade. However, it would seem that most games are not that graphically intensive, and the games that are graphically intense tend not to lend themselves to being fun to play on a touch format, so I am fairly sure that this will not be a problem over the next 2 years.

All that said, when the contract is up and it becomes available to have new phones, then I will ditch my L920 at the drop of a hat. I love it and all, but I am sure there are going to be much more impressive phones by the end of 2014, and the whole point to paying a contract is to get that cheaper up front cost on new phones, so I intend to use that liberally.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll be holding on to my phone. It's a total waste of money to jump onto the next phone the instant it's released. It's not going to net anyone much of anything beyond the satisfaction of owning the latest phone. The way these cycles always go, regardless of platform, it will be 6 months to a year before anyone starts taking advantage of the new hardware anyway. In the meantime people will just complain that no one is supporting the new phone.

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Still have a year and a half on 920 contract. Will have to see if the next is worth it. With WP8 I feel satisfied unlike when on Android you felt outdated and something new was much better. May go for the next flagship device if its an OS upgrade ahead and much better in camera.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I only upgrade when my contract is up, and then sometimes I still don't. Kept my last phone about 5 years. So, if my 920 is still being the beast that it is, I may switch back to Straight Talk, save a little cash and keep rocking it. I always want the newest and the best, but I am logical and understand that what I have is good enough.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
If the changes are substantial, and if there are more colours available in my area, aka aluminum-cyan, then I'll save up money for it. !!

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I will be sticking with my 920 unless the differences are so monumental that I have no choice but to upgrade lol. I am thinking the biggest improvements will be in the software which I will see on my 920 anyway so I doubt I will be changing handsets anytime soon :)

lgdlman

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Off contract right now, waiting for the (Verizon) 928 next month or it will be an an HTC 8X, no 920 option through Verizon. Was going to look at the BB Z10 and maybe the new iOS, but that would be same old same old.

nrockz

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Will Hang around untill contract is due till Dec 2014 for a upgrade ...........but would consider getting the new one if it is the NEXT BING THING.........:winktongue:

but 920 is tough enough to bear physical abuse:devil: for 2 years:cool:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade is now ready and waiting.. Assuming ATT gets a new Nokia that is > L920, I'll be there on release day.

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Great to see so many replies all in favour of holding onto it, I agree it's got a few years in it before it gets 'old'. I love my Lumia and am glad I took the chance on the 'underdog'. Got to say, the support on this forum makes it a better all round experience :love:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It all depends what the next big release is, but I'd venture a guess that I'll be happy enough to keep the L920 at least until the end of my ATT contract. If a Surface Phone comes out and it is on par with the tablets, I'd consider getting a new line and having both phones.

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My HTC trophy has a cracked screen, vertical/horizontal motion detector died, buttons are failing, battery drain is getting worse and the speed of the phone processor is detoriorating. I am off contract. This phantom 928 better be real and come out in hopefully two to three weeks. I plan on buying the new KING at full price to keep my unlimited data plan.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Just interested to know how many will move onto the next new Windows (or other platform) phone, and who will be sticking with the Lumia for the length of a contract? I've got mine til I can upgrade in December 2014. Don't see me shelling out for a new handset within my current contract. Although I will be jealous when the next one has a brilliant camera :p

Rollover to newest hardware when I am able to upgrade. That's about the effective technology lifespan of a device anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes