The Battery Icon of Doom

twaffles

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
My phone died (because it ran out of battery) and now when I plug it in, my Lumia 920 will boot up, hit the charging screen, then do the whole question mark in front of the battery image. I looked and tried the fixes with the 820 and the 900, neither worked. I tried using different charging cords, tried charging it through my computer and plugged into a wall, still no dice. As far as I know, I have the most current update for WP8. I doubt this matters, but I'm using a Lumia 920 from AT&T. I've tried letting my phone cool down between attempts and everything. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to fix it?

*Edit: I forgot to mention it restarts on it's own and is in a constant loop when it's plugged in

Last edited:

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about that. If it's the same problem that afflicted the 800 & 900 then you may have to try what you have done multiple times. If I get caught out with my 800 then I charge it with the wall charger for 5 mins then while its still plugged in hold vol down and lock buttons for 10 secs, repeat until phone vibrates, disconnect from charger hold the same buttons again and it should vibrate again and start up. Then get it back on the charger. It's a real dog and pony show but I have to do it every time my 800 goes flat. 920 may well have a different problem but see how you get on :-D

twaffles

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about that. If it's the same problem that afflicted the 800 & 900 then you may have to try what you have done multiple times. If I get caught out with my 800 then I charge it with the wall charger for 5 mins then while its still plugged in hold vol down and lock buttons for 10 secs, repeat until phone vibrates, disconnect from charger hold the same buttons again and it should vibrate again and start up. Then get it back on the charger. It's a real dog and pony show but I have to do it every time my 800 goes flat. 920 may well have a different problem but see how you get on :-D

Even if it's doing the battery question mark thing, is it actually charging?

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe so, the first time i had this problem i let ot charge for an hour, when i finally got it going there was about 4% battery. Like i say, mines 800, 920 may differ

Ayush_WP

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem. It was showing the charging sign mot a question mark. I did the soft reset(as explained above) started fine.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I would suggst u try the following - plug it into a wall, and let it charge for cca 2 hrs. If it does not start up, try to do a soft reset (vol down+lock for 15 secs - it has to be a little longer). If this doesn't help, then try a hard reset - vol down, lock and camera button (search the exact procedure here on the forums). If the won't start up after all this, then my friend try to get a replacement if possible.

nokia3660

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
It has happened to me when I intentionally let my 920 run out of battery (with a false hope of increasing my horrendous battery life). The phone refused to even boot-up even after I put it on charge. Well I just let it charge for close to a couple of hours and the phone came to life. I thought that I was some kinda bug and never let my phone go completely flat.

My advice, just plug it into the wall socket charger and go watch a movie or something :p

twaffles

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Let me modify my response. My phone restarts and has this on a constant loop. Everyone says power down, but there's no possibility to. I've tried holding the power down button, but whenever my phone plugs it, it restarts on it's own and everything.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
@twaffles - it is a normal behaviour of the phone, so don't bother with it. It cannot be powered off during charging!

Spot on - normal operation for a Lumia is to turn on once connected to a charger. Most phones with this problem won't though, they just sit dormant. If your phone turns on but won't progress past battery icon, then disconnect from charger and power off, then do the soft reset. You may want to give it an hour or so on charge first. Mine won't accept a charge in this state but yours might and the more juice you have the more resets you can squeeze out in case it doesn't work the first couple of times.

Liam Geary

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem with my HTC 8s and i dicovered leaving the phone for a week and then sticking the charger in it brought it back to life i think by making sure the phone is so dead then charging it should work im having this problem again because i used a differant charger to that of my own but im too impatient to do it again so im trying to find out a quicker process

iwannalearnmore

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
My brother's phone is having a similar problem. It's a nokia lumia 720 and it fell off my hand at about 4 feets -ish. The battery died after and when I put it to charge it will display the charging screen with a question mark. I've tried the soft reset and hard reset. nothing! I would like to add that it cannot turn on and when i connect it to a pc with a data cable, a message box on the pc displays "the nokia bootmgr" is unplugged" and that i should locate and install the device drivers for it. What does this mean? pls, help me out before my bro does something nasty to me. He spent almost half his life earnings on it

Aditya Dash

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem with my HTC 8s and i dicovered leaving the phone for a week and then sticking the charger in it brought it back to life i think by making sure the phone is so dead then charging it should work im having this problem again because i used a differant charger to that of my own but im too impatient to do it again so im trying to find out a quicker process
I am also facing the same problem with my htc 8s
What is the solution?

udulik

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Hello! I have a Nokia Lumia 625 phone with the same issue. The problem is that the resistor on the back of the powerflex is in short-circuit! It is a hardware problem! You need to remove the adhesive around the resistor! Good luck! On other models, look for connectivity issues, short-circuit in other parts! Another temporary solution for recovery is to power up the phone and then disconnecting the powerflex from the motherboard! [IMG="image"]http://s3.amazonaws.com/thmb.inkfrog.com/pix/gadgetfix/nokia625powerflex.jpg/690/0[/IMG]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention