looking for a bit of advice before getting a 920

wellsmanfu

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to go get AT&T service soon because it works great where I live and I want a Windows Phone 8 phone. My only question is whether I should go get the 920 now, or hold out for something new. The 920 has been out for a while and I don't want to get it and then have something new come out a month later. I know it's virtually impossible to keep up with the latest phones, but I just don't want to get the older model if the newer one is right around the corner.

Thanks for any advice y'all can give me.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My L920 is a beast it only came out late Nov so its still fairly new as is wp8 so I hope updates keep coming so that if another one comes out my l920should still be a respectable device

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any rumors of a new Lumia coming to AT&T.

I would get it. In fact I just got mine a month ago. It has been great. :D

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Its hard to say. It is a great phone. Lots to like about it. The problem is that there are so many small issues. If you get unlucky you could get a myriad of those issues. If you want to go with the safe bet go with an iphone, but if you are dead set on WP8, which it seems you are, I would just go with the 920 or 8x. Otherwise you could continually justify waiting for the next best thing. Just hope you get a phone that doesn't have issues over and over. Read the forums for tips to common problems and you will love the phone

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely do not go for an 8X. Nokia's support, hardware, and software (and updates) are absolutely superior to HTC's.

There are tons of users with 0 issues, like me. Remember in a forum you tend to only hear about people with problems.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd say just get it. Seems to be a surge of activity in WP8 lately so why not get in on it now? L920 is the best phone around in my biased opinion. :) But seriously unless you're obsessive about just constantly having the latest what do you really NEED that the L920 can't give you right now?

wellsmanfu

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm definitely getting a wp device. I've used windows phone before and love it. I'm using android now, but I don't want it anymore and I'm ready to go back to wp. Tried the iPhone and I just wasn't impressed. I know that no phone is perfect and they all have their issues, but I can deal with little things. I'm basically just making sure I haven't missed any news about any impending phone releases before I pull the trigger on the 920. I'll most likely order one soon.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is my favorite phone ever. I've had no problems at all with mine. Nokia is a killer company with great service and beautiful devices. I liked them before getting the 920, but I love them now :) If you're going to wait, wait until Sept/Oct - that's when the new flagship will probably hit on AT&T. If you need a phone now, I'd say get the 920 - it's not like the Android world where your phone is pretty much obsolete and uncared for after the first three months - the 920 really should be good for just about everything for the next two years, and MS promised that all WP8 phones would get the next major update, so you shouldn't be left in the lurch.

That being said, on moving from Android to Windows, be sure adequate research on the ecosystem before converting - make sure the apps you rely on have equivalents on WP. Know that you're not getting a notification center until (probably) the next major update. Read a bit on the boards about some of the annoyances that other Android converts had to put up with and make sure that's not a dealbreaker for you. I switched from both Android and iOS to WP8 and I'm still stoked about it, but others have expressed disappointment.

*edit* - had this window open for the last 20 mins, so I didn't see your very last post. Sounds like you know what you're getting into - good! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre