My bad luck with the Nokia Lumia 920 screen...

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
People will say anything to make themselves feel better IMO. If saying the 920, GS3, iPhone 5, etc is easy to break or bad quality makes you feel better when you drop and break your phone more power to you

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on the angle of impact to the concrete. You can drop a phone 10 times from the same height and nothing would happen. But, it it hits just right, cablamo!! It's just the luck of the draw. The 920 is a tank.

Sorry for your loss.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've had the opposite experience. Mine fell between my seat and the center consol. It was a one in a million shot. When I couldn't reach it I hit the light and the phone was jammed against the bolt that holds the seat belt with the screen facing the bolt. Oh S!@#! After an initial melt down I gently pulled the phone out of scratch **** and and not a visible mark. If I get just the right light I can see a small nik. The 920 is very good build.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Take note to how many people are walking around with banged-up IOS and Android devices. I've seen some peoples screens so cracked and broken I wonder how they can read anything on it. Some people are just hard on things. My roommate for example. I don't care what kind of electronic device it is, she will have it messed up in two days. I'm to the point where I have stopped helping her fix them.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
People will say anything to make themselves feel better IMO. If saying the 920, GS3, iPhone 5, etc is easy to break or bad quality makes you feel better when you drop and break your phone more power to you

But the iPhone is literally made of glass front and back, and it's not gorilla glass...
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The 920s are pretty damn tough. Certainly touch than the iPhone and most of Samsung cheap *** ****.

You had bad luck, that's it. Nothing unusually fragile about it.

Actually Samsung are more rugged than you think. They don't bend like the iPhone 5, and I know this is nothing to do with durability but the Ativ S is the only flagship WP8 with no teething issues like pealing finish on the 8X or the long list of problems with the 920.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the 920 is the most fragile phone I have owned. I cracked the screen on mine within 3 weeks of owning it - from a 3 foot fall onto asphalt.

In my 5 years of owning and dropping many different smartphones many times, I have never once cracked the glass on any of them.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what glass it is, the slightest fall at the wrong angle, that display can break on any phone. I think if anything, had you had a zagg screen protector, this may not have happened. This sucks. Hopefully you can find the replacement parts for a decent price.
I run the Nokia ZZ-1043 Nokia case and that offers some body protection and its hard to tell there's a case on the phone. I had a zagg screen protector before this case , and the other cases would eventually start lifting the zagg protector off. I think its due to the beveled glass, but I'll be installing another zagg to see if it will stay on with the Nokia case.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what glass it is, the slightest fall at the wrong angle, that display can break on any phone. I think if anything, had you had a zagg screen protector, this may not have happened. This sucks. Hopefully you can find the replacement parts for a decent price.
I run the Nokia ZZ-1043 Nokia case and that offers some body protection and its hard to tell there's a case on the phone. I had a zagg screen protector before this case , and the other cases would eventually start lifting the zagg protector off. I think its due to the beveled glass, but I'll be installing another zagg to see if it will stay on with the Nokia case.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
mine stays on with my cc-1043 and I swap put the colors often

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One more luck of the draw story - Most of my zip-up sweatshirts and jackets have inner pockets. One that I rarely wear has a fake inner pocket (outer pocket attached with loose string to the inside). Without thinking, I put the phone in the fake pocket, and.. well... I'm 6'2 and happened to be standing on concrete. I don't know how it hit exactly because I was so shocked and didn't want to look, but I ended up with no screen damage, one chipped corner and a few minor scratches you can't see from the front and it still works fine. It's all about how it hits.

*edit* - for the record, I believe the iPhone 4/4S is the most fragile phone ever. I'm very careful not to look at the screen too hard when I'm using one ;)

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Driving 370z here too. A month ago I put my phone on top of my car while chatting with co-worker on a parking garage. Heard a thump sound when backing off, I knew it was my phone when I saw my cupholder was empty lol. There was a minor scratch on the corner, very minor indeed.. no noticeable cosmetic damage nor minor scratches on the body (front and back).

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
*edit* - for the record, I believe the iPhone 4/4S is the most fragile phone ever. I'm very careful not to look at the screen too hard when I'm using one ;)

I was on Disneyworld sitting on a sidewalk waiting for a parade, I was taking a picture and the phone slipped and fell to the concrete from such a low height. Back panel glass shattered. Ridicullous.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I too ran over my Nokia, albeit a 900. I'm writing this post on it - screen is cracked in corner, but phone is nearly unscratched otherwise. Pretty amazing build quality, IMO...

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I think there is a perception that Gorilla Glass is tougher then it really is, a perception that is reinforced by all those tor torcher test YouTube videos. Gorilla Glass in a way may be worse then having a standard glass screen, because it provides a false sense of security.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Ah, the old case-vs-no case debate. Sorry for your loss - you've experienced first-hand why cases can be valuable. For a small 18-inch drop, even the cheapest Otterbox case probably would have saved your phone.

I don't currently have a case on my phone but it's something I'm leaning towards more and more each day. The really vicious and vocal anti-case attitude on this site (among others) is really baffling to me, and it rubs me the wrong way because folks read about how durable this phone is and then they think hey, I don't need a case after all. The reality is that all phones are fragile and all it takes is a small drop at the right angle and your phone is toast.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have no case, just the full body invisible shield, for every phone/device I buy. Believe it or not, it actually is spongy enough that I think it adds a foot or two of drop protection. I've had roughly... 15 or so mobile devices and never broken any of them (then again, I don't really drop my devices either).

If you are clumsy/drop your phone more than once a month, I seriously recommend playing with your phone. Like, tossing it between your hands. Throwing it and catching it... Flipping it around... Just handle it a lot when you're standing on a rug. Then you'll eventually get a feel for the device.

My martial art instructor recommended our class buy a knife and play/handle/toss it around to get a feel for it so we feel at home with holding it and become graceful with it. Same concept.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It all comes down on how you dropped the phone. I don't rely on drop tests at all since they really don't justify it. You have a 500 dollar gadget, you should know how to take care of it. That's horrible tho. I probably would not get over it that fast. Sorry about that

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It all comes down on how you dropped the phone. I don't rely on drop tests at all since they really don't justify it. You have a 500 dollar gadget, you should know how to take care of it. That's horrible tho. I probably would not get over it that fast. Sorry about that

I'm going to say what we need are more demolition tests. Such as how well the phone survives being next to a nuclear explosion, being blended, being sent to the Sun, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss