03-31-2013 11:37 AM
53 123
tools
    People will say anything to make themselves feel better IMO. If saying the 920, GS3, iPhone 5, etc is easy to break or bad quality makes you feel better when you drop and break your phone more power to you
    But the iPhone is literally made of glass front and back, and it's not gorilla glass...
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    03-29-2013 11:59 AM
    The 920s are pretty damn tough. Certainly touch than the iPhone and most of Samsung cheap *** ****.

You had bad luck, that's it. Nothing unusually fragile about it.
    Actually Samsung are more rugged than you think. They don't bend like the iPhone 5, and I know this is nothing to do with durability but the Ativ S is the only flagship WP8 with no teething issues like pealing finish on the 8X or the long list of problems with the 920.
    03-29-2013 04:36 PM
    I think the 920 is the most fragile phone I have owned. I cracked the screen on mine within 3 weeks of owning it - from a 3 foot fall onto asphalt.

In my 5 years of owning and dropping many different smartphones many times, I have never once cracked the glass on any of them.
    03-29-2013 05:24 PM
    I don't care what glass it is, the slightest fall at the wrong angle, that display can break on any phone. I think if anything, had you had a zagg screen protector, this may not have happened. This sucks. Hopefully you can find the replacement parts for a decent price.
    I run the Nokia ZZ-1043 Nokia case and that offers some body protection and its hard to tell there's a case on the phone. I had a zagg screen protector before this case , and the other cases would eventually start lifting the zagg protector off. I think its due to the beveled glass, but I'll be installing another zagg to see if it will stay on with the Nokia case.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    irvin792 likes this.
    03-29-2013 05:57 PM
    I don't care what glass it is, the slightest fall at the wrong angle, that display can break on any phone. I think if anything, had you had a zagg screen protector, this may not have happened. This sucks. Hopefully you can find the replacement parts for a decent price.
    I run the Nokia ZZ-1043 Nokia case and that offers some body protection and its hard to tell there's a case on the phone. I had a zagg screen protector before this case , and the other cases would eventually start lifting the zagg protector off. I think its due to the beveled glass, but I'll be installing another zagg to see if it will stay on with the Nokia case.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    mine stays on with my cc-1043 and I swap put the colors often
    03-29-2013 05:59 PM
    One more luck of the draw story - Most of my zip-up sweatshirts and jackets have inner pockets. One that I rarely wear has a fake inner pocket (outer pocket attached with loose string to the inside). Without thinking, I put the phone in the fake pocket, and.. well... I'm 6'2 and happened to be standing on concrete. I don't know how it hit exactly because I was so shocked and didn't want to look, but I ended up with no screen damage, one chipped corner and a few minor scratches you can't see from the front and it still works fine. It's all about how it hits.

*edit* - for the record, I believe the iPhone 4/4S is the most fragile phone ever. I'm very careful not to look at the screen too hard when I'm using one ;)
    03-29-2013 06:35 PM
    Driving 370z here too. A month ago I put my phone on top of my car while chatting with co-worker on a parking garage. Heard a thump sound when backing off, I knew it was my phone when I saw my cupholder was empty lol. There was a minor scratch on the corner, very minor indeed.. no noticeable cosmetic damage nor minor scratches on the body (front and back).
    03-29-2013 08:16 PM
    *edit* - for the record, I believe the iPhone 4/4S is the most fragile phone ever. I'm very careful not to look at the screen too hard when I'm using one ;)
    I was on Disneyworld sitting on a sidewalk waiting for a parade, I was taking a picture and the phone slipped and fell to the concrete from such a low height. Back panel glass shattered. Ridicullous.
    cameradork likes this.
    03-29-2013 08:19 PM
    I too ran over my Nokia, albeit a 900. I'm writing this post on it - screen is cracked in corner, but phone is nearly unscratched otherwise. Pretty amazing build quality, IMO...
    03-29-2013 08:21 PM
    I think there is a perception that Gorilla Glass is tougher then it really is, a perception that is reinforced by all those tor torcher test YouTube videos. Gorilla Glass in a way may be worse then having a standard glass screen, because it provides a false sense of security.
    03-29-2013 08:29 PM
    Ah, the old case-vs-no case debate. Sorry for your loss - you've experienced first-hand why cases can be valuable. For a small 18-inch drop, even the cheapest Otterbox case probably would have saved your phone.

I don't currently have a case on my phone but it's something I'm leaning towards more and more each day. The really vicious and vocal anti-case attitude on this site (among others) is really baffling to me, and it rubs me the wrong way because folks read about how durable this phone is and then they think hey, I don't need a case after all. The reality is that all phones are fragile and all it takes is a small drop at the right angle and your phone is toast.
    03-29-2013 08:59 PM
    I have no case, just the full body invisible shield, for every phone/device I buy. Believe it or not, it actually is spongy enough that I think it adds a foot or two of drop protection. I've had roughly... 15 or so mobile devices and never broken any of them (then again, I don't really drop my devices either).

If you are clumsy/drop your phone more than once a month, I seriously recommend playing with your phone. Like, tossing it between your hands. Throwing it and catching it... Flipping it around... Just handle it a lot when you're standing on a rug. Then you'll eventually get a feel for the device.

My martial art instructor recommended our class buy a knife and play/handle/toss it around to get a feel for it so we feel at home with holding it and become graceful with it. Same concept.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    abel920 likes this.
    03-29-2013 09:41 PM
    photo or fake
    03-29-2013 09:49 PM
    It all comes down on how you dropped the phone. I don't rely on drop tests at all since they really don't justify it. You have a 500 dollar gadget, you should know how to take care of it. That's horrible tho. I probably would not get over it that fast. Sorry about that
    03-30-2013 09:13 AM
    It all comes down on how you dropped the phone. I don't rely on drop tests at all since they really don't justify it. You have a 500 dollar gadget, you should know how to take care of it. That's horrible tho. I probably would not get over it that fast. Sorry about that
    I'm going to say what we need are more demolition tests. Such as how well the phone survives being next to a nuclear explosion, being blended, being sent to the Sun, etc.
    03-30-2013 09:34 AM
    It all depends on the angle of impact to the concrete. You can drop a phone 10 times from the same height and nothing would happen. But, it it hits just right, cablamo!! It's just the luck of the draw. The 920 is a tank.

Sorry for your loss.
    This, and it goes for just about every phone. Even to many of the "high durability phones" like Samsung xcover and whatnots. Sure, 9 times out of 10 those (and 920 too) can take a **** of a beating, just watch the videos online, but they all just about have the weak spot when it comes to big touch screens.

Saying that based on this 920 would be the most fragile phone is like me saying that 920 is the most durable phone ever cos I personally dropped mine DIRECTLY out of the box (opened it upside down accidently) to a wooden floor from a meter or so and nothing at all happened to it. I got lucky, you got unlucky.
    03-30-2013 10:03 AM
    It really just depends how it hits. I dropped my GS3 twice. The first time it was in a hoodie pocket. I turned and the phone didn't. Hit the concrete from waist level. No damage. The second time I had it at head level and someone hit me and it dropped on the sidewalk. Small chip in the plastic and a scuff mark.

My girlfriend was sitting in a theatre seat and it fell one foot into carpet. Screen shattered. It sucks if it just hits the right way.

My iPhone4 survived numerous beatings before it broke. I hated that phone, and threw it/slammed it off things many times before I broke the screen lol.
    03-30-2013 10:19 AM
    I'm going to say what we need are more demolition tests. Such as how well the phone survives being next to a nuclear explosion, being blended, being sent to the Sun, etc.
    assdffd you should then tell that to North Korea. Although being blended wont work

03-30-2013 11:19 AM
    I know, I know...had to be to get people to read it haha
    There is no need to resort to trolling titles to get people to read a respond. All you need to do is define a problem or ask a question. Being deliberately provocative achieves nothing beyond creating threads with titles that are clearly not true....
    03-30-2013 11:44 AM
    That's funny. I started reading this thread under the name of "920...most fragile phone ever?" , and by the time I finished it it's called "My bad luck with the Nokia Lumia 920 screen...". I am such a slow reader... How does one change the name of his/her thread?
    03-30-2013 01:05 PM
    I always wondered if somebody asked the Phone Buff how he managed to pull the stints with the L920 hammer and drop tests. He must have worked with Hudini or Copperfield. My first phone got scratched with coins in the pocket, nothing close to a serrated knife. I did dropped it though a couple of times on a tile floor and had no damages.
    03-30-2013 01:11 PM
    Get to Craigslist. You can get one there I got one there recently for my wife. She loves it.
    03-30-2013 03:02 PM
    It is just about how it lands. Ill tell you a true story (Starring Lumia 900): On a nice sunny winter day, me and girlfriend decided that we should go and do some shopping in the mall. We entered the mall when suddenly I had a phone call, answered my phone and went to upperstair elevators looked behind me for some reason and a guy pushed me just a little so that my Lumia 900 took a leap of faith from the second floor.

When I went to pick up my phone, I was stunned there wasnt even a scratch on it even the phone call was still on. The next time my Lumia 900 took any damage at all was at work. I work in a grocery warehouse and as you can expect the floor is made out of concrete. Well I dropped my Lumia 900, and im not making any excuses it was my fault even though an accident. It fell from my knee pocket and the screen was completely shattered I can even take a picture for you its quite amazing.
    03-30-2013 03:02 PM
    could not agree more , I leaned over with phone in shirt pocket and it slid out landing on soft office chair cushion but slid off onto the plastic pad the chair rolls on , and when I saw it face down I was somewhat glad it had the new and wonderful Gorilla Glass 2 until I picked it up to find seven (7) very noticeble scratches . Three of these are so deep they will grab your finger nail, I could not believe how deep they were. All this because the pad had dirt or sand on it from co-workers shoes and it must have slid on the pad as it slowly fell off of his chair. I was very sad as I had had the phone for just two weeks and was the first phone I had not put a screen saver on before leaving the store. Unfortunately I had seen and believed the You Tube videos showing the glass to be "indistructable"!
    03-30-2013 04:55 PM
    That's funny. I started reading this thread under the name of "920...most fragile phone ever?" , and by the time I finished it it's called "My bad luck with the Nokia Lumia 920 screen...". I am such a slow reader... How does one change the name of his/her thread?
    He didn't. I did to stop the sensationalism. Another mod may yet close the thread.
    03-30-2013 05:46 PM
53 123