Video Podcast playback lags/stutters on WP8/Lumia 920

gma72

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
As much as I would like to love my new Lumia 920, I have a major problem related to the playback of long video podcasts:

Subscribed to the following video podcasts from the Twit network:

All about Android: All About Android Video (small)
Before you buy: Before You Buy Video (small)
Windows Weekly: Windows Weekly Video (small)

My observation is that after a while of watching the video/audio playback starts to stutter. The longer the playback the shorter the frequency of interruptions. Almost not watchable anymore. Quite weird that I do not have the problem with other long video podcasts or any audio podcast. Also movies (mp4) transfered to the device playback without any troubles.
Tried already various podcasting apps like WPodder, Podcast, Bringcast, PodcastLounge and iCast, but doesn't seem to be related to the podcast app, but more with the WP8 OS itself (and probably its handling of specific video codecs?).
Also, never had this problem with my older WP7.5/7.8 devices like Lumia 800 which synchronized the podcasts via Zune desktop.

Has anyone observed the same issue? Would love to get some feedback.

duncanator

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I know it has been some time since your post but I experience this as well with my Lumia 920. Also, I had the same problem with my old Samsung Focus (WP7.5) but thought it was hardware related. Sad that it seems to be the OS and not the phone.

omoralesm

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I also having this problem in my Nokia Lumia 1020, but just with TWiT "netcasts", I am suscribed to other podcasts (all of them in spanish and in HD resolution) and they are playing great. I have notided that this problem is more severe with the small versions of the videos, in the large versions is less frequent. I will give the HD versions a try and will post about it.

duncanator

May 23, 2013
Visit site
It happens all all longer TWit podcasts, even the LO, HI, and HD versions. I think it has something to do with the length because there are few video podcasts that go as long as theirs. It starts out ok, but when you get to about half way through, the trouble begins. I suppose it could be the way they encode their video, but I have no problem with the same version on my android device. Because of that, I'm convinced it's with the way Windows Phone processes the video that TWiT encodes. I'm curious to see how things look once VLC becomes available on WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon