05-12-2013 07:51 PM
268 ... 45678 ...
tools
    how long should the circle spin before displaying actual data in storage check? my phone seems to spin its circle FOREVER.
    04-22-2013 05:27 PM
    how long should the circle spin before displaying actual data in storage check? my phone seems to spin its circle FOREVER.
    it varies depending on phone. sometimes a few minutes, sometimes hours.. sometimes... never :o
    04-22-2013 07:28 PM
    No idea but when I did mine I had about 7gb free space available and it ran for maybe a minute at most. I would probably reset my phone or go to the home screen if it were me and try again.
    04-22-2013 07:45 PM
    Ok so here's something odd. Just got an update for the "network+" setting. After installing it I opened it to see if anything had changed. Call waiting and call forwarding are now greyed out (before they weren't). It says on the top of the screen that call settings don't work on 4G and to switch to them on I need to change to the highest connection possible in the cellular settings. I've gone into "celluar" and LTE is set as my highest connection speed. Wtf.

Anyone else notice this. Not sure if it's related to our data issues from 1308. Btw, I'm on Rogers and I'm downtown Toronto.
    same with rogers L920 on ATT
    if you set highest speed to 3g, call waiting button comes back, but the call forward disappears altogether.

not sure this is a problem. it doesnt say u need to set the highest speed for it to work. it says it doesnt work on 4G, which is LTE. so nothing contradictory.
    04-22-2013 08:45 PM
    I recalled doing a few speed tests late last year and got as high as 19mb/sec on a few rare occassions. But I was usually in the lower to mid teens for the most part. I'm downtown Toronto btw.

sucks, iphone5 on Rogers in Montreal hit 60.... So something wrong with our phone data speeds since the beginning? :)

I'm in Vancouver
    04-23-2013 01:21 AM
    I imagine this is just another problem due to the connectivity issue but is anybody else getting wonky results through Bing with regards to location? I searched Tim Hortons and got no local search results. Same goes for when I searched CN Tower.
    If I search something like Italian or Mexican I'll usually get something but even this,morning the results came up as though I was I Niagara Falls....Im in Toronto.

Anybody else have similar results?
    I'm sure its all due to the connectivity issue and it will likely be issued a fix soon.....but still...anybody else?
    04-23-2013 08:04 AM
    I imagine this is just another problem due to the connectivity issue but is anybody else getting wonky results through Bing with regards to location? I searched Tim Hortons and got no local search results. Same goes for when I searched CN Tower.
    If I search something like Italian or Mexican I'll usually get something but even this,morning the results came up as though I was I Niagara Falls....Im in Toronto.

Anybody else have similar results?
    I'm sure its all due to the connectivity issue and it will likely be issued a fix soon.....but still...anybody else?
    not bing, but for some reason my location on Flixster is constantly set to Wasaga Beach, even though I'm in Toronto. Refreshing it doesn't help. But I doubt it has to do with the network.
    04-23-2013 08:13 AM
    Just got my Lumia 920 yesterday evening, sold my S3 for it...best move i ever made. Anyway, i never used it before with previous FW version but my current is so far working flawless (no connectivity drops). However, what i do find odd is that even though i'm picking 3G as my highest level network selection, its still picking 4G. Is this common?
    04-23-2013 08:50 AM
    Just got my Lumia 920 yesterday evening, sold my S3 for it...best move i ever made. Anyway, i never used it before with previous FW version but my current is so far working flawless (no connectivity drops). However, what i do find odd is that even though i'm picking 3G as my highest level network selection, its still picking 4G. Is this common?
    Odd. But I'm not sure many people would select 3G over LTE when LTE is available (unless you have little to no data plan I suppose).
    04-23-2013 09:16 AM
    The terms 3G and 4G mean nothing with today's carriers unless we're talking about 4G LTE. 3G includes HSPA and HSPA+ in many countries. But one of the American carriers started branding HSPA+ as 4G to fool it's customers and new customers into thinking 4G was better than 3G. It's actually the same technology but with greater bandwidth.

Since then many Canadian carriers have had to rebrand their HSPA+ (3G) networks to 4G HSPA+. Then LTE came. And now they're calling that 4G LTE.

So when you're device says 4G, it really means HSPA+ which is technically 3G. When it says LTE, it means 4G LTE. When it says 3G, it means HSPA. And E is Edge. There are a couple of revisions in between each.
    onlineharvest likes this.
    04-23-2013 09:57 AM
    Odd. But I'm not sure many people would select 3G over LTE when LTE is available (unless you have little to no data plan I suppose).
    With my S3, when connected on LTE my battery wouldn't last a full 8 hour day at work...and that was under light use with notifications turned off. And yes, my data plan is very limited but plan to increase it in the near future. Right now im picking 3G over LTE to conserve battery more than anything else...Since i just got the phone im trying to work "it in".
    04-23-2013 12:47 PM
    The terms 3G and 4G mean nothing with today's carriers unless we're talking about 4G LTE. 3G includes HSPA and HSPA+ in many countries. But one of the American carriers started branding HSPA+ as 4G to fool it's customers and new customers into thinking 4G was better than 3G. It's actually the same technology but with greater bandwidth.

Since then many Canadian carriers have had to rebrand their HSPA+ (3G) networks to 4G HSPA+. Then LTE came. And now they're calling that 4G LTE.

So when you're device says 4G, it really means HSPA+ which is technically 3G. When it says LTE, it means 4G LTE. When it says 3G, it means HSPA. And E is Edge. There are a couple of revisions in between each.
    Right. I was getting confused because on my S3 i never saw "3G", either "4G" (which i presumed already was 3G or HSPA+) or "LTE"...where as on the Lumia there is 3G, 4G(HSPA+) and LTE. Thanks for the clear up.

------------------
    On another note...

The battery has been average so far, but that could also have to do with me being new to WP8 (had WP7) and learning about the background processes. Unfortunately cant say if its better or worse than prior FW.
    04-23-2013 12:54 PM
    Right. I was getting confused because on my S3 i never saw "3G", either "4G" (which i presumed already was 3G or HSPA+) or "LTE"...where as on the Lumia there is 3G, 4G(HSPA+) and LTE. Thanks for the clear up.
    ------------------
    On another note...

The battery has been average so far, but that could also have to do with me being new to WP8 (had WP7) and learning about the background processes. Unfortunately cant say if its better or worse than prior FW.
    background process management helps, but the battery has been average on the L920 thus far, especially if you're running Whatsapp. Also once in a while and for no reason at all there are battery drains, hopefully the next GDR will address that
    04-23-2013 01:01 PM
    background process management helps, but the battery has been average on the L920 thus far, especially if you're running Whatsapp. Also once in a while and for no reason at all there are battery drains, hopefully the next GDR will address that
    Ahhh, cool thanks.

But you know what my peeps, i dont think im running the latest firmware because i dont have the Storage Check avaliable in my settings, sorry for the confusion. I got the phone yesterday and was prompted with an install and just assumed it was all updates in 1 shot...however now i was checking around and dont see the new feature listed.

OS version: 8.0.10211.204
    FW: 1232.5951.1249

im assuming this is an older version as the latest i believe is 1308/1314

Again, exclude my previous statements as they're not valid.
    04-23-2013 01:30 PM
    Sigh....I miss fw 1249 haha.
    Lundon44 and borasar like this.
    04-23-2013 02:27 PM

------------------
    On another note...

There's an issue with Nokia firmware, I think. For whatever reason it thinks the battery is dead half way through. Kill the battery and then leave the device off for 15-20 minutes. Then try to turn the device on. It will power on again. Use it. Kill it again. Then charge it. You will notice 2-3 times longer battery life. I have no idea why.

When I frist had my Lumia is was lasting half a day for the first week. Then one night I killed it completely and tried turning it back on. It wouldn't power back on and just prompted to be plugged in. I left it and forgot about it for about 30 minutes. Then I picked it up and tried turning it on. It turned on. I played games for another 3 hours until it finally died again. Ever since my battery has been great.

Every one in a while an app might cause issues. If your device is running hot, turn it off and then back on again to kill the process. This happens with Whatsapp becuase it uses the craptacular Music API to run in the background - this is changing in the next update.

There's also Background tasks in the settings. Make sure the apps you don't need running in the background are blocked. You don't want a news app you use one a week running in the background.
    04-23-2013 02:36 PM
    So are we recommending to proceed with the latest Rogers update on the phones? From the replies in this thread and others I am unsure if we I should proceed to update. I've been waiting to update the phone due to concerns with battery life. Battery life today is ok, I don't want to worsen this. Has anyone confirmed if the Rogers update is actually including the 1314 update or if this will roll out later to us?

thanks
    04-23-2013 03:40 PM
    Don't....not yet at least.
    04-23-2013 07:29 PM
    Again, there is no evidence that Roger has included the 1314 update in a 1308 firmware. I guess folks are under the impression that since Rogers waited so long to release it then it must be fixed. After all members of the Rogers technical staff are not idiots right? Oh I'm sorry, I've just been informed that yes they have been confirmed as idiots.

Jokes aside, I did the 1308 update on my Roger Lumia 920 and it's been hell since, just this morning I was sitting right smack in the middle of downtown and I was so close to the antenna I could litteraly see my carrier's freaking brand name on it. Needless to say I use to get solid 4 bars of LTE signal and this morning I was a 3 bars of 3g and no internet access. And sometimes I'll get calls and can't hear a thing and can't call back...no dial tone. Only a soft reset gets it going again. This is embarrassing. I love this phone but I'm running out of ammo against all the stupid "oh you go a windows phone, haha did you get any blue screens today?". How can I defend against that kind of jokes when I can't make a freakin call!!

This update killed my Lumia so for the love of God do not update!
    04-23-2013 09:19 PM
    Nokia is definitely aware of the issue. I've contacted Rogers as well. The more of us that do this the better.

I've tried to get some sort of timeline as to when a fix will be issued....Nokia says it will he available as soon as possible. Rogers says if the issue is due to a Nokia firmware update its up to Nokia.

I know, this info helps nobody. All I can say is that I'm seriously considering just sending mine back for a new one. My guess is that whatever one they send back won't have the 1308 update yet. I'd rather nit go through the trouble if only theyd give sine sort of idea as to when a fix will be issued.

Much like the poster above me.....I love this phone but its hard to defend it when it can't even perform up to its potential. How will my iPhone and android loving friends who are skeptical of all else be swayed, influenced or convinced that the 920 is on par with theirs if its not even functioning properly?

Two weeks ago my friends were really impressed and I could finally see them opening their minds to the idea that "hey, there is a new option out there for me"....now if there is a group of us and a situation pops up where an internet search or whatever has to be done.....i don't even want to pull mine out for fear that it will fail me.

Love this phone,want it to succeed but its a steep hill to climb when the maker of the phone issues an update that cuts its legs off.

I mean really, why release an update to us after what it did to att users??
    04-24-2013 08:48 AM
    I updated to 1308 last night, only this morning saw everyone's posts to hold off from updating...didn't know it was that bad =(

So far I haven't experienced any connection issues or problems, however its still early in Toronto. I can say my battery life has witnessed a massive improvement. 3 hours off the charge at its still at 99%, not too shabby SO FAR. I'll give an update later on in the day if i experienced anything. Just as an FYI, im in GTA not downtown Toronto.

Storage Check is cool :)
    04-24-2013 09:29 AM
    I updated to 1308 last night, only this morning saw everyone's posts to hold off from updating...didn't know it was that bad =(

So far I haven't experienced any connection issues or problems, however its still early in Toronto. I can say my battery life has witnessed a massive improvement. 3 hours off the charge at its still at 99%, not too shabby SO FAR. I'll give an update later on in the day if i experienced anything. Just as an FYI, im in GTA not downtown Toronto.

Storage Check is cool :)
    I live and work in downtown Toronto and I'm experiencing a ridiculous amount of signal drops, missed calls, failed sms deliveries, absent toast notifications, live tiles updating irregularly and more. If you don't have any problems consider yourself extremely lucky. If had the ability to rollback I would 110%.
    borasar likes this.
    04-24-2013 09:57 AM
    so strange how some are no issues and some are having nightmares.

I'm on the no real issues part and feel there's better battery management.
    04-24-2013 02:11 PM
    I live and work in downtown Toronto and I'm experiencing a ridiculous amount of signal drops, missed calls, failed sms deliveries, absent toast notifications, live tiles updating irregularly and more. If you don't have any problems consider yourself extremely lucky. If had the ability to rollback I would 110%.
    Hey Lundon44,

Just to give you a heads up i havent experienced a connection drop today. To be fair though the area i work in LTE is wonky, but its always been that way. I've been sending SMS throughout the day to different people, none failed. However i cant speak on behalf of toast notifications as i have them disabled, live tiles im still trying to figure out of the info is new or just looped (static). Service wise (calling, SMS) work fine SO FAR.
    04-24-2013 02:33 PM
    Hey Lundon44,

Just to give you a heads up i havent experienced a connection drop today. To be fair though the area i work in LTE is wonky, but its always been that way. I've been sending SMS throughout the day to different people, none failed. However i cant speak on behalf of toast notifications as i have them disabled, live tiles im still trying to figure out of the info is new or just looped (static). Service wise (calling, SMS) work fine SO FAR.
    Fair enough.. You could be luckier than most. However I wasn't noticing much of a problem the first day or 2. Give it a week or 2 and that will be enough time to fully determine if you're experiencing issues.
    04-24-2013 02:44 PM
268 ... 45678 ...