Any Rogers Lumia 920 users got 1308 update?

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Right. I was getting confused because on my S3 i never saw "3G", either "4G" (which i presumed already was 3G or HSPA+) or "LTE"...where as on the Lumia there is 3G, 4G(HSPA+) and LTE. Thanks for the clear up.

------------------
On another note...

The battery has been average so far, but that could also have to do with me being new to WP8 (had WP7) and learning about the background processes. Unfortunately cant say if its better or worse than prior FW.

There's an issue with Nokia firmware, I think. For whatever reason it thinks the battery is dead half way through. Kill the battery and then leave the device off for 15-20 minutes. Then try to turn the device on. It will power on again. Use it. Kill it again. Then charge it. You will notice 2-3 times longer battery life. I have no idea why.

When I frist had my Lumia is was lasting half a day for the first week. Then one night I killed it completely and tried turning it back on. It wouldn't power back on and just prompted to be plugged in. I left it and forgot about it for about 30 minutes. Then I picked it up and tried turning it on. It turned on. I played games for another 3 hours until it finally died again. Ever since my battery has been great.

Every one in a while an app might cause issues. If your device is running hot, turn it off and then back on again to kill the process. This happens with Whatsapp becuase it uses the craptacular Music API to run in the background - this is changing in the next update.

There's also Background tasks in the settings. Make sure the apps you don't need running in the background are blocked. You don't want a news app you use one a week running in the background.

northface57

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
So are we recommending to proceed with the latest Rogers update on the phones? From the replies in this thread and others I am unsure if we I should proceed to update. I've been waiting to update the phone due to concerns with battery life. Battery life today is ok, I don't want to worsen this. Has anyone confirmed if the Rogers update is actually including the 1314 update or if this will roll out later to us?

thanks

Rancorbeast

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Again, there is no evidence that Roger has included the 1314 update in a 1308 firmware. I guess folks are under the impression that since Rogers waited so long to release it then it must be fixed. After all members of the Rogers technical staff are not idiots right? Oh I'm sorry, I've just been informed that yes they have been confirmed as idiots.

Jokes aside, I did the 1308 update on my Roger Lumia 920 and it's been hell since, just this morning I was sitting right smack in the middle of downtown and I was so close to the antenna I could litteraly see my carrier's freaking brand name on it. Needless to say I use to get solid 4 bars of LTE signal and this morning I was a 3 bars of 3g and no internet access. And sometimes I'll get calls and can't hear a thing and can't call back...no dial tone. Only a soft reset gets it going again. This is embarrassing. I love this phone but I'm running out of ammo against all the stupid "oh you go a windows phone, haha did you get any blue screens today?". How can I defend against that kind of jokes when I can't make a freakin call!!

This update killed my Lumia so for the love of God do not update!

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is definitely aware of the issue. I've contacted Rogers as well. The more of us that do this the better.

I've tried to get some sort of timeline as to when a fix will be issued....Nokia says it will he available as soon as possible. Rogers says if the issue is due to a Nokia firmware update its up to Nokia.

I know, this info helps nobody. All I can say is that I'm seriously considering just sending mine back for a new one. My guess is that whatever one they send back won't have the 1308 update yet. I'd rather nit go through the trouble if only theyd give sine sort of idea as to when a fix will be issued.

Much like the poster above me.....I love this phone but its hard to defend it when it can't even perform up to its potential. How will my iPhone and android loving friends who are skeptical of all else be swayed, influenced or convinced that the 920 is on par with theirs if its not even functioning properly?

Two weeks ago my friends were really impressed and I could finally see them opening their minds to the idea that "hey, there is a new option out there for me"....now if there is a group of us and a situation pops up where an internet search or whatever has to be done.....i don't even want to pull mine out for fear that it will fail me.

Love this phone,want it to succeed but its a steep hill to climb when the maker of the phone issues an update that cuts its legs off.

I mean really, why release an update to us after what it did to att users??

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I updated to 1308 last night, only this morning saw everyone's posts to hold off from updating...didn't know it was that bad =(

So far I haven't experienced any connection issues or problems, however its still early in Toronto. I can say my battery life has witnessed a massive improvement. 3 hours off the charge at its still at 99%, not too shabby SO FAR. I'll give an update later on in the day if i experienced anything. Just as an FYI, im in GTA not downtown Toronto.

Storage Check is cool :)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I updated to 1308 last night, only this morning saw everyone's posts to hold off from updating...didn't know it was that bad =(

So far I haven't experienced any connection issues or problems, however its still early in Toronto. I can say my battery life has witnessed a massive improvement. 3 hours off the charge at its still at 99%, not too shabby SO FAR. I'll give an update later on in the day if i experienced anything. Just as an FYI, im in GTA not downtown Toronto.

Storage Check is cool :)

I live and work in downtown Toronto and I'm experiencing a ridiculous amount of signal drops, missed calls, failed sms deliveries, absent toast notifications, live tiles updating irregularly and more. If you don't have any problems consider yourself extremely lucky. If had the ability to rollback I would 110%.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
so strange how some are no issues and some are having nightmares.

I'm on the no real issues part and feel there's better battery management.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I live and work in downtown Toronto and I'm experiencing a ridiculous amount of signal drops, missed calls, failed sms deliveries, absent toast notifications, live tiles updating irregularly and more. If you don't have any problems consider yourself extremely lucky. If had the ability to rollback I would 110%.

Hey Lundon44,

Just to give you a heads up i havent experienced a connection drop today. To be fair though the area i work in LTE is wonky, but its always been that way. I've been sending SMS throughout the day to different people, none failed. However i cant speak on behalf of toast notifications as i have them disabled, live tiles im still trying to figure out of the info is new or just looped (static). Service wise (calling, SMS) work fine SO FAR.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey Lundon44,

Just to give you a heads up i havent experienced a connection drop today. To be fair though the area i work in LTE is wonky, but its always been that way. I've been sending SMS throughout the day to different people, none failed. However i cant speak on behalf of toast notifications as i have them disabled, live tiles im still trying to figure out of the info is new or just looped (static). Service wise (calling, SMS) work fine SO FAR.

Fair enough.. You could be luckier than most. However I wasn't noticing much of a problem the first day or 2. Give it a week or 2 and that will be enough time to fully determine if you're experiencing issues.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough.. You could be luckier than most. However I wasn't noticing much of a problem the first day or 2. Give it a week or 2 and that will be enough time to fully determine if you're experiencing issues.

Ah ok cool, i'll definitely keep an eye and update if i notice a change. Hopefully by then Nokia has released 1314 for Rogers users.

Last edited:

Rancorbeast

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the batch number has anything to do with it. Mine is a batch 46\12. You can find out the batch number on the box on the sticker where the imei number is printed.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I was having issues earlier this week.. And perhaps it had been going on since I updated but it seemed to get especially acute this week. Two days ago I was poking around my settings and noticed that my apn was set to windmobile.com. Now I had indeed put in my wind sim to see if I could access the internet with it and I could (yes my 920 is of course unlocked) so whatever this was appeared to be a Rogers issue. Rogers sim did not work, no internet access and signal kept dropping to 3g and disappearing. I poked around and found this apn artefact and reset it to ltemobile.apn AND NOW IT WORKS PERFECTLY. Please check your apn. ltemobile.apn with no username or pw.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Jfmanzo.....this may seem like a stupid question but I'll ask anyway...is that apn setting for internet apn or mms apn? And are you saying that that apn setting made it work perfectly when you had your Rogers sim in.....right?

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
internet, and no that's not a stupid question at since I should have specified. I now realize that my mms apn settings disappeared completely.

And yes, Rogers sim was installed.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok one more question.....has changing the apn settings impacted any other setting or function negatively (that you've noticed)?
Admittedly I'm not very tech savvy haha and hesitant to do anything that might reduce my phone functions further.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok one more question.....has changing the apn settings impacted any other setting or function negatively (that you've noticed)?
Admittedly I'm not very tech savvy haha and hesitant to do anything that might reduce my phone functions further.

I do not believe that there would be any negative impact on the other functions on the phone.

Anyone else with the signal drops tried updating their APN settings?

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So I ended up changing the apn settings and it seemed to improve data speeds. I tested making a phone call though and after the call I lost data connection again. Even got "no network found" in cell settings. So ya, that didn't really help but thanks anyway. Just gonna have to wait for a fix from Nokia/Rogers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon