Obscenely long boot time after phone dies; What's the deal?

Zillegas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I had a question that I feel like the community here might be able to help me with. I have a Lumia 920. I LOVE it. I LOVE the Windows Phone. I brag about it to my friends, I show it off, and I'm completely happy with it. However, I've found one flaw in this phone that drives me nuts, and that's the time it takes for the phone to get enough power to turn on again after it dies.

Sometimes I'll be using it, and it'll die sooner than I expected it to, and I figure, "no problem, I'll just plug it in." Well, I do. And then I wait. And wait. And wait. And wait and wait and wait some more. The phone takes eons to turn back on. I'll try anything; I continuously press the power button, I'll unplug it and plug it back in, I'll try different chargers and cords, and no dice. More often than not, the phone takes absolutely freaking forever to get the power to turn back on. Otherwise, it just sits on that battery screen. The phone acknowledges that it's plugged in, as it shows the connection icon. But yeah, it just sits on that battery screen for ages.

Last night, this happened and I ended up waiting forty minutes before the phone could boot up. This was the most extreme case, but in other instances I've waited for up to thirty minutes. Obviously, in any case where your phone dies when you actually need it, this is a problem. So, does anybody have any kind of fix for this? Or at the very least, can somebody explain why the phone does this? If I had an explanation, I would at least be a little more comfortable with it. I just hate seeing a phone plugged in for forty minutes and begin to wonder if something has gone bad internally with my brand new $500 phone. It's...unsettling. Especially when anybody with an Android phone can see their phone die and have it boot near instantaneously right when it hits a power outlet.

efeedip

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
if the battery dies,the phone had to charge at least 20 min. to boot up again so there is nothing strange.dont worry about it.

Zillegas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Well it's obviously not good to let me phone die, and I try to avoid it when I can, but it happens. The biggest culprit is the SNES app I have. I love to play Super Nintendo on my phone, but boy, it absolutely wrecks my battery life. When it dies from such occasions, it takes forever to start up. Yesterday, I was using the app and it died while it was plugged in. Didn't really see that one coming. Am I to understand that, if it dies of something that's particularly battery intensive, it'll just naturally take a whole lot longer to find the energy to start up again?

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Zillegas: let me try to explain i t to u. The Li-Ion batteries that r currently in all phones cannot be left without any power in them, or they r finished, dead, caputt. Unlike the earlier Ni-Mh batteries that needed to be emptied all the way, Li-Ion batteries must have some power reserve. When they discharge they inform u when the charge is critically low and u MUST plug them in.
And now we come to our second part of the problem - discharging even when plugged in: the Lumia920 battery is 2000 mAh, the charger is like 1200 mA, which means that it should charge the battery in just under 2 hrs. When u r doing something with ur telephone it uses the battery charge, it cannot use the charge directly from the wall. And clearly SNES emulators and some games r really hard on the battery, and since we now know that the charger cannot give sufficient charge, the conclusion is not to do anything with ur phone when charging.
However, there might just be a workaround: u might buy a stronger charger, a one that has 2100mA (2.1A) output power, and that way, u will be able to play SNES and other games, while the phone is plugged in. Of course, there is a catch, ur phone might get super hot of this, and on the other hand this charger could damage ur battery.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess i only let my battery completely die 1-2 times...other than that, i always plug it when the system warns me battery is critically low or i just never let it get lower than 10%

you should prolly watch out more for the battery warnings and plug it right when it says is critically low!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos