Lumia 920 and exchange server...help me out please...

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the Lumia 920 and love it, so my brother is now considering it. His main concern is that he has heard (mainly from an att rep) that windows phone 8 is having an issue staying connected to exchange servers. He really wants the phone, but he's not the most patient and will probably destroy the phone if he gets it and it won't stay connected, so I'm trying to do a little research for him. He's an attorney and probably gets 200-300 important emails a day, so this phone can't be a trial run for him if you know what I mean. Have there been any issues that you guys are familiar with dealing with exchange servers and staying connected? If there were issues, did one of the last couple of updates address those issues and take care of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated by myself as well as him. I just don't want him to get the phone, then be turned off from wp8, as he would probably never come back.

Thanks again!

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. It's a trusted certificate problem on the server end and we are looking to get the right one installed. (SBS 2011)

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Windows Phone since it launched. Never had issues like what you describe. I'm always connected my companies Exchange Server and get emails as they come. I have no idea what that ATT rep was talking about. Probably just already FUD.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. It's a trusted certificate problem on the server end and we are looking to get the right one installed. (SBS 2011)

Hmm, ya that sounds like an issue with the server set up.

From my understanding, Android and iPhone kind of BS their way through security on exchange servers, so they don't have problems. But WP actually checks the certificates and has to clear them etc.

If that's what the ATT rep was talking about, then he needs to learn the reasoning and not just blame/brush off Windows Phone because of it.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
From just doing minor research in the last hour, it appears that wp8 only supports software encryption and not hardware and that seems to be an issue with exchange...at least for some. I also am seeing some people saying that the admin has to set up a rule to allow "non provisioned devices" in order for the winp8 to connect without error. Does any of this sound familiar?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, ya that sounds like an issue with the server set up.

From my understanding, Android and iPhone kind of BS their way through security on exchange servers, so they don't have problems. But WP actually checks the certificates and has to clear them etc.

If that's what the ATT rep was talking about, then he needs to learn the reasoning and not just blame/brush off Windows Phone because of it.

Yes, it is a server problem. My phone hates the fact that the certificate is untrusted and will work for a while before giving up. I have to delete and remake the account again on my phone.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thats it... Thing is, how is his server setup? Is the security setup that high? Can he make the rule mentioned above? I currently have no issues with my phone and exchange. We use Exchange 2010.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't know how his server is set up. I know it's a law firm, so I know it's locked down rather tight according to him.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue, my company only lets iphone / ipad / blackberry devices access the servers.
Android and WP are not supported...can't even sign into Lync using my WP.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
If the IT guys are good and have the certificates correctly named he'll have no issues.

If everything is as it "should" be, then he should be able to sign in from the att store...correct? That's what he said he's going to do...buy it, take sim out of his android, place in 920 and try to sign in...if it doesn't sign in then he's going to return immediately...haha. I told you he has 0 patience.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If everything is as it "should" be, then he should be able to sign in from the att store...correct? That's what he said he's going to do...buy it, take sim out of his android, place in 920 and try to sign in...if it doesn't sign in then he's going to return immediately...haha. I told you he has 0 patience.
Then tell him not to bother. If it's not this, it will be something else.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Then tell him not to bother. If it's not this, it will be something else.

Thanks for that well thought out response. He's an attorney who lives and dies with emails...he can't afford to miss even one email during the day, so I do actually understand him needing the connection to work immediately. I should have clarified that he will have a little patience with basic issues here and there, as he is used to Android...lol

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Im on exchange at my work since launch, no problems here receiving or sending and all that. Assuming my data connection is fine

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The security certificates on my SBS 08 server are expired. Outlook on my laptop won?t connect anymore to the server over the internet. I need to be on the same network or to VPN.
On the other hand, my L920 never lost connection to the server.
Receiving emails was never a problem for me. The issues I am waiting for MSFT to fix are:

- See/Open attachments from a calendar item (e.g. agenda for a meeting ).
- File manager to be able to save attachments from an email and re-attach them to another email.

Why don?t you lend your phone to you brother to see if he can connect?

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The security certificates on my SBS 08 server are expired. Outlook on my laptop won?t connect anymore to the server over the internet. I need to be on the same network or to VPN.
On the other hand, my L920 never lost connection to the server.
Receiving emails was never a problem for me. The issues I am waiting for MSFT to fix are:

-See/Open attachments from a calendar item (e.g. agenda for a meeting ).
-File manager to be able to save attachments from an email and re-attach them to another email.

Why don?t you lend your phone to you brother to see if he can connect?

He's in Florida, I'm in Virginia

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
As already stated, if Exchange is properly bound to an unexpired SSL cert--as it always should be--then there will be no problems. This doesn't have anything to do with his server being "locked down". He could have a proper SSL cert and simultaneously have crappy security...
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys...will find out Saturday if it works or doesn't. Hopefully everything works out fine and he'll have a Lumia 920 by evening.

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I run my 920 connected to Office 365 Exchange Online with no issues with email. I do however, live off my calendar(i'm a consultant) and I have had a few random occurences where if I have an event that is already synced between laptop Outlook and my phone, if i change the time, or description of the event on my phone it sometimes fails to sync those changes back to the server. All in all it's probably only been a total of 6 or 8 events but it at least tells me it did not sync the change, and so i go back and edit the event again.
Annoying but not a dealbreaker at the moment.

-Luke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb