Anyone who switched from iPhone?

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I have an Android phone but I want to switch to Lumia 920. But I still couldn't decide between iphone and lumia. Can anyone who used both phones help me? Please tell me what do you feel and which one do you recommend? Thanks.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had been an iphone user for the last few years and switched both my phone and my son's to 920's. I don't regret it at all.
There are plenty of quality apps available. I feel I have more control over what's on my phone and how everything is laid out on the phone. It's well build and has a gorgeous screen. Not to mention the cost for a 32gb version is a fraction of what an iphone costs.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I was a heavy Iphone user from the og phone all the way to the IP5 and had a few Androids, I don't miss anything and now and prefer the live tiles on WP8

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I got the iphone5 in January, first iphone for me, had considered the 920 for the camera alone, but once in the store was steered towards the iphone or Samsung s3. Tough call but heard so much about the iPhones decided to give it a shot. Lovely fast smooth operator but soooo boring, i just expected more. The Camera was ok, camcorder was not that good. Thankfully my husband managed to return it for me. After a bit more research, mainly on here, I got the 920 and love it. Windows wasn't the attraction for me, but it's a real winner in my eyes.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4S for 14 months. Sold it to get a Lumia 920. Sold my Lumia 920 in a month to get an iPhone 5. WP8 is great but the apps are just awful. There are a few little gems here and there but mostly multi-platform apps, especially games are the best on iOS and the least functional on Windows Phone. Things may get better over time, in fact I'm sure they will, but I'm an impatient guy so I went back to iPhone.
The bottom line is, if you're willing to let go of the apps you used on the iPhone or Android for a more cohesive UI, but at the time also wait it out for apps to get on par with iOS and Android, get Windows Phone. If you're impatient, stick to Android or iOS.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had all the latest and greatest phones (i'm an addict). I had the iPhone 5 for a couple months and enjoyed it while I had it, but started to get really bored with the ui and micro small/thin screen. Sure, it has a lot of apps (90% are useless unless you're a kid and enjoy playing games on your phone), but what good are they if you can't hardly see them. The Lumia is the first phone that is truly as smooth and fluid as the iPhone. There are no stutters, hickups or otherwise no matter what you throw at it. The keyboard on the Lumia is also quite a step up from the Iphone 5...it is very accurate and spacious. The camera and especially the camcorder is a big step up from the iphone 5...the image stabilization makes videos extremely smooth vs the iphone. As far as apps, I have yet to run across an app that I used on the iphone that I couldn't find on the Lumia. App support on WP8 has made HUGE progress over the last couple months. Sure, if you like silly little apps that make your face look zombie'fied or makes things blow up, I would say the Lumia may not be for you. However, if you use your phone as a phone...enjoy reading news (awesome news apps on the Lumia btw), using facebook/twitter etc, then you will love the Lumia. The build quality on the Lumia is also second to none...it feels more solid than any phone I've ever used. In fact, it makes the iphone 5 feel like a little toy in comparison. The speaker on the Lumia is also very nice...very clear, very loud. It's the only phone I've owned where I can hear a notification from downstairs.

There are a few things that I would like to see WP8 improve upon. The first would be separate volumes for different applications. Right now, it's all for one, one for all. That's not a huge deal for me really because I usually max out volume on any phone I have for all apps, but the option would be nice. I would also like to see the ability to have different notifications sounds for different email accounts. A notification light would be nice as well, but the iphone doesn't have one either so you wouldn't be losing any function there. The battery is really hit or miss and I'm convinced that there is simply a bad batch of batteries that have been sent out. I owned a 920 a couple months ago and the battery life was aweful...it would literally drop about 20% an hour with minimal use. The new Lumia I have now is MUCH better with the exact same apps and settings used. I can generally go a day (12-14 hrs) with heavy usage (5-6 hrs screen on time).

My opinion is that you will love the Lumia if you haven't already figured it out. There is really very little you lose over the iphone 5, but a whole lot that you gain (camera, wireless charging, video camera, bigger screen, better build quality, nicer keyboard, better speaker). Good luck with your choice.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Things people say just amaze me. Go to macrumors and ask the exact same question.

There is no way for anybody to tell YOU what is best for YOU. get one and try it out, not just at the store, take it home and if you don't like it return it and try the other.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I have been a really heavy iPhone user for the past 4 years, had an iPhone3G, then iPhone4. Jailbreaking them, and doing all kinda stuff to the system was a must to me. But then, around 7-8 months ago, I got tired from all that. I set the phone the way I wanted and that was it. However, around that time, my wife broke her old Nokia 6700,and I have decided to buy her a Lumia710. She is so in love with that phone (it is pink, or to be correct magenta), and I have fallen in love with the OS. So smooth, so stunningly fast.
Now I always hated Android for its stuttering, and hiccups, and it ain't a choice for me. Then I started severely thinking about a Lumia920. And, I sold my iPhone, and got myself a Lumia920.
Okay, to me there are some pros and cons in using this phone or the iPhone, so let me try to be objective, and to summarize this:
Both phones r have excellent finish, and that premium feel in ur hand, maybe slightly the scale moved toward iPhone. On the other hand, the screen is clearly better on the Lumia.
Now the main difference is the OS. iOS is jailbreakable (up to 6.1.2 for now), and that means more customisation. I love the Live Tiles and Live Apps on Lumia, and that static screen on iPhone looks so outdated, BUT on the other hand, iPhone has something we Lumia users can just dream of 4 now - SOUNDS: yes u can have custom sounds for messages (even for different senders), and u can have custom vibration patterns, yes u can make that every app that sends a push notification has it own sound... For me that was trully a feature from the future, my phone was beeping all the time (yeah, I get a lot of different notifications), but thanks to differents sounds I knew when it was urgent to look at my phone.
Now we come to the last part - Apps: the AppStore on Apple has around 750k Apps, and the WP Market has around 140k, 5.5x less :( There r good apps on the Market, but there r some excellent apps on AppStore. Personally I miss several of them - Teamviewer, Campbell's Operative Orthopeadics and Clinical ORthopaedic Examination.
And now, the icing on the cake, the reason which I left iOS for WP - Social network Integration - absolutely superb on WP. Other OS can just dream of this. For the first time, everything here on my phone, without dedicated apps that do crappy job, everything is smooth, and just like I wanted it to be. The people Hub is an amazing thing 4 me, it is beautifully updating and notifying me of everything I need to know, and all that with just a glance of my eye on the stunning screen. No need to open an app for that. Apps of this kind for me are a thing of past!

So the conclusion: which device I would recomend? Depending on the needs - if u want apps - and I mean tons of them, go for the iPhone. If u want a beatifull OS, still a bit poor in apps, but with all the basics implemented into the OS itself, look no further WP8 is just for u, and ofcourse - Lumia920 as the flagship device is a logical solution.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have used iPhone 3G from launch, switching to iPhone 4 at launch, and then switched to the Lumia 920 at it's launch. So I was on iOS for about 4.5 years. When the iPhone 4 came out I considered waiting until that fall for the first generation WP7 phones but decided to wait on WP until it had reached it's second gen so that more apps would be available.

I used iOS long enough to become intimately familiar with it's instability, huge number of bugs (sometimes crippling), and various limitations. Yes, nothing can compare to iOS in terms of the number and quality of available apps. But anyone who says that iPhone "just works" is not telling the truth. Ultimately, I got tired of the stagnation of iOS - it's now 6 or 7 years old in design - and the never-ending series of bugs. It's crippling of podcast functionality that came with iOS6 and the iPhone5 breaking connector compatibility was the final straw for me.

I do like my 920 and while I miss having the rich app ecosystem of iOS (I use Windows for the huge number of apps), I otherwise prefer almost everything else about WP8 over iOS6. The lack of a true notification system on WP8 is the only OS feature I miss.

I actually used a hand-me-down Samsung Focus (with WP7.5) for a month prior to committing to the 920. I knew I liked WP, but I wanted to be sure that I could live without the iOS apps. I found that in reality there are less than half a dozen apps that I actually use on a weekly basis, and those were either already available for iOS, or built into WP8, or there were top-notch alternatives.

The only thing I miss is that I now cannot share apps with my immediate family, who all exclusively use iOS devices. Therefore, I cannot use iMessage, and they cannot use the "Family Room" feature. Other than that, I really like WP8 and the 920.

Every time I pick up an iPhone 5, it cures me of any lingering doubt about moving back to iOS - from my view iOS AND the iPhone design itself is, frankly, feeling old and tired.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I have used iPhone 3G from launch, switching to iPhone 4 at launch, and then switched to the Lumia 920 at it's launch. So I was on iOS for about 4.5 years. When the iPhone 4 came out I considered waiting until that fall for the first generation WP7 phones but decided to wait on WP until it had reached it's second gen so that more apps would be available.

I used iOS long enough to become intimately familiar with it's instability, huge number of bugs (sometimes crippling), and various limitations. Yes, nothing can compare to iOS in terms of the number and quality of available apps. But anyone who says that iPhone "just works" is not telling the truth. Ultimately, I got tired of the stagnation of iOS - it's now 6 or 7 years old in design - and the never-ending series of bugs. It's crippling of podcast functionality that came with iOS6 and the iPhone5 breaking connector compatibility was the final straw for me.

I do like my 920 and while I miss having the rich app ecosystem of iOS (I use Windows for the huge number of apps), I otherwise prefer almost everything else about WP8 over iOS6. The lack of a true notification system on WP8 is the only OS feature I miss.

I actually used a hand-me-down Samsung Focus (with WP7.5) for a month prior to committing to the 920. I knew I liked WP, but I wanted to be sure that I could live without the iOS apps. I found that in reality there are less than half a dozen apps that I actually use on a weekly basis, and those were either already available for iOS, or built into WP8, or there were top-notch alternatives.

The only thing I miss is that I now cannot share apps with my immediate family, who all exclusively use iOS devices. Therefore, I cannot use iMessage, and they cannot use the "Family Room" feature. Other than that, I really like WP8 and the 920.

Every time I pick up an iPhone 5, it cures me of any lingering doubt about moving back to iOS - from my view iOS AND the iPhone design itself is, frankly, feeling old and tired.
Iphones can use the family room feature...thats the only other OS that can. Send them a request and they'll have to sign in to SkyDrive I believe in order to use it.

Jimmy Cooper

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Honest opinion, if you're getting a iphone then wait for IOS 7 because the OS on iphones have been the same for so many years and im tired of that. I switched to lumia 920 from a iphone 4s and I guess you have to try it to see it but windows phone is amazing.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
On monday, I will switch from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 920.

The iPhone 5 is a great phone but there is something about the Lumia 920 that I want to have. I hope I'm right on this decision.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have had both a Lumia 920 and iPhone 5 for the past few months. I am concurrently using both Apple and Microsoft ecosystems at the same time to see which one I like better. You cam PM me with any questions you have and Ill do my best to answer them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos