New WP8 user from iOS here

lee_d88

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok so i finally got sick of o2's poor tarriffs in regards to data usage and decided to jump ship.

o2 offer at most 2gb of data which is nothing in terms of smartphone usage to me, I wanted more so i've gone with 3. They offer completely unlimited data at H+ speeds to which im getting approx 10-15mbps at most times. On o2 i was getting 3-5 max.

Also decided if i am switching network why not try a new handset as i've had iOS since launch now with the iPhone 1. Really liked the style of the lumia 920 so that's what i got yesterday. Now its an excellent phone and an excellent iOS, BUT im struggling to be fully satisfied here. And heres why.

Out of my most commonly used apps :

ebay,
paypal,
rbs,
4od,
itv player,
skygo,
youtube,

only 4/7 are available and one of them isn't even an official app.

wasn't too fussed at first as i thought oh well its still in infancy, but after looking online it seems i could be waiting a long time for any of my streaming apps which to be honest is the main reason i needed so much data usage. Have i made a mistake or are there apps there to do what i need etc?
cheers guys and girls
lee

p.s i frikkin love this big screen though.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the club, hope you're liking the 920 it's a great phone and WP central has a wealth of information available.
Again welcome aboard.

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

ebay,
paypal,
rbs,
4od,
itv player,
skygo,
youtube,

Apps is one area where wp8 is weak right now. You should have done your homework before jumping ship.
Metrotube is a nice third-party youtube app. You can give that a try.

There are also little annoyances on the OS but I see a lot of potential in wp8 so I'm just patiently waiting. Lots of updates coming this year which should improve the functionality of wp8.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine that once the BBC release iPlayer support for WP (which is, er, soon) the remaining UK VOD services will not be too far behind.

Sir Switch

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard, I love WP8 but I will I will admit there is currently an 'app gap' compared to Android and iOS. However things are starting to ramp up as you'll notice on the news section of WPCentral. As for on demand streaming apps the only thing I can think of right now that we have is Netflix. I do believe there is a BBC iPlayer app in the works, and 4oD and Demand 5 both have Windows 8 apps so it would make sense that they will be released on WP8 in due course. For Youtube use Metrotube it's by far the best app for Youtube. I can also recommend an app called TVCatchup which is basically Freeview on your phone.

Some apps I like:

WeatherFlow
Facebook
Whatsapp
Windows Phone Central
Sky News
Engadget
gleek!
Domino's Pizza
Hello Friends

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I had been using the iphone since its inception I was looking for something different, I started with the lumia 900, I found my self going back and forth between iphone 4 and lumia 900. with the release of the lumia 920 that gap was closed for good.

Im still missing sip and iax2 voip apps and PPTP VPN capabilities but other than that, I am really happy.

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I had been using the iphone since its inception I was looking for something different, I started with the lumia 900, I found my self going back and forth between iphone 4 and lumia 900. with the release of the lumia 920 that gap was closed for good.

Im still missing sip and iax2 voip apps and PPTP VPN capabilities but other than that, I am really happy.

Should be better after the upcoming updates this year.

I truly believe WP8 has a lot of potential but still limited at the moment. Those limitations should be addressed by future updates.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
viber voip calling hass just come out at least in gthe US if its not in the UK it should be soon. Rest of the world forthcoming as well I hope.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok so i finally got sick of o2's poor tarriffs in regards to data usage and decided to jump ship.

o2 offer at most 2gb of data which is nothing in terms of smartphone usage to me, I wanted more so i've gone with 3. They offer completely unlimited data at H+ speeds to which im getting approx 10-15mbps at most times. On o2 i was getting 3-5 max.

Also decided if i am switching network why not try a new handset as i've had iOS since launch now with the iPhone 1. Really liked the style of the lumia 920 so that's what i got yesterday. Now its an excellent phone and an excellent iOS, BUT im struggling to be fully satisfied here. And heres why.

ebay,
paypal,
rbs,
4od,
itv player,
skygo,
youtube,

wasn't too fussed at first as i thought oh well its still in infancy, but after looking online it seems i could be waiting a long time for any of my streaming apps which to be honest is the main reason i needed so much data usage. Have i made a mistake or are there apps there to do what i need etc?
cheers guys and girls
lee

p.s i frikkin love this big screen though.

Welcome to the club:

I can make a few app recommendations:

Youtube + is a simple third party app that is way better than iOS youtube
For TV streaming, there is currently a Hulu W8 app that was released a while ago, I would expect a WP8 app soon enough
Banking apps are still hit and miss. Some high profile ones exist but some are still missing.
Pretty sure there was or is a paypal app for WP8
For eBay there is a windows 8 app so again, one would expect a WP8 one soon enough

Not exactly the best news but there are so many gems in the WP8 store that you really need to have a look around. You will find alternative to most things you need and the all the built in apps are really top notch:

People, Skydrive, and Office are a dream coming from Apple with the steaming turd they call iCloud.

I'd also really recomend Custom Tiles Maker. Its a great little app to turn pictures you like into sets of tiles. You can use it to create wicked designs and layouts on your phone to really personalize it. Have a look at the stickied post in the WP8 forum where people are constantly putting screenshots. Great inspiration.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
In the rest of the world also :D
Some apps I do lack from iPhone like Teamviewer, but hopefully, some alternative will come up.
I know there r RDP apps on the Market, but the free apps r really limited, and all of them require some specific software on the computer, which I do not want to install.

lee_d88

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies people.

well had my first FULL day with the lumia 920 today and im very impressed �� its going to be an excellent OS if they can keep up with the times and peoples needs with it.

im not TOO fussed about not having 4oD and SkyGo etc. I can live without until they release apps for them.

i have youtube+ and find it perfect, I refuse to pay for metro tube when youtube is a free to use site.

anyway im really liking it now and i don't think itll be long before WP8 is up there with iOS and android.

ill keep posted on my experience :) but so far its all good and i can watch ny car and car detailing videos in HD all day long, as well as top gear on TVCatchup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo