Email on Lumia 920 - Settings

binoyshah

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I've been a blackberry user for a few years now and regardless of what people say the email service was unbelievable compared to the other smartphones etc.

I bought the Lumia 920 a month back and had a few questions for the experts here.

Here in India, because of 3G not being available throughout the city (even though we're talking about a place like Mumbai) , the phone keeps switching between EDGE and 3G because of which there is MASSIVE battery drain. I've just decided to limit the phone to 2G and not bother with 3G at all to save battery. I've noticed a considerable increase in battery life now.

However, my main issue with this phone is the email app.

Can someone let me know if the following things can be changed in anyway :

(1) Its extremely random how much of an email the phone downloads.
Sometimes its just the header, sometimes its a few lines / part of the entire mail with "Download message (about xx kb)" option showing to download the remaining part.
Can we set it to download the entire email regardless of its size ? Obviously not the attachments but atleast the text part of the mail.
When the message is over 200-300kb , it takes quite long because of capping the phone at 2G.

(2) I use two email accounts : One is my company account where server storage space is limited so mails over 10-12 days are deleted from the server. Another is a gmail account where obviously the emails arent deleted from the mailbox.
Ive linked both the inbox's on the phone.
However, emails older than approx 10-12 days arent stored on the phone. Today is the 6th of April and last email available in my inbox is one from 26th March.
Is there anyway / any setting to download and keep every email ever received ?

(3) I use email on the phone as well as on my laptop.
As I mentioned above I use two email accounts : One is a company email account , another a gmail account.
There is an option "Always BCC myself" which I have to enable in my company account settings so that the "sent" email gets downloaded in my laptop and automatically goes to the "sent" items in my outlook. The downside to this is, the SENT email (through my company account) is received again in the inbox which I have to delete everytime.

It doesnt need to enabled in the gmail settings. It automatically gets downloaded on my laptop and moves to the sent items.

I dont know how clear Ive been in explaining point #3 but I hope youll understand the issue.

Thanks for the help.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
1 - No
2 - Go to sync settings and bit where it says sync last 7 days email, tap on drop down, and select "all"
3 - Totally lost. If you are bcc yourself, it forwards a copy to your inbox. Sent items go to sent but when it bcc's an email it will have to hit an inbox somewhere I suppose.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
1 - I've had this happen too. From what I've noticed, it's dependent on: my connection strength; my connection quality; the status of my email server. My non-WP phones just wouldn't deal with it. At least WPs will download the header.
2 - Covered above.
3 - I'm lost too. Do you mean to say that your conversation threads get multiples of your sent items? If so, there's no way around that because it's only doing what you told it to do by having the setup you have.

binoyshah

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replied.

I guess theres no workaround for #1 , have to live with it.

# 2 - Simple setting, overlooked it .. thanks for the help.

# 3 - Rockstarzz : Yes thats what I meant, BCCing myself sends the mail to my inbox on the phone but sent items on the laptop. I guess this is also something I'll have to live with.

Just thought there might be another way to do this to maintain replies sent through my phone on my laptops sent items as well.

Thanks again for the help.

binoyshah

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
1 - No
2 - Go to sync settings and bit where it says sync last 7 days email, tap on drop down, and select "all"
3 - Totally lost. If you are bcc yourself, it forwards a copy to your inbox. Sent items go to sent but when it bcc's an email it will have to hit an inbox somewhere I suppose.

Regarding Point #2 , I changed the settings to "all" however its still deleting the emails which arent available on the server.

Basically the inbox only seems to SYNC with the emails available on the online inbox, the second I delete the email from the server, it disappears from the phone.

Is there no way to STORE each and every email that gets downloaded on the phone instead of syncing with the server ?

binoyshah

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Any suggestions guys ?

Need a way to keep each and every email downloaded on my phone, not just sync with the available mail on the server.

Important ..

binoyshah

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Right so I contacted Nokia Customer Care and asked them for a workaround this absolutely RETARDED system of syncing the mailbox with the email server.

They said the phone will only sync, there is no setting to store all the emails received permanently on the phone.

My blackberry that cost 1/3rd what I paid for this phone was better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss