Frustration with WP8 & 920

Johnrupp

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm a new user of WP8 and the 920, coming from an iPhone 5. I still run Android (Note 2) and a Blackberry Z10, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about all the major mobile OS's out there. I've used them all over the years, from webOS to iOS. Let me begin by saying I love my Nokia phone. It's beautiful, solid, feels great in the hand and is overall a nicely crafted piece of hardware. I also find there's lots to like with WP8: it's fluid, easy to use, beautiful, functional and has great potential. That said, I find myself growing more & more frustrated with both the phone and the OS. Since I've had it (nearly a month), I've discovered:

- I cannot connect to my work's Exchange server, despite the fact that I can with the iPhone, Android & Blackberry phones. I keep getting an error code 86000C29 when I try and setup an account. From what I've read from many others with this issue, this has to do with how the phone handles encryption (or doesn't). Incredible that of all the OS's, only Microsoft's won't work with a Microsoft product. And, yes, I've worked with IT on this. I'm in a company of over 500 and they won't adjust the rules for just one user.
- I can't connect to my company's WiFi network. Again, this is something all the other OS's can do, no problems. WP8 doesn't have enough options when it comes to the various security protocols my company calls for. Very frustrating.
- Live tiles are very unreliable with updates. This wouldn't be so bad if this wasn't the only way that apps have of notifying me of new posts, etc.
- And now, after the latest AT&T update for the 920, my phone's data functions barely work, and my battery discharges in less than 6 hours. I know a fix is coming, but, still, very frustrating and has made the phone nearly useless in the short term.

I'm going to stick with WP8 for a while and hope some of these issues are resolved either with 3rd party solutions (Touchdown for WP8, hopefully?), or the next update from Microsoft. I just find it bewildering that the undisputed king of the corporate world can't produce a product more tailored for work environments. Like I said, incredibly frustrating when the OS has such potential. Thank god for Nokia who, I feel, is actively supporting the phone and continues to innovate and update much more rapidly than MS. Glad I went with them over HTC at this point.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you are really giving it a go... Sorry you are having these issues. I have not had any of those issues myself, buy being one of the IT leads, I would've made an exception...

Microsoft really needs to get these security items in place before blackberry takes what businesses it can. Microsoft knows what is needed... A lot of these security features were windows mobile 6.5... I miss a lot of that robust os...

Wp8 is getting there, but this could be a deal breaker for you if toy already did not have other phones... It has been a deal breaker to others.

Microsoft should have owned this area. WP8 could been tightly integrated within their whole infrastructure, but they aren't unified enough within...

They better get it together!

Glad you took the time to enjoy the phone. I like to know and use os's too. I still need to get my hands on a blackberry... We just hated them to the point we just about banned them at our company.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The exchange bit really sucks. You would expect that Microsoft's phone would be the one that works the best with their own damn server. The imap configuration they have for email at my office doesn't (no exchange at work for me) work for my phone, I can get email but can't send. I think something needs to be changed in the server configuration but I don't think my NOC departments wants to try.

In my case my exchange set up has worked with no problems, as well as I have never had issues with wi-fi and my live tiles always update correctly.

I understand your frustration.

anon(631408)

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched also but out of your 4 issues only 1 is an issue that I am struggling with.
- I thought connecting to the exchange server was the easiest out of iOS and Android. Just sign-in and it did the rest. All starting syncing, it was great.
- the work WIFI connects fine but the only issue I have is it has a time-out but that is on all mobile devices. I think this is just the way it is setup.
- after the update, I really don't see any data issues and the battery may not last as long as before but nothing like yours.
- live tiles - I would really like these to work better - I agree with your assessment on that.

my other issues that I struggle with:
- notifications - I wish the apps had their own sound and that I could change my favorites text sounds. For example: ESPN on my iPhone does the sportscenter theme so I know it isn't that important (all depends on the game that is going on) but with WP8 same sound so I have to go and look at the phone to know what was just sent to me. I would also like the Microsoft mail to have a different sound than my exchange mail. I really don't care about the microsoft mail.
- I would really like the calendar live tile to show at least 3 of my next appointments not just 1. I know there are apps out there but it would be nice to have the built in one to handle this.

But like you I plan on keeping this for a while because it feels like a solid phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99