Has the 920s moment passed?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I own both a L800 and a L920. I use the L800 more. The L920 is my weekend phone, mainly because of the better camera.

Hardware:
The L920 has much better core hardware, which results in surprisingly few benefits during daily usage. Shorter app startup times are the most noticable improvement. The camera is the main differentiator.

Software:
In the OS department, WP8 does little noticeably better than WP7.8. I expect that WP8 won't become a relevant update over WP7.8 before Blue. The biggest thing GDR2 will do for my L920 is enable radio support, which my L800 had from day one.

HTC One:
In terms of hardware, build quality and the camera are the best reasons to buy the HTC One. However, the value proposition of a smartphone is in the software, not the hardware, so the real question is if you enjoy dealing with the mess that is Android. The best hardware in the world is worth zilch if you don't like the software. Since you just came back to WP from Android, I would recommend waiting for the next WP flagship devices.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I own both a L800 and a L920. I use the L800 more. The L920 is my weekend phone, mainly because of the better camera.

Hardware:
The L920 has much better core hardware, which results in surprisingly few benefits during daily usage. Shorter app startup times are the most noticable improvement. The camera is the main differentiator.

Software:
In the OS department, WP8 does little noticeably better than WP7.8. I expect that WP8 won't become a relevant update over WP7.8 before Blue. The biggest thing GDR2 will do for my L920 is enable radio support, which my L800 had from day one.

HTC One:
In terms of hardware, build quality and the camera are the best reasons to buy the HTC One. However, the value proposition of a smartphone is in the software, not the hardware, so the real question is if you enjoy dealing with the mess that is Android. The best hardware in the world is worth zilch if you don't like the software. Since you just came back to WP from Android, I would recommend waiting for the next WP flagship devices.

that and the hTC one reparability is non existent, that pretty much sucks if you ever break anything on it

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've heard people complain about the browser. What exactly is the problem? It's worked great for me!

For me it's little things, like content that sometimes doesn't load, phonedog.com Facebook articles seem to particularly almost always not Laos, but other sites, too. The lack of remembering field entries and passwords on frequently visited sites (I visit my library's website often, but the browser will not remember my library card number, which is a freaking long number, so I have to find my wallet each time).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've heard people complain about the browser. What exactly is the problem? It's worked great for me!

Download and try out UC Browser. UI wise I don't think UC browser is that great, but it will give you an idea of all the features mobile IE is missing.

What I dislike most about mobile IE is that the back button does web page navigation (previous page) AND OS app navigation (return to previous app). That is a major design flaw, as that design requires users to spam the back button (navigate backwards through all visited web pages) to close IE.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Download and try out UC Browser. UI wise I don't think UC browser is that great, but it will give you an idea of all the features mobile IE is missing.

What I dislike most about mobile IE is that the back button does web page navigation (previous page) AND OS app navigation (return to previous app). That is a major design flaw, as that design requires users to spam the back button (navigate backwards through all visited web pages) to close IE.

OR you can just close all the tabs and exit IE lol that's how i do it when i have lots of tabs open and it's much much faster and easier!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OR you can just close all the tabs and exit IE lol that's how i do it when i have lots of tabs open and it's much much faster and easier!

Yep. That's what I do too, but beside just being flat out clumsy and unnecessary, the design flaw leads to other issues as well:

For example, if you were browsing in IE, then return to the start screen to work with some other apps, and then finally relaunch IE, you will be returned right to page where you left off. However, you can now no longer navigate to the previous web page. Pressing the back-key now closes IE. This is just plain inconsistent. It's not good.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe the 920s moment has passed, however, the hardware inside the 920 is starting to reach its twilight years. However, Microsoft is reportedly working to get WP to support the latest mobile chips. I believe it's a safe bet that Nokia will release a more powerful phone alongside a significant WP8/WP9 software update.

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Is the 920 enough of an improvement fm the 900 or should I wait for whatever nokia has next?

This is in the eye of the beholder. For some, OIS would be enough...others wireless charging might be. For some people, they see a need to upgrade every time a new iPhone/iPad or Galaxy comes out simply because they have to have the "best". Does this mean they are noticeably better than the previous ones? I've had my Lumia 710 (bought off contract) for about a year. If you took the same relative performance and plopped Windows Phone 8 on top (simply for access to WP8-only apps), I wouldn't see much of a need to upgrade. The only feature really worth it to me to upgrade would be wireless charging. The problem lies with the lack of affordable accessories that take advantage of it. So unless I dropped even more money on one of the charging pillows/docks, I'm still "locked" into wired charging. And until I have even more money to drop into a second wireless station for my 2004 car, I still have to have cables anyway... so again, is it worth it? It's all in the eye of the beholder.

As a side note- I plan on getting a high end Lumia at some point simply to make it easier to promote Windows Phone to my friends and family. Walking around with a budget device isn't impressing anyone enough to switch when the impressive features are mostly on the higher end stuff...although I suppose the super sensitive screen is now becoming pretty standard. My wife is switching from the iPhone 4 to the Lumia 928 because she hates her iPhone and wants the better camera. I'm not sure she even knows nor cares about the wireless charging, much larger display, etc.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Which is funny considering we're all on 2 year agreements..... :wink:

Yep. Your phone lasts two years. Your upgrades come every 18-24 months. That means you get to skip the "S" updates (if you are on iPhone) or the alternating hardware on other platforms.

flyjeffd89

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I still love my Focus Flash, but am dis appointed that I can't seem to get the 7.8 upgrade. From what I've seen of it, the 920 looks pretty cool. I'm eligible for an upgrade in July, so we'll see what's what then. More than likely I'll switch up to the 920 though.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was going to flame you big time when I read your title, but you clarify more in the body. If I had the Lumia 900 and had a choice for an upgrade now to the 920 or wait for the 950 in 3 months, I'd wait for the 950.

Just look at the confirmed specs and rumored specs of upcoming WP8 devices..
1080p screen
Quad core
Solar charging
waterproof
EOS
Blue
return of FM radio
infinite standby spectrum charging
sharks with freakn lasers on their heads!

I have a 920 now and love it, but when the 950 comes out, this baby is being passed down in the family:).

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If I were you, I would wait for this summer to see what's next from Nokia.

The One is a great phone but I don't like Android. And honestly it doesn't have much over the 920... the 920 has a better camera, it's more durable, it runs Windows Phone (Haha, I know, not everyone considers this an advantage but I do), the 920 has wireless charging, Nokia's exclusive apps, and it's a Nokia phone so it will be supported for quite some time.... The One does have a better screen but really you won't be able to see a difference unless you look for one. Audio and the option for a 64 GB model are the only clear advantages for the One.

And Nokia is probably bringing something much better than the 920 this summer, so I would wait. Just my opinion!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss