Can the Lumia 920T (China) be changed to English language?

mr jeremy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I am thinking of getting the Lumia 920T to update my Samsung Focus and was hoping someone has some experience with it.
I'll be living in China for the next year and a bit so network compatibility is not a big issue but I need to be able to use the phone in English.

Am I likely to be able to change the language on this phone?

KayZeee

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
当然可以。区域语言就可设置啊!

Of course! i am using it now and loving it

Did you manage to get the app store in English? Mine is locked to China app store and even if I change region and also use outside China, the app store always opens China store (so no Skype, Facebook etc). Did you manage to bypass that?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Did you manage to get the app store in English? Mine is locked to China app store and even if I change region and also use outside China, the app store always opens China store (so no Skype, Facebook etc). Did you manage to bypass that?

The app store you get is based in your user profiles immutable country code. If you connect your 920T to a US user account, you will get the US store.

Alex Magik

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The app store you get is based in your user profiles immutable country code. If you connect your 920T to a US user account, you will get the US store.

wrong, i've a 920T and my profile / phone is set to english US. but when i go to the app store, it only available for china with chinese, cannot change to US in any way.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
wrong, i've a 920T and my profile / phone is set to english US. but when i go to the app store, it only available for china with chinese, cannot change to US in any way.

Nope, you don't understand. I'm not talking about phone settings. It's the country code set on your Microsoft user account. It has absolutely nothing to do with a language setting (like English).

Alex Magik

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Nope, you don't understand. I'm not talking about phone settings. It's the country code set on your Microsoft user account. It has absolutely nothing to do with a language setting (like English).

i had all to english, and still the 920T that is china only ignores the setting in the profile and goes for CN market. dot. tried everything, and nothing worked. you have an international 920 and you can swap market country, but the 920t doesn't, it's only china. i've both and the 920 is english US market, but the 920T, with the same account, just stay on china market.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried to install 920T firmware on 920 or vise versa? I have AT&T 920 and I was told that it is not compatible with T-Mobile.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried to install 920T firmware on 920 or vise versa? I have AT&T 920 and I was told that it is not compatible with T-Mobile.

Your 920 IS compatible with mobile, first because its GSM, and two, Tmobile refarmed some towers that provides ATT phones with "3G" speeds on Tmobile. If you are in those areas, but they're deploying that service all over.

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
All windows phones can be changed to display any of the supported language, both the OS and the keyboards. However the phones sold in china are locked into the chinese app market (a government requirement... it seems :-/).

If you can, I recommend you buy the HongKong version from one of the shops in the Taobao website (just make sure more peope bought in that shop and were satisfied with the product and the service). Also, make sure to buy the "Official HongKong" (正港) version, if you want to be able to use the warranty in mainland china, not only HK.

The HK version of the phone is "international", so it can use any app market, but therefore it does not work with the 3G network of China Mobile (as CM use their own chinese standard), only with 2G gprs/EDGE. It will work with 3G speed in China Unicom, though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i had all to english, and still the 920T that is china only ignores the setting in the profile and goes for CN market. dot. tried everything, and nothing worked. you have an international 920 and you can swap market country, but the 920t doesn't, it's only china. i've both and the 920 is english US market, but the 920T, with the same account, just stay on china market.

As I previously stated, this has nothing to do with the language settings, which is what it sounds like you are still experimenting with. If Marc_SP's is correct, in that politics force Microsoft to setup Chinese smartphones differently than everywhere else in the world, then I'm mistaken. Otherwise this is the setting that needs to be set to "United States" (it has nothing to do with a language settings, and it is immutable once setup, so it may require opening a new account):

profile.png

EDIT: Obviously, your phone needs to be linked to that U.S: account. If you're setting up a new account, that will also require a hard reset of the device.

Last edited:

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My girfriend has a HK Lumia 820 and the marketplace region can be changed just by selecting the country in the region settings of the phone and rebooting. Her Microsoft account is chinese and we are in mainland China. I have done this change several times to download skype and other apps.
If she had a chinese (mainland) version, the phone would be locked to CN store. That is why I bought her this HK version (aside from some other things the CN gov is forcing in the OS, such as disabling encryption and other things I prefer not to know, hehe. You can imagine why they do that things... :)).

Alex Magik

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Done that, useless. 920T is locked to china market app. What Marc_SP is saying is exactly what i was saying, it's locked hardware, doesn't matter sim card, or the account setting in the live.com linked to your phone. China phone is, china app store is what you get. No changeable. Nothing.

As I previously stated, this has nothing to do with the language settings, which is what it sounds like you are still experimenting with. If Marc_SP's is correct, in that politics force Microsoft to setup Chinese smartphones differently than everywhere else in the world, then I'm mistaken. Otherwise this is the setting that needs to be set to "United States" (it has nothing to do with a language settings, and it is immutable once setup, so it may require opening a new account):

View attachment 32535

EDIT: Obviously, your phone needs to be linked to that U.S: account. If you're setting up a new account, that will also require a hard reset of the device.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Well, I stand corrected. In my part of the world the code I mentioned is the only relevant factor. Apparently, the WP phones headed towards Asia, and particularly China, are setup differently.

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
still no way to change the 920T market to US or other country?

Sorry, but unless the OS is hacked (something unlikely to happen), probably you will never be able to change the market. It is locked by design (of the chinese gov). If you cannot stand it try to sell your phone and buy an international version (Hong Kong would be fine). :)

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
That is a horrible news, I actually do not live in the region , I bought this at my last trip to China as a gift to my wife. Just realized all those restrictions when arrived at my country.

If anyone knows a new way, please report here since I will be following this thread.

Thanks !
Sent from my Lumia920 using Foroplex

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)