Anyone else see *dramatic* battery improvement after 1314 update?

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Data usage : Work and home - WiFi and Commute - LTE

I had to charge 2 times or sometimes 2.5 times/day normally until yesterday. My idle drain rate used to hover around 8 to 9% per hour i.e the drainage without even touching the phone or with very light use.

I installed the 1314 update yesterday and charged my phone to 100% at around 9p and removed it from the charger. I've been using the phone as normally before and even did a 1hr phone call which I rarely do and went to sleep. Woke up this morning around 7am and found the battery at 75% which has never happened before. I usually wake up to 20% or sometimes dead phone but this has never happened. Not even close for once. On the way to work, used the phone in my commute as I normally do by using Weave and news readers and music using rdio/pandora.

The battery currently stands at 40%. That is 14hrs now. I've never had the phone last this long unless I put it in battery saver mode. No apps installed in between or no background tasks changed. The phone is same as that before the update except for the update itself.

Anyone else see this?

Hopefully, I didn't jinx this. I will be very happy if it lasts.

Last edited:

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You may have had something wrong with your original fw install.

I know that many have reported great battery life but also have seen many complain about poor life with pattern same as me as well. And, it has behaved the same since the day I bought the phone. That was in December and we've had 2 updates in between. Believe, there was a LTE network bug which I've always suspected for my poor battery life which got fixed along with this major connectivity issue.

anon(5348413)

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope. In fact, the first thing my phone did after the update and reboots, was to speed drain. Even with the phone on the wireless charger overnight, it drained faster than the charger could keep up and it was almost dead this morning. Getting really tired of this.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Data usage : Work and home - WiFi and Commute - LTE

I had to charge 2 times or sometimes 2.5 times/day normally until yesterday. My idle drain rate used to hover around 8 to 9% per hour i.e the drainage without even touching the phone or with very light use.

I installed the 1314 update yesterday and charged my phone to 100% at around 9p yesterday and removed it from the charger. I've been using the phone as normally before and even did a 1hr phone call which I rarely do and went to sleep. Woke up this morning around 7am and found the battery at 75% which has never happened before. I usually wake up to 20% or sometimes dead phone but this has never happened. Not even close for once. On the way to work, used the phone in my commute as I normally do by using Weave and news readers and music using rdio/pandora.

The battery currently stands at 40%. That is 14hrs now. I've never had the phone last this long unless I put it in battery saver mode. No apps installed in between or no background tasks changed. The phone is same as that before the update except for the update itself.

Anyone else see this?

Hopefully, I didn't jinx this. I will be very happy if it lasts.

I'm originally from NY and notice my battery life would be terrible when I'd come home to visit, similar to your experiences. I hope your improvement is permanent!

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Two thing to consider:
- if you had with the signal before this update, this update will fix it. Now because your phone doesn't look for signall a lot, it will consume less power.
- I wouldn't report on battery life after the first few days of an update. Maybe the battery needs to recalibrate itself to give more accurate numbers.

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Two thing to consider:
- if you had with the signal before this update, this update will fix it. Now because your phone doesn't look for signall a lot, it will consume less power.
- I wouldn't report on battery life after the first few days of an update. Maybe the battery needs to recalibrate itself to give more accurate numbers.

Regarding your first point, my battery life remained before and same after 1308 update which caused the signal issue. So it really does not explain the reason behind this update improving the battery life.
Second point, you're right. I'm praying it lasts. As I said, hopefully, I didn't jinx it :)

calinh

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed a "dramatic" improvement. Had about the same thing happen to me, went from a 7-9% drain on standby with 1308 to about 2% after updating. It's a pretty small sample size, but I hope it keeps up. wp_ss_20130412_0001.png

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed a "dramatic" improvement. Had about the same thing happen to me, went from a 7-9% drain on standby with 1308 to about 2% after updating. It's a pretty small sample size, but I hope it keeps up.

What app is used in the screenshot? I use Batttery Sense but think your graph looks lot cooler than one in that app.

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Nope. In fact, the first thing my phone did after the update and reboots, was to speed drain. Even with the phone on the wireless charger overnight, it drained faster than the charger could keep up and it was almost dead this morning. Getting really tired of this.

Sad to hear that. I know how frustrating when you can't use the phone when you want to. I have never see a phone drain this much when idle.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I was getting crazy good battery life on 1308 because my phone thought I was connected to service but I really wasn't. So my phone was pretty much on idle. Now that I have 1314 battery life seems to be back to where it always was. Still lasts me the day unless I spend a bit of time on a game.

I mean, look at this crazy screenshot during the time I had 1308 on the phone. I never had battery life like that. Even if you take a way the 14 days, 98% after being off charge for 7 hours is unreal.

wp_ss_20130407_0001.jpg

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, because my battery was bad because of the connection issues. On 1308, i had data issues so my phone tried to sync all my emails and account constantly so i had to charge up every day since the update. I didn't have to before that, back to normal after the update.

The signal was killing the battery, or lack thereof.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My battery has always been consistently good but now it's crazy good. I'm able to use "auto" screen brightness without abandon! I might even turn keyboard sounds back on...

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My battery life seemed to improve after the 1308 update, but I do not live in an LTE area. I haven't had the latest update installed long enough to tell.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Funny you should bring this up. I checked my battery stats while I was still on 1308 today and it said something like 86%, 1 day 14 hours remaining. I then installed the update, restarted the phone and have since made a few phone calls and I'm at 76% but now I have 2 days 12 hours remaining.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I was getting crazy good battery life on 1308 because my phone thought I was connected to service but I really wasn't. So my phone was pretty much on idle. Now that I have 1314 battery life seems to be back to where it always was. Still lasts me the day unless I spend a bit of time on a game.

I mean, look at this crazy screenshot during the time I had 1308 on the phone. I never had battery life like that. Even if you take a way the 14 days, 98% after being off charge for 7 hours is unreal.

Crazy. Did you actually use it for multiple days to see if it actually lasted that long? My L822 has done that a time or two, but then towards the end of the day all of a sudden it drops down to like 7% and tells me to plug in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750