speed test apps and poor results

techgeek360

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people post speed test results with a lot of varying results from the 1308/1314 updates. I think a lot of people put too much faith in the results they are seeing are correct. Originally I tested a bunch of apps and found bandwidth (no longer in store) gave the fastest most consistent results. Once I moved to the Lumia 920 I lost the app and tried them again. Seems best results came from free speed test. I often see over 30mb on LTE and 8 mb or so on 4G. One of the worse apps and assumed most popular is the speedtest.net app. I get horrible results and never see over 10 mb even on a very fast wifi connection. Although it does seem speedtest.net gives some of the lowest ping times results.

Also, I find it odd people complaining of results in the range of 5-10mb. As long as it is a low latency connection 3 or higher is perfectly fine for anyone in my opinion unless you are tethering and using it to download larger files which will cause you hit your limit very quickly. I really don't see the need of 30mb+ except for bragging rights perhaps.

I love the connection on my Lumia 920. I never have to use the airplane mode trick like I had too constantly with my HTC Titan. The few times my 920 lost connections users with android/iphone on At+t were seeing the same issue at that time and the airplane trick did not work for me like it did for my htc titan.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've experimented with a few speed test apps and most of them give me about the same results. I just test my phone with Speedtest .net and free speed test and the results were the same. At my home I'm getting 7 to 10 mbps down and 2 to 5 up, and I'm in valley with not the best reception.

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine is getting the same issue here, I often getting the lower speed when downloading and updating apps. But I hope for the next update.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I can see the different results by different tests, also ping vary a lot .... my LTE download speed is 40 - 50 Mbps and upload is 15-16 Mbps by "Speedtest.net", but "MySpeedtest" app does not give that high number for download speed (around half from that), even upload is around the same ... just adding that my current fw is 1308

I can remember that when I was testing my cp through my laptop by Speedtest.net (internet sharing) ... the numbers varied too ...

I agree that high download and upload are not so important, but we paid about that :) ... to see a low ping, would be more important ... well, we can usually have a low ping if a test server is close one ...

All these numbers can vary a lot depening on a test server as well as what time tests will be done (peak / low traffic) ...

loukkis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can see the different results by different tests, also ping vary a lot .... my LTE download speed is 40 - 50 Mbps and upload is 15-16 Mbps by "Speedtest.net", but "MySpeedtest" app does not give that high number for download speed (around half from that), even upload is around the same ... just adding that my current fw is 1308

I can remember that when I was testing my cp through my laptop by Speedtest.net (internet sharing) ... the numbers varied too ...

I agree that high download and upload are not so important, but we paid about that :) ... to see a low ping, would be more important ... well, we can usually have a low ping if a test server is close one ...

All these numbers can vary a lot depening on a test server as well as what time tests will be done (peak / low traffic) ...

And even different browsers have different results, you can try speedtest.net with your computer using ie, chrome and firefox. You can see huge difference in results.

rm rf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
And even different browsers have different results, you can try speedtest.net with your computer using ie, chrome and firefox. You can see huge difference in results.

As does different speedtest.net sites. Speedtest seems to think that servers that are geographically close are the best for testing. That leads to poor results. Physical 'nearness' is not as important as logical network 'nearness'. One might be best choosing a server that is fewer network hops away, rather than one that's a few miles away, but traceroutes to the far coast and back.

In any case, as of today with my 920, speedtest.net reports the same performance on ATT LTE as it does on my local WiFi, so LTE performance isn't

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Totally agree!!!

These programs or 'tests' give no indication of true speed. It's hit and miss.
If your connection speeds: Data or Wi-Fi are slow, you WILL notice. I wouldn't trust any of these things.

If you are getting fast Webpage loads or reasonably quick Marketplace downloads, there is nothing wrong with your speeds. These will also vary depending on time of day. Try not to get fixated on 'numbers', as these tend to indicate a problem when there is none.....

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
wp_ss_20130209_0001.jpg

Not even the fastest i've got. Best i got was 100Mbps on 1308.

Make sure to click ... > settings and choose a different server if youre getting slow speeds.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs