Lord have mercy, are these REAL!!??!

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone bought one of these? They look too good to be true!
3rd Edit: Sorry if my OP seemed like an eBay spam. I promise I'm not an eBay spammer. =(.

And yeah, I didn't buy the first link that I showed, but rather bought this white one for $40. I emailed the seller and he said it's "OEM", and high quality. I'm crossing my finger this one is not a fake, and cross your fingers for me too >_>
I'm praying I didn't pay $40 for a plastic.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1439.l2649&token=G0Z258-l

Last edited:

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Be careful they are not fake. They may be just normal ABS plastic, the genuine article as we all known is polycarbonate and it says nothing about what they are made of.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
While they give the impression of being 'original quality', I don't believe they are made by Nokia as it doesn't say they are. Even a fake is original in it's own right.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The first link the OP posted look like cheap Chinese knock-offs but the second link looks like a genuine part (although it's still impossible to tell). However, replacing the entire shell involves taking the phone apart which voids the warranty on the phone.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Not really... plastic can be very cheap. It's a word standing for a huge group of materials... Polycarbonate IS (a kind of) plastic. That is true! But something made of plastic does not have to be made of polycarbonate... Polycarbonate is a very high quality material with a lot of awesome features. So don't be mistaken and think "it's just plastic..."

If you are interested in reading more about plastics and polycarbonates:
Plastic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Polycarbonate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Such a misleading title :(

Not sure I really want to start taking my phone apart just for a colour.
I'll just make do with a SpongeBob sticker that my daughter put on it.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
polycarbonate is only a fancy word for plastic.

It is, yes. But there is a big difference between Lumia's polycarbonate and plastic knock off housing. Lumia's polycarbonate is colored through. Cheap knock off housings are most likely colored over with black or white plastic underneath. This is because colored through polycarbonate is a lot more expensive to manufacture.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
this thread is not what I expected. :winktongue:

and then when I followed the links I see these are just covers, not expanded battery covers, so I'm more than just a little disappointed. Makes me wonder if the OP is the one with the ebay auction.....

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I think those (especially the ones I posted) are real. I went to my Rogers store to check out Lumias, and I noticed that the prototypes were all made in China. Maybe the cases that were made in China were the ones used for prototypes?
The white is so gorgeous! It's like a slick white Mercedes Benz. Hehe.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
They might be real but the problem is that you have to transfer the antennas and wireless charging from one case to another...it's not an easy change

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
this thread is not what I expected. :winktongue:

and then when I followed the links I see these are just covers, not expanded battery covers, so I'm more than just a little disappointed. Makes me wonder if the OP is the one with the ebay auction.....

It was exactly what I had expected!
I'd looked at getting a replacement casing before and the prices were around the $100 mark. This is much better!!
Just nice to know if my back gets all scratched up and i want a new one, or i want to change the colour..
And given that he's changed the link to a better looking cover (with the little ceramic bit and some extra components on the case) i'm sure hes not the seller.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
actually is not that hard if you are trying to change the case. That video is teaching how to take out parts within the main body. Otherwise all you need is to disconnect parts from the case and pop out the front panel.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I emailed the guy on ebay and he said it's factory OEM from Nokia...comes with antennas but no wireless charging so you'd have to take it off the old one which is a bit of a *****

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel