Has anyone bought one of these? They look too good to be true!
    3rd Edit: Sorry if my OP seemed like an eBay spam. I promise I'm not an eBay spammer. =(.

And yeah, I didn't buy the first link that I showed, but rather bought this white one for $40. I emailed the seller and he said it's "OEM", and high quality. I'm crossing my finger this one is not a fake, and cross your fingers for me too >_>
    I'm praying I didn't pay $40 for a plastic.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-53...84.m1439.l2649
    Last edited by abel920; 04-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    04-13-2013 09:25 PM
    I have a link for those of you in America who want to swap out your cases. Just so you know, this isn't a pop-out-and-pop-in procedure. Below is a link to a youtube video where this person is disassembling and reassembling the 920. The case swap looks like a pretty involved procedure.

A store in the United States:
    Back Cover for Nokia Lumia 920 -Red - Parts4repair.Com

Disassembly/reassembly video:
    04-13-2013 10:39 PM
    Be careful they are not fake. They may be just normal ABS plastic, the genuine article as we all known is polycarbonate and it says nothing about what they are made of.
    04-14-2013 02:09 PM
    While they give the impression of being 'original quality', I don't believe they are made by Nokia as it doesn't say they are. Even a fake is original in it's own right.
    04-14-2013 02:45 PM
    The first link the OP posted look like cheap Chinese knock-offs but the second link looks like a genuine part (although it's still impossible to tell). However, replacing the entire shell involves taking the phone apart which voids the warranty on the phone.
    abel920 and argenys like this.
    04-15-2013 04:57 AM
    polycarbonate is only a fancy word for plastic.
    04-15-2013 09:03 AM
    Not really... plastic can be very cheap. It's a word standing for a huge group of materials... Polycarbonate IS (a kind of) plastic. That is true! But something made of plastic does not have to be made of polycarbonate... Polycarbonate is a very high quality material with a lot of awesome features. So don't be mistaken and think "it's just plastic..."

If you are interested in reading more about plastics and polycarbonates:
    Plastic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Polycarbonate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)
    LBLEIJE likes this.
    04-15-2013 09:20 AM
    Such a misleading title :(

Not sure I really want to start taking my phone apart just for a colour.
    I'll just make do with a SpongeBob sticker that my daughter put on it.
    Gambit11B, abel920 and koldmiser like this.
    04-15-2013 10:28 AM
    It is, yes. But there is a big difference between Lumia's polycarbonate and plastic knock off housing. Lumia's polycarbonate is colored through. Cheap knock off housings are most likely colored over with black or white plastic underneath. This is because colored through polycarbonate is a lot more expensive to manufacture.
    tissotti and abel920 like this.
    04-15-2013 01:48 PM
    this thread is not what I expected.

and then when I followed the links I see these are just covers, not expanded battery covers, so I'm more than just a little disappointed. Makes me wonder if the OP is the one with the ebay auction.....
    04-15-2013 03:50 PM
    I think those (especially the ones I posted) are real. I went to my Rogers store to check out Lumias, and I noticed that the prototypes were all made in China. Maybe the cases that were made in China were the ones used for prototypes?
    The white is so gorgeous! It's like a slick white Mercedes Benz. Hehe.
    04-16-2013 04:35 PM
    They might be real but the problem is that you have to transfer the antennas and wireless charging from one case to another...it's not an easy change
    04-16-2013 06:30 PM
    Not quite, Polycarbonate is similar to ABS I believe but is a little bit softer and less prone to cracking or scratching, and the colour is dyed right through so scratches are not visible.
    04-17-2013 03:21 AM
    this thread is not what I expected.

and then when I followed the links I see these are just covers, not expanded battery covers, so I'm more than just a little disappointed. Makes me wonder if the OP is the one with the ebay auction.....
    It was exactly what I had expected!
    I'd looked at getting a replacement casing before and the prices were around the $100 mark. This is much better!!
    Just nice to know if my back gets all scratched up and i want a new one, or i want to change the colour..
    And given that he's changed the link to a better looking cover (with the little ceramic bit and some extra components on the case) i'm sure hes not the seller.
    04-17-2013 07:39 AM
    actually is not that hard if you are trying to change the case. That video is teaching how to take out parts within the main body. Otherwise all you need is to disconnect parts from the case and pop out the front panel.
    04-17-2013 10:20 AM
    I emailed the guy on ebay and he said it's factory OEM from Nokia...comes with antennas but no wireless charging so you'd have to take it off the old one which is a bit of a *****
    04-17-2013 12:40 PM