Canadian 920 users, eh?

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Canadians with a windows phone are a rare breed indeed. Everyday I take the streetcar too and from work and all I see is a sea of iPhones.....its just sad. Seems like most don't even know wp exists.

....but the last few times I've gone out with friends people have started to take notice.

Both times someone would see my phone and say "that's a windows phone, right?". I'd hand it off, people would gather and kinda marvel at this strange new is that moves and changes....ya know, unlike a grid of dead icons.

Anyway, the last time someone asked about it I showed then how to use it and they seem kinda shocked at how much more user friendly it is and how the philosophy behind the hubs and how you connect with people is so easy and fluid.

Lastly I showed a quick video I took and they were blown away (I've got a 920). It was just a vid of me on my balcony showing a 360 view but they couldn't believe it. Said it looked 3d.

One guy, an admittedly huge apple supporter..everything he has is apple said "That's my next phone." while pointing at it with conviction in his eyes ahaha.

Peeps are starting to see there is a new option out there!

Ramble complete.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Rogers has been alright with Windows Phone, at least the updates come through on time! But the lack of Visual Voicemail irks me, and those Canadian banks not putting out any WP apps, don't get me started there. Otherwise, I am a very happy Lumia 920 user (as well as Surface Pro and non-touch Windows 8 PC).

What do you mean lack of visual voicemail? o_O

I have a Rogers L920 and I have visual voicemail on mine..

And yes I agree, Canadian Banks need to get their butts in gear and release apps for WP8 devices.

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I have had a 920 since launch and the 900 and Focus before that. I recently convinced a buddy to get a 920 (he waited patiently for more colours). Also my brothers have a Ativ and a LG WP7. Really happy with my 920. On a side note, people should check out the location based game Greed City. would be nice to start seeing more Canadians.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually noticing more and more L920's in the wild! haven't seen a single HTC or ATIV here in Toronto, but noticing L920 on the subway and in the gym all the time now, it is obviously not at the same rate as iphones and galaxies, but much better than what it was before.

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey fellow Canadian 920ers. Just a quick thought on the banking app thing. First of all, make sure you tweet/email/phone your banks and let them know you want one (especially twitter. Normally that team is plugged into the online people). Also, TD has an actual half decent wireless logon service for Easyweb at td.com/w (disclosure, I work at TD:).

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey fellow Canadian 920ers. Just a quick thought on the banking app thing. First of all, make sure you tweet/email/phone your banks and let them know you want one (especially twitter. Normally that team is plugged into the online people). Also, TD has an actual half decent wireless logon service for Easyweb at td.com/w (disclosure, I work at TD:).

Thanks Commander, I'll check it out. Please push them for a WP app!

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Been a Toronto WP/WM user as far back as the UTStarcom 6700 lol. Stuck through all the thick and thin and couldn't be happier with my yellow Rogers L920 (though the 1308 update's data issues has slightly annoyed me).

I converted my g/f to WP and now to the L920 after being a long time BB user. My mom's 1st smartphone is the HTC HD7. I got my dad a used LG WP a few yrs ago. And converted my best friend to making the L920 his work phone. But it's only now that I'm seeing people curious about WP8 here in the city. From my perspective iPhone and BB rules what I can see on a regular basis. The suits are very loyal to BB in the financial district. I've honestly only seen maybe 3-5 WP8 phones in all my travels downtown since the Nov launch. People still ask me dumb questions like "What phone is that??". "Is that an iPhone?". But it's once I show them what it can do and the UI they're usually impressed and comment how much nicer it is compared to their iPhone.

The largest problem here in Toronto at least is marketing. Rogers is the only carrier to put minimal effort into WP's. They had one lousy commercial that aired every hour on tv for about 3 weeks and that was it. Meanwhile, BB launched BB10 and every single carrier has a sign out front weeks before launch promoting the heck out of it. Even 3rd party phone vendors did the same. My BB fanboys all upgraded to the Z10 or waiting on the Q10. I'm literally the only person in my office of at least 150 people with a WP. And only person so far actually knew what it was without asking me. Most actually mock me for having a Nokia phone because in their eyes they firmly assume my phone is a piece of junk in comparison to their Z10's or iPhones. If only they knew...

Anyway I've been promoting the hell out of my phone with family and friends. But I really feel MS should start investing in promoting these phones in Canada and get the carriers on side. I'd honestly say that 70% or more average smartphone users here in Toronto either don't know what WP8 is or have never experienced using one.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

Your competitors, ING Direct (Canada) have a WP8 app and RBC are developing one...
I can understand not having one to be honest as WP8 has low penetration in Canada but what about a Windows 8 app...that can be easily parlayed into a WP8 app...

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Been a Toronto WP/WM user as far back as the UTStarcom 6700 lol. Stuck through all the thick and thin and couldn't be happier with my yellow Rogers L920 (though the 1308 update's data issues has slightly annoyed me).

I converted my g/f to WP and now to the L920 after being a long time BB user. My mom's 1st smartphone is the HTC HD7. I got my dad a used LG WP a few yrs ago. And converted my best friend to making the L920 his work phone. But it's only now that I'm seeing people curious about WP8 here in the city. From my perspective iPhone and BB rules what I can see on a regular basis. The suits are very loyal to BB in the financial district. I've honestly only seen maybe 3-5 WP8 phones in all my travels downtown since the Nov launch. People still ask me dumb questions like "What phone is that??". "Is that an iPhone?". But it's once I show them what it can do and the UI they're usually impressed and comment how much nicer it is compared to their iPhone.

The largest problem here in Toronto at least is marketing. Rogers is the only carrier to put minimal effort into WP's. They had one lousy commercial that aired every hour on tv for about 3 weeks and that was it. Meanwhile, BB launched BB10 and every single carrier has a sign out front weeks before launch promoting the heck out of it. Even 3rd party phone vendors did the same. My BB fanboys all upgraded to the Z10 or waiting on the Q10. I'm literally the only person in my office of at least 150 people with a WP. And only person so far actually knew what it was without asking me. Most actually mock me for having a Nokia phone because in their eyes they firmly assume my phone is a piece of junk in comparison to their Z10's or iPhones. If only they knew...

Anyway I've been promoting the hell out of my phone with family and friends. But I really feel MS should start investing in promoting these phones in Canada and get the carriers on side. I'd honestly say that 70% or more average smartphone users here in Toronto either don't know what WP8 is or have never experienced using one.

I saw my first BB Z10 device today at a customer...I don't think they are selling nearly as well as iphones and galaxys here in Canada (i'm in GTA)...I fear BB will not be with us that long as they have no new devices for the emerging markets which need <$200 off contract prices and low data...sales don't seem to be very good in the US.

Yeah, no promotion at all of Windows Phone here in Canada...no idea why...MS have a terrible marketing department here for all products though...
I'm one of the few that have a windows phone now

ololmarc

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
can you check if the ativ has aws for wind?
i'm thinking of buying my gf an ativ rather than the lumia. she likes the larger screen and lighter weight.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
can you check if the ativ has aws for wind?
i'm thinking of buying my gf an ativ rather than the lumia. she likes the larger screen and lighter weight.

I could have got that phone for free but I ended up with a 920 (got the 920 before actually)...work is 100% iphones now but I'm still rocking a WP8 device...since we are moving towards WIN8 later this year I think they will support WP8 phones in the future (10000+ European based company...outside of iphones and ipads we are mostly MS)

I would also like to know about AWS as my wife is on wind and her HD7 is long in the tooth...ativ is a nice phone

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually noticing more and more L920's in the wild! haven't seen a single HTC or ATIV here in Toronto, but noticing L920 on the subway and in the gym all the time now, it is obviously not at the same rate as iphones and galaxies, but much better than what it was before.
Same here, I see WP8 almost every other day on TTC, and the other day a guy with L920 sat beside me on subway too haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs