Waterlogged Lumia 920

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems rather harsh that I have to live with the fact that my phone can die anytime. Maybe I can get that mobile insurance thing which says it covers water damage.

Maybe don't roam around in rain with your phone in your pocket? I don't see what you expect users on this forum to suggest you. Water damage is a pretty irreversible damage and no manufacture warranty covers it unless its a swimming goggles company! You can of course take the unethical route of insuring your phone now claiming it wasn't damaged when you insured but I doubt you would get many users from this forum supporting you for that. It's your call at the end of the day.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
And as we speak of dishonesty, the ultimate is to sell ur phone to some1 totally unsuspecting, then get a new one... But that is just devious!

Rahul: I think ur phone will function for at least 3 months, possibly even up to 6. I know a specific case (one of my friends) when iPhone4 was accidentally dropped in a swimming pool (2 meters depth), stayed there about 40 secs until it was taken from the water, the owner just dried it for about 2 days, and the device was functioning despite all expectations for 10 months. Then it just died.
There aren't any rules, it can die tommorrow, but can easily last for month.

Rahul Gondane

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Maybe don't roam around in rain with your phone in your pocket? I don't see what you expect users on this forum to suggest you. Water damage is a pretty irreversible damage and no manufacture warranty covers it unless its a swimming goggles company! You can of course take the unethical route of insuring your phone now claiming it wasn't damaged when you insured but I doubt you would get many users from this forum supporting you for that. It's your call at the end of the day.

I don't roam around in the rain with my phone in pocket, so that's a completely incorrect assumption. I was riding, it started raining really heavily, and I stopped at the first shade I could find and then didn't move until the rain stopped. Why the sarcasm?

I'm not sure of what suggestions I'm expecting either, I just want to know if anyone was in a similar situation and if they did anything about it.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It's a shame the 920 doesn't have a removable battery because the proper way to rescue a water logged phone is to first pull the battery and then thoroughly clean the phone in distilled water. This cleaning process removes any salt and mineral deposits left behind by "normal" water which is what actually causes the corrosion to take place. Once it's had its shower of distilled water, the drying process can then take place.

It is possible to disassemble your 920 theres a you tube video about it you need tweezers a platic knife and three tiny torx screwdrivers. Google or bing it or send me a pm and i'll email you the url.

Rahul Gondane

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It is possible to disassemble your 920 theres a you tube video about it you need tweezers a platic knife and three tiny torx screwdrivers. Google or bing it or send me a pm and i'll email you the url.

I know the video you're talking about mate, but even the service center guy didn't want to open it up because he said there's a risk of something not working when he puts it back together. Why is that?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like at this point your warranty is more or less useless so there's no reason to try the alcohol/distilled water trick to prolong the life of your phone as long as you do it carefully and accept that if something goes wrong your phone is dead much quicker than you'd planned. If it does work though, you'd have the 920 potentially for longer. It's a trade-off that only you can really decide upon.

Here's a link to a good breakdown: How to take the Nokia Lumia 920 apart - for the DIY crowd | Windows Phone Central

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Wait, I just read that u mentioned u went to a shelter and stayed there... If the phone was in ur pocket, the water might not get in it. So, the whole story here is irrelevant. It is not like u fell in a pool or some1 spilled several buckets of water on u. I hope u haven't been on the rain till soaking wet, and then found a shelter.
U also mentioned the phone is working. Continue to use it, if it was just some drops of water on it, u r in luck, even the water doesn't get in that fast.
I think after ur explanation, that there is a great possibility the phone is undamaged. However, if it dies suddenly u should be prepared, and to know just what happened.
Cheers.

Rahul Gondane

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Wait, I just read that u mentioned u went to a shelter and stayed there... If the phone was in ur pocket, the water might not get in it. So, the whole story here is irrelevant. It is not like u fell in a pool or some1 spilled several buckets of water on u. I hope u haven't been on the rain till soaking wet, and then found a shelter.
U also mentioned the phone is working. Continue to use it, if it was just some drops of water on it, u r in luck, even the water doesn't get in that fast.
I think after ur explanation, that there is a great possibility the phone is undamaged. However, if it dies suddenly u should be prepared, and to know just what happened.
Cheers.

Yep, basically I was completely drenched but the phone had a thin film of water on it and wasn't submerged as such. I am prepared though, thanks for all your help mate :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs