Camera and motion sensor stopped working

jlink38

May 20, 2012
Visit site
All of sudden yesterday, my camera doesn't open anymore. When I click "Camera" it just goes back to the start screen. Funny, as the camera works just fine in any other app that uses the camera. Also, City Lens reports my devices has no motion sensor.

I am very frustrated. There is an official Nokia repair facility near me, so I will be stopping in Monday, but this is the FIRST time I've ever had a problem with a phone, especially after only having it for 2 weeks.

Hopefully this isn't a systemic problem.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Before taking it to the repair facility try a couple of resets first. The first one is a simulated battery pull (because the 920 doesn't have a removable battery). Press and hold the volume down and power buttons together for roughly 12 seconds until the phone vibrates. The phone should automatically reboot. The second reset is; Volume down + Power + Camera button held together until the phone vibrates. Then release the power button but keep holding the other two for approx. five seconds then release.

You won't lose any data on the phone but the date and time will reset to factory defaults unless you have auto time & date activated and your network supports it.

jlink38

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Before taking it to the repair facility try a couple of resets first. The first one is a simulated battery pull (because the 920 doesn't have a removable battery). Press and hold the volume down and power buttons together for roughly 12 seconds until the phone vibrates. The phone should automatically reboot. The second reset is; Volume down + Power + Camera button held together until the phone vibrates. Then release the power button but keep holding the other two for approx. five seconds then release.

You won't lose any data on the phone but the date and time will reset to factory defaults unless you have auto time & date activated and your network supports it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have reset the phone about 10 or so times as of now, and also did a firmware reset through NaviFirm, putting a fresh image on the phone. I am just stumped. Really didn't want to have any problems with the phone after so many have. Ugh.

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me to but it came like that right out of the box so i went back to the store, and they switched the motherboard and now everything works fine.

jlink38

May 20, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me to but it came like that right out of the box so i went back to the store, and they switched the motherboard and now everything works fine.

Hmm alright. I will bring it to the shop on Monday and see what they can do. I am an American living in Italy, so I will have to communicate to them that I already tried resetting everything over and over. Hopefully they get it.

BaronGreenback

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread - I believe I have the same issue.

All of a sudden none of my Lumia 920's (WP8.1 DVP latest build) sensors are working (no gyro, accelerometer, proximity sensor, GPS), and the camera app crashes as soon as I take a photo.

I've tried a hard reset today and that has made no difference. It would be good to know how the OP's problem was resolved - but has this been a common problem?
Thanks

Drisker

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread - I believe I have the same issue.

All of a sudden none of my Lumia 920's (WP8.1 DVP latest build) sensors are working (no gyro, accelerometer, proximity sensor, GPS), and the camera app crashes as soon as I take a photo.

I've tried a hard reset today and that has made no difference. It would be good to know how the OP's problem was resolved - but has this been a common problem?
Thanks

I had exactly the same problem on my 920 8.1 DevP about 1 week after preview release and it fixed itself after DevP update 1 but now its back again, is there any solution or should i just wait for official 8.1 release along with Cyan ?

jonathanmarston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been having nearly the same issues on my 920 for a few weeks now; shortly after installing the dev preview. The only difference is for me the GPS seems to keep functioning. The problem seems to usually go away for a few minutes after restarting the phone, but after using the phone for a bit the orientation sensor dies, the proximity sensor stops working, and the camera refuses to take pictures.

Yesterday I reverted to 8.0 and installed Cyan/8.1 hoping it would fix it, but I'm still having the same problem... anyone else have this issue? Any idea how to fix it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs