Very bad signal! L920

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, ever since about a week ago my signal has gone from bad to almost nothing. I'm lucky to get 1 bar of G and sometimes I get nothing indoors or even in shops. I can get 3G if outside in a strong signal area like town centre. My GF got hers about a month ago and mine is from December 2012. I'm on EE and she's on Orange EE. Phone set to 3G max, done a hard reset, soft reset and switch flight mode on and off as well. Running 1308.

EDIT: Our OS Version, Firmware revision, Hardware revision, Radio software version and Chip SOC version are both the same.

Oh and I swapped the sims, so pretty sure it's the phone

My 920: wp_ss_20130420_0002 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
GFs 920: wp_ss_20130420_0001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried swapping SIMs to see what if it makes a difference? My L920 is from Dec 12 and it's not bad, but as you say, outdoors I get 3G+ &H+.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mate it's hot and sunny, well it was lol now its night time. Anyways don't Orange and EE use the same masts? As they're the same company

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they do, but I find that when it's cloudy, I get upto 2 bars of signal indoors! Yes, I have well bad reception where I live. Gets worse on a cloudless sky. I'm in UK too, London NW.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It's doing it again! My gf can get a good 3G signal in my house but when we went shopping, I could get a better signal than her! This is dumb. Right this moment I have no signal

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think this is elaborately discussed in more than one threads about 1308 update. Even the UK 1308 update thread discusses this. The way AT&T has got their own 1314 update by Nokia, the rest of the world needs this OS. The reason it isn't such a big outcry as AT&T users is because it affects most of the phones that run on a network that is 3G & 4G. There aren't many 4G networks around the globe yet. In the UK, it's only EE and I will be surprised if more EE customers (Orange and Tmobile too!) haven't noticed this horrible connectivity. I am not sure what other countries around the globe have 4G, but 1308 on those network handsets will cause the same sort of chaos. I have hopelessly tweeted Nokia a LOT of time and even sent emails to Nokia but they have only released 1314 for AT&T customers because it was a huge number and clearly visible. The rest of us seem to be in minority and Nokia doesn't see this as a problem at all. Our best bet is we get this patched when we get GDR2 from Microsoft in July. I am just adapting to not having connectivity when I need.

If you guys do have spare minutes, drop an email and/or tweet or Facebook message to Nokia and let them know what network you are on and direct them to more than 10 threads on this board. Hopefully they will get 1314 for all Lumias before GDR2.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried to downgrade to 1017 but nokia care suite just automatically switched it to 1308. Will try again offline

Other than that, just gonna fart around with the phone's settings

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have 4 920s in the house and I've so far had spare time to downgrade two of those. How I've done it is - from Navifirm get the old 1249 firmware. Save it in ProgramData/Nokia/Packages/Products/RM-821 : this will give some sort of overwrite dialogue and say yes. Then when you go and flash your Lumia 920 through NCS 5.0, you will see 1249 firmware as a choice to flash on your phone. From there on it's one of the simple procedures really. You will be asked if you want to download an update once you have 1249 - this is OTA notification on phone, just say no! Or better if you untick boxes for find updates/download automatically in settings - phone update, once you have flashed 1249 successfully.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Bump. Anyone else having any 3G or signal problems? It seems I can get a good signal in busy areas but further out of town (where my gf can still get 3G), I get nothing

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Bump. Anyone else having any 3G or signal problems? It seems I can get a good signal in busy areas but further out of town (where my gf can still get 3G), I get nothing

I think Nokia Care is your best option.

1314 Firmware will be rolled out globally. You can also wait on that to see if it helps rectify your issue. Up to you.

Jon Farley

May 11, 2013
Visit site
im getting the same problem, i have a L920 on orange and im in NW london. ive been looking a lot into this recently and it seems that its orange more than anything, my signal is intermittant as ****! the thing is theres pretty much nothing we can do about it by the looks of it, im pretty sure 90 odd percent of orange customers have this same problem and all we get from customer service are lies. i am would love to meet the MD of orange and rip his head off. i cant believe that orange are getting away with it. it seems that they get you into a 2 year contract by mis selling you the info and then once they have your money they dont care about you anymore. i even watched a video on youtube of a guy who recorded all of his phone calls to them and has all the proof of them misselling him the contract but STILL cant do anything about it. i'll link the vid underneath. however, what is this GDR2 update you speak of?

here watch this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BecASN3BV9w

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
im getting the same problem, i have a L920 on orange and im in NW london. ive been looking a lot into this recently and it seems that its orange more than anything, my signal is intermittant as ****! the thing is theres pretty much nothing we can do about it by the looks of it, im pretty sure 90 odd percent of orange customers have this same problem and all we get from customer service are lies. i am would love to meet the MD of orange and rip his head off. i cant believe that orange are getting away with it. it seems that they get you into a 2 year contract by mis selling you the info and then once they have your money they dont care about you anymore. i even watched a video on youtube of a guy who recorded all of his phone calls to them and has all the proof of them misselling him the contract but STILL cant do anything about it. i'll link the vid underneath. however, what is this GDR2 update you speak of?

here watch this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BecASN3BV9w

I had a phone convo with them this weekend. The area where I am in, they are fixing 4G apparently since a freaking month and hence I've been having issues. They are apologized and instead of even connecting me to technical support, which I insisted, they have credited me with two month's line rental!

Jon Farley

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a phone convo with them this weekend. The area where I am in, they are fixing 4G apparently since a freaking month and hence I've been having issues. They are apologized and instead of even connecting me to technical support, which I insisted, they have credited me with two month's line rental!
are you in london? yeh ive had the same, they said they will credit my account etc but whether they will or not remains to be seen lol. thing is they can credit my account all they want but it doesnt change the fact that i have no signal. especially as ive recently lost 2 months worth of work because the customer couldnt get hold of me. infuriating. its annoying because orange know exactly how bad their signal is and rather than fixing it they'd rather cover their asses in the contract and get out of losing you as a customer. ive also had the whole, "theres a mast down in your area" excuse and the funny thing is when i looked into it, there is no mast in my area haha. which would probably explain the crap signal. again, more lies. surely trading standards must have been onto them by now, theyre a joke.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Same thing is happening with Rogers customers in Canada. I was able to reach Nokia tech support and they told me that the 1308 released was incomplete and there will be a second firmware update (1314) to address all the issues, they did not have any timelines available.

Maybe we can have a global 1308 issues sticky going, so at least when people talk to the provider or to nokia they can give them a link to the thread to actually show them that this is a bigger issue than what they think.

I want to support Nokia, i was patient about the dust in the camera (still have it), patient about all the other blunders and the battery flash drains, but I need my phone to perform at least its basic functions. I have no connection very often, missed calls, dropped calls, missing sms, MMS doesn't work at all any more. Its getting extremely hard to cheer for Nokia, when they allow their own mistakes to go on for this long without being addressed.

I'm not sure how they are expecting to mount a full comeback when they are screwing over the current customer base of early adopters by being negligent and not addressing things fast enough.
I think this is elaborately discussed in more than one threads about 1308 update. Even the UK 1308 update thread discusses this. The way AT&T has got their own 1314 update by Nokia, the rest of the world needs this OS. The reason it isn't such a big outcry as AT&T users is because it affects most of the phones that run on a network that is 3G & 4G. There aren't many 4G networks around the globe yet. In the UK, it's only EE and I will be surprised if more EE customers (Orange and Tmobile too!) haven't noticed this horrible connectivity. I am not sure what other countries around the globe have 4G, but 1308 on those network handsets will cause the same sort of chaos. I have hopelessly tweeted Nokia a LOT of time and even sent emails to Nokia but they have only released 1314 for AT&T customers because it was a huge number and clearly visible. The rest of us seem to be in minority and Nokia doesn't see this as a problem at all. Our best bet is we get this patched when we get GDR2 from Microsoft in July. I am just adapting to not having connectivity when I need.

If you guys do have spare minutes, drop an email and/or tweet or Facebook message to Nokia and let them know what network you are on and direct them to more than 10 threads on this board. Hopefully they will get 1314 for all Lumias before GDR2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise