Tipping point

somubtech

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I love Windows Phone 8/ Nokia Lumia 920, as much as you folks do, if not more. However, there is always a tipping point. I have been having issues from day-1 I got my Lumia 920. I loved it, but there was always an issue or two.

1. First 2 weeks, I had serious battery problems, draining from 100% to 20% in notime. I almost returned the phone, but to my surprise I found a trick that really worked - draining the battery fully.
2. After a month, I had some issue, and I tried to factory restore the phone, and it bricked. Called Nokia for help, and I was guided with some trouble shooting, and finally ended up asking me to ship the phone. I did not want to do that, so tried flashing the OS, and it worked. However I wasted almost 1 day to bring up the phone back to normal. Not to mention the time it took to re-install apps, and setting up home screen etc etc.
3. I changed my Microsoft ID, and I had to do a factory reset. The thing ended up in bricking again. The step 2 repeated again. This time, I was not able to install Nokia Suite on my computer because of some software issue. So, the phone was unusable for 2days until I got my friends laptop, and installed Nokia care and flashed my phone. It was very frustrating.
4. Today, a weird thing happened. Camera started taking out of focus pictures. No, I did not drop the phone. Every single photo taken was out of focus. So I called Nokia care, and same old story-factory reset. Not to my surprise, the phone bricked again. I literally yelled at representative (I should not have), and asked if there was an alternative to shipping phone to Nokia, she said I can take it to AT&T support, and exchange under warranty. I started driving to AT&T device support, and the phone came alive from bricking.

Apart from the hardware issues mentioned above, there were several software related issues, like there is no way I can backup my home screen and restore it???? And also, when I restore my phone from backup, there are so many settings I have to set it up myself, everything is moved back to default. Regarding home screen, mine is a long list of tiles, it will take about 1hour to setup up just the home screen. And so far I had to do it thrice.

Since I have to wait for another year for an upgrade, I will give it another shot if it's worth going through all these. Despite all these, I really love the interface, which is why I moved from iPhone (boring interface). Live tiles are fun. Nokia hardware is awesome, one of a kind. I hope things get better with time, and I would love to stick with Windows Phone & Nokia. I still remember my first 3 phones, from Nokia. I am Windows guy. And love the way Microsoft is shaping up. It is just too slow. Or may be since I moved from a different & stable platform, I am comparing too much.

Am I the only one going through this?

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
No. I've had several problems with each Nokia Windows Phone I've had. I love the support and design of Nokia, just not a fan of all the problems they're phones have given me. Had two brick from resets. Camera problems with another and my current 920 is giving me problems with the back capacitive key.

I've never had a single, solitary problem with my HTC Windows Phones, so it leads me to believe it is indeed a problem with Nokia. Due to these problems, if HTC has a comparable WP, I'll get one of those next. If not, I'll bite the bullet and get an iPhone.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nope, you are not the only one. I was really gung-ho about my 920 and then waited, waited, waited some more...until I couldn't do it anymore. I came from a 4S before. Same bugs, same features that SHOULD be there but are not, same out of focus pictures, with the latest update came the bricking that I never had before so now I'm not sure if I can even sell it without a lawsuit from someone who buys it from me. I bought it off contract and I would really love to get that money back. It has been sitting on it's wireless charger for two months now since I've gotten my Z10 and I always check for updates but nothing ever comes to fix the problems that Microsoft has had since launch. In my opinion, the platform shows incredible potential but Microsoft has dropped the ball time and time again. If you love the platform, I would say stick it out. WP8 is incredibly unique but I wouldn't hold out much hope that Microsoft is ever going to give two ****s about it's own platform. They've shown me and others that they simply don't care.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
luckily for me not really any problems and i love the phone and honestly i do think its better than iphone and if apple just keeps doing the same thing over and over then i will definitely stick with windows phone ( i don't want to go to android because i've heard way to many things about it and plus my cousin bricked his nexus once and his galaxy s3 once)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to love my 920....don't get me wrong, I like it. It's a nippy phone and has some decent features but not enough for me to love it as the issues (of which there are quite a few) are standing in the way. There are some good things though. The lenses apps are brilliant and most other apps and games I have tried have been good.

I've listed my 808 on eBay and I'm beginning to regret it. Symbian doesn't get any love from developers and has a very limited future but the 808 worked and it worked very well plus the camera was outstanding.

There's no turning back though so I'm just gonna have to hope that MS/Nokia get things right with future updates.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
luckily for me not really any problems and i love the phone and honestly i do think its better than iphone and if apple just keeps doing the same thing over and over then i will definitely stick with windows phone ( i don't want to go to android because i've heard way to many things about it and plus my cousin bricked his nexus once and his galaxy s3 once)

You're very lucky that your phone has not bricked. It is not pleasant but no phone is without it's issues. EVERY phone has issues out the gate. What matters is how the company goes about correcting them after.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Never have had any major issues with my 920 no problms with updates an occassional issue with downloads on updates in the last week or so but quickly resolved. I have been very happy witrh the 900 and now 920.

somubtech

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Good to know I'm not the only one, but not good for MS/Nokia. Yes, the platform is unique, colorful and exciting. I surely dont want to go back to iPhone unless things change drastically, which I dont think would happen. A big no to Android as well. So far the problems I have faced were all fixed with software, so I believe, hardware is good, it must be software bugs.

Regarding bricking, it happened with my iPhone, but I was able to force another reset and it came up nicely. If not, hooking it up with iTunes, it is very easy to restore. In worst case, a visit to apple store can solve the issue. But with windowsphone, there is no way to fix it other than flashing it, which is not official from Nokia or MS. And installing Nokia Suite was pain in the ***. The installation gave me some package missing error, and I tried everything but could never install on my PC. I wish things could stabilize very soon.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I really had was battery drain the first week I had it. I did a reset and it was good to go after that. Since then its been smooth sailing.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Same here. First week I had my phone I had a weird battery drain like something was sticking. Reset the phone and battery life is awesome. I have had no problems with the phone and I'm actually surprise with how stable and smooth it is. The pictures that it takes are friggin phenomenal. I take pics just to take pics.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
It sucks that Nokia doesn't issue some sort of temporary phone while you send your old one in for repair or to be looked at. If you are in the states, I would consider going to an AT&T repair center. They honor manufacturer's warranty, and will replace the device for you. You should not be having that many issues with the phone. I got mine replaced, and the battery life difference has been night and day.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Poltergeist? Seriously, sorry to hear you got a bad device. I suppose it happens with all handset makers. It happened to my first 920. After the Portico update, I lost the accelerometer. Had to send it back to Nokia who graciously replaced it. But for me, I'm a long way away from the tip point.

But for you, I understand the frustration of having a device that is basically a cripple. Nokia does build a good phone and if you haven't tried, contact Nokia directly. They will send a replacement for a faulty device. If at all possible, steer clear of the mobile phone swap meet. That insurance nonsense will grab your phone, reset it and send it to someone else. Someone else's rebooted phone is sent to you and you get their problems and they get yours. If you gotta go however, then go. Life is too short to stress about a phone but be warned, you'll miss the hell out of Windows Phone.

Last edited:

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
sorry to hear that, before I bought my device I read all these horror stories on the forum but still decided to buy one. I don't have most of the problem, solved battery draining by uninstalling some apps and never had any problems since then (haven't had any freezing, random resetting etc.)

mjrshred

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Just had the same problem with phone bricking after a reset. I don't know if it's a windows thing or nokia thing. It's a while until i'm due for an upgrade so im not too concerned about picking my next phone yet, but i'd be foolish not to consider other options if this issue is ongoing. I love the phone and OS but my fiance has never had a problem with any of the 3 iphones she's ordered.

adrian dobrinas

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Two weeks lumia 920 owner. No problems so far. I can not say that i am very happy with wp8. I was previously a nokia c7 owner. Very happy with it. Much more friendly user. I just hope that wp8 will improve otherwise...

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Same here. First week I had my phone I had a weird battery drain like something was sticking. Reset the phone and battery life is awesome. I have had no problems with the phone and I'm actually surprise with how stable and smooth it is. The pictures that it takes are friggin phenomenal. I take pics just to take pics.

Any chance you can share some of the photos you have taken please?

So photos I have taken have been ok but nowhere near to be describing them as phenomenal....although my previous phone was an 808 so nothing comes close to that quality in terms of a mobile phone.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Any chance you can share some of the photos you have taken please?

So photos I have taken have been ok but nowhere near to be describing them as phenomenal....although my previous phone was an 808 so nothing comes close to that quality in terms of a mobile phone.
I definitely can say hands down I have had "phenomenal" photography experience on my Lumia 920! If you are on Photoplay feel free to browse through - They are some of my favourite pics from my Lumia!
Also browse the thread that is stickied in Lumia 920 forums : Photos and Videos from your Lumia - really good photos there too!

Last edited:

tylerjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am on my fourth Lumia 920. If it wasn't for the amazing support and service of the Microsoft Store, I would have jumped ship.

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I was having strange issues with my Build 920. Connecting to certain Bluetooth devices would reset the phone. Sometimes while using MetroRadio or regular Pandora it would lock up, the screen would go dark, and I would have to try pressing the power or windows key to get it to wake up again. Battery life has been a concern for me from day one. It's absolutely unpredictable. Some days if I leave Wifi on and there are no hotspots, my battery is fine while other days its will have 40% left after light browsing for less than an hour during the day. It also gets pretty hot which makes me wary of playing any heavy 3D games.

None of this has pushed me to a tipping point as I am very patient with my beloved WP. I never had issues like this on my Radar or HD7, so I can only assume Nokia is to blame. In this rush to put out the next latest and greatest I feel that their workmanship has faltered slightly which all the well built shipments going to reviewers so they don't have any of these negative experiences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12