Trading my iPhone for a 920; Anything to Watch out For in the 920?

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm sick of iOs and am trading my iPhone 4s for a 920 tomorrow. The guy I'm trading with seems reputable but the deal was hatched on craigslist so I want to make sure I know what to look for(if anything) when we swap tomorrow. Are there any common lemon type issues I should look for before finalizing the deal or accidental user misuse type stuff? Any easy way of telling it has water damage or any other possible issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow(hopefully)!

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sick of iOs and am trading my iPhone 4s for a 920 tomorrow. The guy I'm trading with seems reputable but the deal was hatched on craigslist so I want to make sure I know what to look for(if anything) when we swap tomorrow. Are there any common lemon type issues I should look for before finalizing the deal or accidental user misuse type stuff? Any easy way of telling it has water damage or any other possible issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow(hopefully)!

Hi Ertonimus,

The only thing I've heard of is light leakage between the screen and the body of the phone. This can be found on the bottom left-hand side, level with the back button.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I just wouldn't trust a phone from Craigslist.

But there are just a few issues, like the dust under FFC.

I also wouldn't normally trust a Craigslist phone but I've talked to the guy a few times and it sounds like he's older and is a bit overwhelmed by how different WP8 is from his old phone.

Is the dust something you can see just by looking at it?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You are definately getting the better deal. I would say a Iphone 5 and a L920 is an even swap. (while gritting my teeth:)

Light leakage as in a little bit of water leakage? Or as in light(illumination) where it shouldnt be?
Illumination from the capacitive buttons. Means the screen is not sealed properly to the body. Hard to see unless you are in a dark space. Could mean screen was replaced and not sealed properly.

After making sure all the buttons work, I would test OIS by taking a quick video just to ensure the camera wasnt damaged in a drop.

Congrats

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
You are definately getting the better deal. I would say a Iphone 5 and a L920 is an even swap. (while gritting my teeth:)

Illumination from the capacitive buttons. Means the screen is not sealed properly to the body. Hard to see unless you are in a dark space. Could mean screen was replaced and not sealed properly.

After making sure all the buttons work, I would test OIS by taking a quick video just to ensure the camera wasnt damaged in a drop.

Congrats

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that! In regards to the better deal, I'm trading the 64gb that I had AT&T unlock so according to Ebay the other guy is getting the better deal... I could sell my phone for 400-500 and buy a 920 for 200-300 on Ebay. I really don't care though, I'm so bored of Apple and have wanted a 920 for awhile now and this is the easiest way for me to get one and not worry about having my ebay rating go down if someone says there's something wrong with my 1.5 year old phone.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I've compiled a list of "common" issues that 920 owners have experienced (including me)

1. Abnormal battery drain: If you don't have any background tasks running, and you're battery is draining at 1-2% per hour on idle, it's a bad phone. My previous phone would drain about 3% per hour with only "weather" running. My replacement is at 68% after 35 hours...and that's with usage.

2. Loose Unibody Design: If you press down on the top or bottom, that part will press in and create a "pop" sound.

3. Questionable Vibration: This is hard to judge, because you need another Lumia. I recently got a replacement, and the rattle inside is definitely loose and does not sound no where near as good as my old one. I even did tests by holding them both in my hand, and having an email sent. Definitely different vibration sounds. On the latest update, it's supposed to sound more "tame" and "normal" like any other phone. It won't do anything to performance, but if you're a bit OCD about these things...well...yeah.

4. Illumination: People have already mentioned that from previous posts. Just check on the bottom end.

5. Dust on front lens: You can probably see it or test it out.

6. Loose battery: If you move the phone side to side, you may hear a small "thud" on the bottom end of the phone. Common problem with plenty of phones. Does not do anything to performance though. Hopefully he has a battery app installed so you can see a chart of how it discharges throughout the day.

That should be it. A lot of stuff to look out for. The battery will probably be the hardest thing to test unfortunately.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that list! I'll check for all those things. I'm going to bringing it to Tmobile on May 9th(when I can get it unlocked) anyone know how firmware updates will work when its not on its native carrier?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
scratches on the camera plate on the back. screen scratches obviously. check the corners see if anything's chipped. check the microUSB port see if it's warped. inspect the ear piece closely to see if there's dust. check front facing camera for dust (this can be easily cleared by using compressed air)
overall the phone is built like a tank so don't worry too much

firmware updates are pushed automatically over-the-air (OTA). the phone will notify you when there's an update. you can also check yourself by going into settings.
the lastest firmware should be 1314

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Light leakage as in a little bit of water leakage? Or as in light(illumination) where it shouldnt be?

illumination where it shouldn't be. It can be seen when the back button is illuminated. It can't hardly be seen in daylight. Therefore, you will have to cover the phone with your hands, while the back button etc are illuminated.

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my lumia and shattered the screen, went on craigslist and bought a new red one for 300 and have had no problems. I actually turned into a craigslist junkie lol. Got my Surface RT on there too which im using right now. Don't be afraid of the site, just be educated on what you're buying :)

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Its a great phone. My biggest misgiving is battery drain... ya, I've gone true all the tips and tricks, off this and that, but the mystery drainage continues.
Its probably down to the phone constant search for signal for apps that runs in the background. On my 920, the culprit is WhatsApp.

Beemoe2

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i too came from Iphone. Been there since iphone2. Two biggest was adding contacts which was pain in the ****. And so far the battery issue has been strange say the least. But since i have Surface RT and Win8 on my laptop it's been very good. Been missing some apps so far, but screen is great bright and more size.

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just check it re: what was suggested above. Dont worry about it being on craglist. I've bought/sold on craigslist and its not as sketchy as it may first seem

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Check the phone out thoroughly, and u won't have any trouble. Be sure to check everything out. Play with it, around 30 mins, if the battery doesn't go down more than 5% it is supers, up to 8% it is OK, more than 8% loss in 30 mins and I would avoid that transaction.
This is for a phone that has been reseted, and has nothing on it. Some apps may give u a higher battery consumption.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Any time I've bought a phone on craigslist, I go through a little checklist. I check out all the ports and make sure there's no corrosion present and that the phone doesn't look modified in any way. I test the microphone with a test call and make sure the other end can hear me okay. During that call I of course make sure that I can hear them okay, test the volume out and make sure the buttons function as expected. I play some music through the speaker and make sure audio works correctly and there's no abnormal distortion (I've gone to buy phones and the speaker was blown, for instance). I open the calculator app and make sure that all areas of the display are touch sensitive. I open maps and make sure the compass is working. I test the accelerometer (auto rotate), bluetooth (just make sure it can see other devices) and WiFi (I usually meet at a starbucks or similar location and make sure it can connect to the network). If everything checks out then you should be good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss