Lumia 920 to a Nokia N8 to 808 PureView

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 to a Nokia N8

at least you can wait for the Nokia EOS :)

I'm waiting, but I won't hold my breath. I've been spoiled by Symbian, and it's only been a few days.

Do you think EOS will have:

Stereo HAAC microphones
FM Radio
FM Transmitter
Various USB modes (mass storage, usb on the go, modem)
High MP camera sensor for lossless zoom
AMOLED or Super AMOLED
Car Mode
VOIP built-in client
VPN

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm waiting, but I won't hold my breath. I've been spoiled by Symbian, and it's only been a few days.

Do you think EOS will have:

Stereo HAAC microphones
FM Radio
FM Transmitter
Various USB modes (mass storage, usb on the go, modem)
High MP camera sensor for lossless zoom
AMOLED or Super AMOLED
Car Mode
VOIP built-in client
VPN

All the WP8 Lumias (except 520) have the same microphone as the 808. However, they don't support stereo recording yet.
Okay, what I'm sure of is that Nokia will bring the FM Radio back to WP8. However, I don't think there will be an FM transmitter.
The USB modes, car mode and VPN are stuff you won't see on WP.
As for the lossless zoom thing, what do you expect? This will be (according to rumors) included. Duh.
AMOLED is something we're on the fence on. Should the 928 have an AMOLED screen, there will be no doubt that the EOS will have one.
A built-in VOIP client is something we're waiting for. (SKYPE)

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

All the WP8 Lumias (except 520) have the same microphone as the 808. However, they don't support stereo recording yet.
Okay, what I'm sure of is that Nokia will bring the FM Radio back to WP8. However, I don't think there will be an FM transmitter.
The USB modes, car mode and VPN are stuff you won't see on WP.
As for the lossless zoom thing, what do you expect? This will be (according to rumors) included. Duh.
AMOLED is something we're on the fence on. Should the 928 have an AMOLED screen, there will be no doubt that the EOS will have one.
A built-in VOIP client is something we're waiting for. (SKYPE)

I think if Nokia continues their tradition of differentiating their products from the rest I would be OK. There is a trend of removing features that were once there.

The USB modes and VOIP (not Skype) are features I think are very doable for WP. I mean, why not? The closed architecture of an iOS is certainly not one I think Microsoft wants to follow.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I think if Nokia continues their tradition of differentiating their products from the rest I would be OK. There is a trend of removing features that were once there.

The USB modes and VOIP (not Skype) are features I think are very doable for WP. I mean, why not? The closed architecture of an iOS is certainly not one I think Microsoft wants to follow.
Uh, the USB modes are a Symbian tradition.
That's why I'm not leaning on that.

If you really wanted to pull off all USB modes on WP, you'd have to:
1. Make Nokia Suite work with WP (or a suitable replacement)
2. Allow USB Tethering
3. Make the OS compatible with USB devices
4. Add a file system (mass storage)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Looking back at this thread, I'm actually laughing at Nokia converting their Symbian users to WP.

The OP (and a lot of others) did the exact opposite.
Of course, it has something to do with that massive camera on the 808.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the N8 for about two years, and the 808 for a year... the 808 is the better phone by far.. in fact, its the best Symbian phone out there. If you want to experience the platform, that is the only device I would recommend doing that with.

Also.. I suggest visiting All About Symbian - news, reviews and software for Symbian and S60 phones .. they have current information, tips, and pretty much everything you need to know regarding Symbian.

Personally, I will probably use my 808 as my main phone for another year, or until EOS 2 comes out.. and even then, I will still keep it. Its not just another smartphone.. it was way ahead of its time a year ago, a technological marvel is what I call it :)

As far as support, the 808 had bunch of updates in past year.. 3rd party and from Nokia, so the platform is not "dead" .. its kind of in "zombie" mode

Steve wrote a good article on it:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/17380_One_year_on_and_the_ultimate_S.php

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Uh, the USB modes are a Symbian tradition.
That's why I'm not leaning on that.

If you really wanted to pull off all USB modes on WP, you'd have to:
1. Make Nokia Suite work with WP (or a suitable replacement)
2. Allow USB Tethering
3. Make the OS compatible with USB devices
4. Add a file system (mass storage)

It's a Symbian tradition for Nokia phones, but Android phones can do this as well (with custom firmware of course).

All those things you numbered are doable from a Microsoft software perspective.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking back at this thread, I'm actually laughing at Nokia converting their Symbian users to WP.

The OP (and a lot of others) did the exact opposite.
Of course, it has something to do with that massive camera on the 808.

It is ironic isn't it? Going backwards. I admit, I was curious about Nokia's heritage. The internal corporate structure must have been a complete mess. It might still be that way but just less of it. From what I can see there was no reason to dump Symbian off such a steep slope. Especially when they are pushing out low cost Ashas with the S60 mobile OS. The good news is Symbian will still be supported in some fashion until 2016.

I had the N8 for about two years, and the 808 for a year... the 808 is the better phone by far.. in fact, its the best Symbian phone out there. If you want to experience the platform, that is the only device I would recommend doing that with.

Also.. I suggest visiting All About Symbian - news, reviews and software for Symbian and S60 phones .. they have current information, tips, and pretty much everything you need to know regarding Symbian.

Personally, I will probably use my 808 as my main phone for another year, or until EOS 2 comes out.. and even then, I will still keep it. Its not just another smartphone.. it was way ahead of its time a year ago, a technological marvel is what I call it :)

I agree!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

All those things you numbered are doable from a Microsoft software perspective.

Ya.. the NT kernel is very powerful, as we all know from out desktops, and its pretty much up to Microsoft and the available hardware for them to unlock it's full potential.

For example, NT can multitask as well as Symbian, but it needs more powerful hardware to achieve that. I think as soon as we get to 4GB ram and 3000+ mah batteries (or equivalent tech) MS should be able to unlock the multitasking. Also, don't forget that Windows Phone 8 is technically 1.0 .. or .. if you go by the kernel number.. 6.2 but I think they are different enough to where it doesn't correspond directly, so.. MS will be working on further optimization of the kernel anyway.

I believe that there can be an equilibrium between software and hardware.. in other words, hardware than can allow for the software to fully shine. I think we are just now hitting that mark in the Android realm, and they are at 4.0 / quad core 2gb ram.. I am pretty sure that iOS hit that mark with the iPhone 4s / iOS5.. dual core/1gb ram

Windows CE is at 7.5 I believe, and its very good.. it runs very well on single core/512 ram, much better than Android, and probably a bit better than iOS.

Windows NT (mobile), which is what we have in WP8, is surprisingly very, very good.. considering that its a desktop kernel that wasn't meant to run on cell phones. If someone told me that we will see NT run on mobile phones couple of years ago, I would've laughed at them. So.. just give it time.. I would say once they get to 3.0 - 3.5 we will have a pretty solid platform on our hands. At that time, the hardware will be much stronger as well..

.. the balance for WP8 might be a potent dual core/3-4gb RAM/3000 mah battery

Symbian is at version 10.5.. which technically makes it the most mature smartphone OS out there, and if you actually use one, you will see why, but still.. it never got that "equilibrium" point because Nokia mismanaged the whole project.. they would always under power their phones to the point where the software engineers were pretty much helpless.. ehm..the N97 fiasco. And bunch of other crap along in terms of where sym was going.

Even the 808 runs on a CPU architecture from .. 2002 .. lol .. so overall if you look at the history, the emphasis for Nokia was to optimize the OS to run on cheap hardware, and focus on convergence, rather than on the actual software user experience.. and by time they realized that people actually cared about the UI.. Apple stole the show.

.. the balance for Symbian would've been some dual core with faster 1gig of ram and a potent GPU. That would've solved their web browser issues for sure.

Still.. running 40 applications in real time on slow 512 ram and an ARM11 cpu.. good stuff

The internal corporate structure must have been a complete mess.

Indeed a mess.. here is some informative reading on the subject:

http://taskumuro.com/artikkelit/the-story-of-nokia-meego

and this one regarding their relationship with Microsoft over the years...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/11/nokia_microsoft_history/

Last edited:

ZiiimZooon

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey! I'm thinking of buying a Nokia 808 PureView as my second phone and I have one question..

How is the audio (speaker and headphone) compared to Nokia Lumia 920? :)

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey! I'm thinking of buying a Nokia 808 PureView as my second phone and I have one question..

I'm going to try to answer while laughing out loud. The speaker is a joke in comparison. The 808's speaker is pretty freakin loud and clear. The 920, not so much. It's a toy speaker in comparison.

The headphone jack on the 920 is actually pretty good. I hooked it up directly to my external headphone DAC/AMP and the sound quality does not distort or degrade at full volume. So, someone did a good job there building the 920.

The 808's headphone jack? Excellent. It gets really loud, and the quality is great. Better than the 920.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Less than a day left on my 808 eBay auction....

Starting to have second thoughts!!!!!

That thing is an instant classic... its a keeper, if possible. If you are board.. load up a CFW on it, or.. get a different color back cover, it looks cool:

uffHwL6.jpg

Not sure on the loud speaker, but the 808 is very similar to the iPhone 5.

In terms of audio quality, its much better. In fact.. there are very few phones with better output.. the 4s and the new GS4.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_920-review-858p6.php
Test
Frequency response
Noise level
Dynamic range
THD
IMD + Noise
Stereo crosstalk
Nokia Lumia 920
+0.13, -0.12
Nokia Lumia 920 (headphones attached)
+0.53, -0.03

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_808_pureview-review-776p5.php
Test
Frequency response
Noise level
Dynamic range
THD
IMD + Noise
Stereo crosstalk
Nokia 808 PureView
+0.09, -0.53
Nokia 808 PureView (headphones attached)
+0.09, -0.53

Source: GSMarena
On what those numbers mean: GSMArena feature labs: The tests - GSMArena.com

Just look at the DR..

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
That thing is an instant classic... its a keeper, if possible. If you are board.. load up a CFW on it, or.. get a different color back cover, it looks cool:

http://i.imgur.com/uffHwL6.jpg

vlad0, I spent years making CFWs for Symbian on Dailymobile and other sites. It's not a question of being bored, but more about moving on but I'm gonna miss it. Symbian does so much more than WP and the 808 was/is the best Symbian phone ever so I'm gonna miss it. There's still a chance it won't sell as it has to reach its reserve first but it's not far out.

If it sells, I'll probably buy another at some point...I miss it already and it hasn't gone! ;)

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Test
Frequency response
Noise level
Dynamic range
THD
IMD + Noise
Stereo crosstalk
Nokia Lumia 920
+0.13, -0.12
Nokia Lumia 920 (headphones attached)
+0.53, -0.03

Nokia 808 PureView review: Photo Finnish - GSMArena.com
Test
Frequency response
Noise level
Dynamic range
THD
IMD + Noise
Stereo crosstalk
Nokia 808 PureView
+0.09, -0.53
Nokia 808 PureView (headphones attached)
+0.09, -0.53

Source: GSMarena
On what those numbers mean: GSMArena feature labs: The tests - GSMArena.com

Just look at the DR..

That chart pretty much confirms what my ears hear of the 920 vs the 808. The thing is, the 920 is no slouch with connected headphones. But if you have both of them side by side playing the same music file, there is a world of a difference between the two.

ZiiimZooon

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for the answers! It cleared op my decision of buying a Nokia 808 PureView and now I'm sure that I want one! I like the audio on NL920 both the speaker and through headphones and if the Nokia 808 PureView is even better, that's just amazing!! ;)

Thanks again! :)

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I had an 808 for 6 months. Correction, I had three. I absolutely loved it and the camera is jaw dropping, the video capacity is even more amazing than the pictures.

The problem, I had was that with all three as soon as I got the third party apps I wanted on it slowed down, became glitchy and eventually unusable. I had the N8 before it which I also loved but after three 808's I just lost patience with it and accepted Nokia's offer of a 920.
I miss the amazing camera and Here Drive doesn't have live traffic update which the 808 does (this is pretty unforgivable in my eyes) but all in all as a day to day phone the 920 wins because it works!

Will pick up an 808 at some point again to use as a camera phone on days out, it really is a brilliant piece of kit but not an everyday phone in my opinion/experience

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ no such problems on mine... the only real issue has been this: Bug in 808 3g mobile data? - Nokia Support Discussions

But after they rolled out this last week: Belle FP2 devices get a 3G network fix, the 808's 3.5G woes banished

Its much better.

vlad0, I spent years making CFWs for Symbian on Dailymobile and other sites. It's not a question of being bored, but more about moving on but I'm gonna miss it. Symbian does so much more than WP and the 808 was/is the best Symbian phone ever so I'm gonna miss it. There's still a chance it won't sell as it has to reach its reserve first but it's not far out.

If it sells, I'll probably buy another at some point...I miss it already and it hasn't gone! ;)

Well, in that case you know exactly what Symbian is :)

and..thanks for you work! I've used numerous CFWs from there for my N8, and my 808...

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

huh, why not keep 808 and buy some Android tablet as those are very cheap nowadays(Nexus is first that comes to mind)? Also browsing gaming and "apping" is a lot more comfortable on a 7/10" screen than on a 4-4.5" phone...if I really needed serious mobile browsing I would do that, Nexus for example would easily fit in a smaller waistbag together with 808...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster