After latest update (1308 Rogers) no LTE, Access Point useless

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So I reluctantly decided to update my Rogers L920 to the 1308 update (same as ATT 1314)
I'm not on Rogers, rather Virgin Canada

I've always used the Access Point to have my phone fully functional (correct APN settings, Internet Sharing/MMS).
However, after the update (and subsequent update to the Access Point app), I cannot activate my 'Virgin' access point

I select it, it read "active" in blue, but it doesn't stick. If I come back in they are all 'inactive'
In the past, I would see it 'activating' with a progress indicator. Now, nothing.

Strange thing is, not being active, Internet Sharing and MMS appear to work.
However, no LTE.

This is highly frustrating.
Any solutions? I've tried all the resets, etc... to no avail.
Did the new update block my ability control Access Point?

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
So I reluctantly decided to update my Rogers L920 to the 1308 update (same as ATT 1314)

1308 update is not the same as the 1314 update. It is the same 1308 update ATT got with the same issues. Then, they got the 1314 update to fix the 1308 update. So, you're gonna have to wait for the 1314 to fix your 1308 problems ...

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
1308 update is not the same as the 1314 update. It is the same 1308 update ATT got with the same issues. Then, they got the 1314 update to fix the 1308 update. So, you're gonna have to wait for the 1314 to fix your 1308 problems ...

That's incorrect.
According to Daniel:
1314 is specifically a fix for those on 1308. Presumably, Nokia fixed the 1308 firmware on their server for the low-power Qualcomm chip issue, so everyone who is now getting 1308 is a-ok. But if you're already on 1308, Nokia can't re-deploy it, so they have to create a new firmware, hence 1304.

In other words, there's no difference between (new) 1308 and 1314.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I've always used the Access Point to have my phone fully functional (correct APN settings, Internet Sharing/MMS).
However, after the update (and subsequent update to the Access Point app), I cannot activate my 'Virgin' access point

I select it, it read "active" in blue, but it doesn't stick. If I come back in they are all 'inactive'
In the past, I would see it 'activating' with a progress indicator. Now, nothing.

Strange thing is, not being active, Internet Sharing and MMS appear to work.
However, no LTE.

This is highly frustrating.
Any solutions? I've tried all the resets, etc... to no avail.
Did the new update block my ability control Access Point?

Took about a day, but LTE has been restored.
I don't know why it would take so long to 'initialize', but hopefully it is all cleared up now.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
That's incorrect.
According to Daniel:
1314 is specifically a fix for those on 1308. Presumably, Nokia fixed the 1308 firmware on their server for the low-power Qualcomm chip issue, so everyone who is now getting 1308 is a-ok. But if you're already on 1308, Nokia can't re-deploy it, so they have to create a new firmware, hence 1304.

Ok. But if you read this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...y-rogers-lumia-920-users-got-1308-update.html

You'll see that everyone is having the same problems as AT&T customers are having. So my guess is they rolled and are still rolling out the same 1308 firmware and will be rolling out the 1314 fix at a later date like they did for AT&T

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok. But if you read this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...y-rogers-lumia-920-users-got-1308-update.html

You'll see that everyone is having the same problems as AT&T customers are having. So my guess is they rolled and are still rolling out the same 1308 firmware and will be rolling out the 1314 fix at a later date like they did for AT&T

I think Daniel's voice carries more weight than forum posters (me included, I was taking part in that).
If they say the 1308 (new) is the SAME as the ATT 1314, then I take that with higher stock.

Now, that would just mean there still appears to be issues with the 1314 also. Not that the whole world is being duped into getting a FW version that Nokia pulled because they knew there were issues! It doesn't make any sense that Nokia would pull 1308 for ATT and not the rest of the world. For anyone who had the 1308, a new version number was required (hence 1314). In countries/regions where 1308 was yet to be released, the changes were addressed and repackaged prior to its release.

That's why people are unable to OTA to the (new) 1308 if they manually updated to the (old) 1308.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 with Rogers. I updated to 1308 and I have the exact same connectivity issues as att customers had.
I was hesitant to update but when I read Daniel say that this update wouldn't carry the same issues as it did for att so I went ahead with the update on good faith.
...and yet here I am with the same issues att users had with 1308.....and you are saying what? That me and several others experiences don't hold any weight? My phone having connectivity issues isn't an opinion, its a fact.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 with Rogers. I updated to 1308 and I have the exact same connectivity issues as att customers had.
I was hesitant to update but when I read Daniel say that this update wouldn't carry the same issues as it did for att so I went ahead with the update on good faith.
...and yet here I am with the same issues att users had with 1308.....and you are saying what? That me and several others experiences don't hold any weight? My phone having connectivity issues isn't an opinion, its a fact.

You're NOT paying attention.
The Rogers 1308 clearly is the ATT 1314
We have confirmation from Daniel.

However, people are still experiencing some issues with the 1314 as well
Even the 1314 has not totally resolved the issue.

But the Rogers 1308 has been repackaged to the same as ATT 1314 (that's a necessity for any early releases of the (old) 1308, since you cannot have the same version number).

So, the fact that people are experiencing issues doesn't mean it isn't 1314, just that for some, the issue has not been resolved even with 1314

I for one experienced some issues when I first updated (as you can see above), but after a couple days, I am all good to go. Working perfectly now

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

But the Rogers 1308 has been repackaged to the same as ATT 1314 (that's a necessity for any early releases of the (old) 1308, since you cannot have the same version number).

So, the fact that people are experiencing issues doesn't mean it isn't 1314, just that for some, the issue has not been resolved even with 1314

I for one experienced some issues when I first updated (as you can see above), but after a couple days, I am all good to go. Working perfectly now

I can't stand the fact that you're spreading misinformation. You need to get your facts straight my friend.

Daniel never confirmed anything. To quote Daniel again, he said in his article, "Presumably, Nokia fixed the 1308 firmware on their server for the low-power Qualcomm chip issue.."

Fact is, many people are experiencing the AT&T symptoms which can very likely mean that the 1308 firmware Rogers deployed was the same as AT&T's version of the 1308.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

Rogers 1308 firmware update for the Nokia Lumia 920 is now live | Windows Phone Central

To me it didn't look like an outright confirmation, he was just presuming that that's what happened, some users even challenged his point of view, sadly there was no response. I think if he actually had confirmation from Nokia he would specifically state that instead of saying "presumably"

and BTW from my numerous conversations with Rogers and Nokia tech support all I've got so far is that its a known issue by both Rogers and Nokia, when I tell them they need to release 1314 they don't tell me that 1308=1314 so there is nothing to release, they just say they don't have an update at this time. One guy specifically talked to be about both 1308 and 1314 and he did not say 1308=1314.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Spreading misinformation? LOL
OK. I quoted Daniel's comment from that article, can be seen a few comments down. If you scroll up you'll see it here too, but to save you the trouble, here it is again:

bold mine

Perhaps you both can get your "facts straight"

Nokia went so far as to REMOVE the original (or OLD 1308) because it had that connection issue. They would not GO AHEAD AND RE-RELEASE the same problematic version for everyone else!

Sheesh.

It's obvious the 1314 (and "new" 1308) did not resolve the issue for all) - because there are numerous people that experience no issue at all.
There may be an issue STILL with 1314, but you can please put this one to bed.

I can't stand the fact that you're spreading misinformation. You need to get your facts straight my friend.

Daniel never confirmed anything. To quote Daniel again, he said in his article, "Presumably, Nokia fixed the 1308 firmware on their server for the low-power Qualcomm chip issue.."

Fact is, many people are experiencing the AT&T symptoms which can very likely mean that the 1308 firmware Rogers deployed was the same as AT&T's version of the 1308.

Rogers 1308 firmware update for the Nokia Lumia 920 is now live | Windows Phone Central

To me it didn't look like an outright confirmation, he was just presuming that that's what happened, some users even challenged his point of view, sadly there was no response. I think if he actually had confirmation from Nokia he would specifically state that instead of saying "presumably"

and BTW from my numerous conversations with Rogers and Nokia tech support all I've got so far is that its a known issue by both Rogers and Nokia, when I tell them they need to release 1314 they don't tell me that 1308=1314 so there is nothing to release, they just say they don't have an update at this time. One guy specifically talked to be about both 1308 and 1314 and he did not say 1308=1314.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a tangent to the main thread here, but to me the point of having version numbers is to keep things unique. Saying AT&T 1304 = (Rogers) 1308 is utterly confusing and leads to this kind of confusion that's going on.

A couple things here that we know: 1308 on AT&T had problems. 1314 was released specifically for AT&T. 1308 was released globally with no formal acknowledgement that it contains the fixed from 1314 - atleast none that I can find.. Nokia did not release 1314 globally which to me would indicate that "the fix" was included. In my own email correspondence with Nokia support they never said 1308 for my BUILD is the same thing as 1314 -- and I specifically asked them about 1308 vs 1314.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is a tangent to the main thread here, but to me the point of having version numbers is to keep things unique. Saying AT&T 1304 = (Rogers) 1308 is utterly confusing and leads to this kind of confusion that's going on.

A couple things here that we know: 1308 on AT&T had problems. 1314 was released specifically for AT&T. 1308 was released globally with no formal acknowledgement that it contains the fixed from 1314 - atleast none that I can find.. Nokia did not release 1314 globally which to me would indicate that "the fix" was included. In my own email correspondence with Nokia support they never said 1308 for my BUILD is the same thing as 1314 -- and I specifically asked them about 1308 vs 1314.

I can appreciate that it is confusing.

Even rationally it would not make sense if the GLOBAL 1308 is different from the ATT 1314.

Recall that Nokia went so far as to PULL the ATT 1308 version because it was riddled with this issue.
Does it make rational sense that, knowing this, they would go ahead and release the affected version to the whole world, WITHOUT FIRST applying the same nominal change they did for ATT users.

If I remember correctly, the change log for ATT users, 1308 vs 1314 was identical.

It also makes more sense that 1314 = (new) 1308, but even this hasn't resolved the issue for all.
And I'm just relaying what Daniel has already communicated to us. I personally think his viewpoint on this carries more weight then all of us

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive, but I did not once say you don't have your facts straight or state what I have is a fact. I've simply stated my interpretation of Daniel's comment which was different from yours. I've also pointed you to the comments where people challenged his point of view by specifying firmware versions and actually testing the old and the new 1308, I guess you didn't read that far down. I've also pointed out what I've so far been told in conversations with tech support. If you don't like it or don't consider it fact that's fine by me.

The sheesh is specifically amusing since you're the one that's overreacted, at least when it comes to my comment.

Have a great day.

Spreading misinformation? LOL
OK. I quoted Daniel's comment from that article, can be seen a few comments down. If you scroll up you'll see it here too, but to save you the trouble, here it is again:

bold mine

Nokia went so far as to REMOVE the original (or OLD 1308) because it had that connection issue. They would not GO AHEAD AND RE-RELEASE the same problematic version for everyone else!

Sheesh.

It's obvious the 1314 (and "new" 1308) did not resolve the issue for all) - because there are numerous people that experience no issue at all.
There may be an issue STILL with 1314, but you can please put this one to bed.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive, but I did not once say you don't have your facts straight or state what I have is a fact. I've simply stated my interpretation of Daniel's comment which was different from yours. I've also pointed you to the comments where people challenged his point of view by specifying firmware versions and actually testing the old and the new 1308, I guess you didn't read that far down. I've also pointed out what I've so far been told in conversations with tech support. If you don't like it or don't consider it fact that's fine by me.

The sheesh is specifically amusing since you're the one that's overreacted, at least when it comes to my comment.

Have a great day.

I quoted 2 user comments, and my "sheesh" was more in response to the other.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I quoted 2 user comments, and my "sheesh" was more in response to the other.

In my opinion, you are interpreting Daniel's comment one way and some people are interpreting it the other way. The rest are just assumptions about what Nokia or Rogers did and didn't, both yours and mine. Personally I don't care if its old 1308, new 1308 or 1314, as long as the matter gets fixed. So far it is taking longer than with AT&T, which is unfortunate.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I agree. Granted I don't work for Nokia but as a computer engineer I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they made a newer 1308 be equal to 1314.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

In my opinion, you are interpreting Daniel's comment one way and some people are interpreting it the other way. The rest are just assumptions about what Nokia or Rogers did and didn't, both yours and mine. Personally I don't care if its old 1308, new 1308 or 1314, as long as the matter gets fixed. So far it is taking longer than with AT&T, which is unfortunate.

Well, there is not a problem of interpretation but understanding and facts
Daniel's comments can be read only one way - he is either right or wrong.
And I'm saying its more likely Daniel is right then some random online user (me included).
And business wise, it doesn't make sense for Nokia to release a version that was recently pulled because of issues without first addressing it.
That part just doesn't make any sense at all.
Dead horse beaten.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720