What to buy? 920 or Samsung Note?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. But I hate iPhones. I love the iPad. it's a part of my life. Absolutely superb gadget. But I have no use for iPhones. Never will.
Even though I already know how to use it - I hate it.

It's Android or Windows for me. And I don't like the trend I'm seeing with Windows on smart phones. Love the Lumia 920 though. Lovely phone.

Can you specify what you mean by "Trend"?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Look through the "For Sale" forum here. You can get a 920 in the $300s, just have to find one more locally most likely.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 all the way love my black Lumia 920 never will go back to boring android and it its device wp8 has so much more and looks so much sweeter!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is such a no brainer... Get a Lumia 920. It's the perfect smartphone. Why would you want a Galaxy Note when Android is a malware trap? Plus, it's ridiculously big and IMO, embarrassing to lug around unless you're a giant.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I love my 920 and I am keeping it until the next device that wows me. I have never had an iphone or an android although I have played with them Nothing has compelled me to decide to switch. I am thinking and hoping that Nokia will be soon releasing their own phablet device . I think there's a market for it.

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
i never use 920, but maybe i could share something.. i used a Galaxy Note 1 for a short period of time (not my main device)..

the pros: the SPen is very great, no lies!.. the weight is surprisingly light for a big device.. and how it looks on a book case thing.. makes it elegant (if in a book case)..

the cons: i feel that the size isn't right to be a primary phone.. too big for a phone, to small to be considered as a tablet.. the OS isn't that light and sometimes laggy (it was on ICS), and the build material, that plastic thing that samsung is currently using on their recent devices gives a cheap feeling on hand if not using a book cover or something..

i use androids before, it's a good OS, i won't lie.. but after comparing with my recent WP8 Device, spec like 1Ghz and 512mb RAM running WP8 is way lighter and smoother
you won't get the same smoothness on an android device with the same spec...

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Remember that this is a WP forum and some answers may be slightly biased :p

One thing I forgot to mention, if you do decide on an Android phone, please consider a Nexus 4. For $400 unlocked, it's an amazing phone if LTE is not a requirement. I've been using Nexus devices since Jan 2011 and have never had the various issues people profess to have on Android. Getting a Nexus 4 means you'll receive updates straight from Google. Though you may want to wait till Google's I/O event in May, they might announce a better phone there :)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

One thing I forgot to mention, if you do decide on an Android phone, please consider a Nexus 4. For $400 unlocked, it's an amazing phone if LTE is not a requirement. I've been using Nexus devices since Jan 2011 and have never had the various issues people profess to have on Android. Getting a Nexus 4 means you'll receive updates straight from Google. Though you may want to wait till Google's I/O event in May, they might announce a better phone there :)

Well, Nexus 4 camera is not that great one - it is a trade off ... Nexus 4 review: Camera | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

How do you find the battery on your Nexus device? The battery on my Nexus 7 is HORRID...i love the thing, as a tablet Android works great. However i cant get more than 4-5 hours of use (surfing, watching videos, reading flipboard) before the battery is dead. I did research and discovered the Media Server CPU battery consumption....dealt with that (killed all music player processes) but the battery is still lacking.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
How do you find the battery on your Nexus device? The battery on my Nexus 7 is HORRID...i love the thing, as a tablet Android works great. However i cant get more than 4-5 hours of use (surfing, watching videos, reading flipboard) before the battery is dead. I did research and discovered the Media Server CPU battery consumption....dealt with that (killed all music player processes) but the battery is still lacking.

I had the same opinions on my N7, I have a 16 GB wifi model. On the first long flight I took with it, I spent 3-4 hrs watching video (sitcom episodes in MP4 format in an AVI container, playing via VLC Beta) and maybe 2 hrs reading using the Kindle app. I found that I had ~35% battery left at the end of it. That led me to believe that it was the radio taking up most power, and now I leave the tablet in airplane mode most of the time. My usage is mostly watching local video and Kindle books, so it may not fit your usage patterns. I haven't faced this Media Server issue, but I have no music on the tablet.

Re my N4, after 14 hours outside the house with light usage: 15-20 mins GPS navigation, maybe 30 mins of voice calls, lots of time checking Facebook, reading email and occasional light gaming for maybe 60 mins, I still have 40% battery left. It's quite satisfactory, have never had a reason to complain,

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Notes are garbage. I had one for a day and as I would sit there and hold it I would think, "this looks ridiculous!". and I wouldn't dare bring one of those things to my ear to make a phone call. Might as well bring an iPad to your ear, you will look like a fool!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I had the same opinions on my N7, I have a 16 GB wifi model. On the first long flight I took with it, I spent 3-4 hrs watching video (sitcom episodes in MP4 format in an AVI container, playing via VLC Beta) and maybe 2 hrs reading using the Kindle app. I found that I had ~35% battery left at the end of it. That led me to believe that it was the radio taking up most power, and now I leave the tablet in airplane mode most of the time. My usage is mostly watching local video and Kindle books, so it may not fit your usage patterns. I haven't faced this Media Server issue, but I have no music on the tablet.

Re my N4, after 14 hours outside the house with light usage: 15-20 mins GPS navigation, maybe 30 mins of voice calls, lots of time checking Facebook, reading email and occasional light gaming for maybe 60 mins, I still have 40% battery left. It's quite satisfactory, have never had a reason to complain,

I have the 32GB WIFI model. Airplane mode eh? Standby time its incredible, it can go 12 days on standby without any issues...i find the major problem is when i actually use the device to surf or watch videos. I turn the brightness down less than 20% overall, shut off all unnecessary processes running and only turn WIFI on when i use it (wifi off when in standby). As for the MEdia Server, i researched and this culprit was killing my battery in standby....however it didnt help with battery life while in use. I dont have music on the tablet either, thats why i disabled all the processes (related to media server consumption).

Your N4 seems pretty solid, nice!! lasting longer than my L920 currently. Seems inline with what i was getting on my S3.

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had a 920 since launch. I love this device, by far the best phone I have ever had.

WP8 is not buggy in the slightest, in my opinion it is one of the most stable OSes out there. But when looking at phones, look at what the device is now, not what it could be with updates. Android devices must be looked at that way because most may never see an update.

The note 1 is a nice device, but it is older and does not sport a CPU to let you play high graphic games (in some cases). If you want a GIANT screen then the Note is perfect for you, just be ready to be teased with a phone that large is used to make calls. My roommate its teased by everyone when he makes a call.

The 920 is stable, fluid, and never lags. It may be a bit heavier than Samsung's phones but the trade off is worth it. If you are an Xbox user, Skydrive User, or Windows user than you will find more to love out of the WP8 platform. Keep in mind too, just because Microsoft will not be pushing security updates past 2014 (which is what they mean) does not mean Nokia cannot update your device!

Samsung has a more "hit-it and quit-it" attitude with their phones, if one flops then they will have a new one out in a month. Nokia builds device tailored to the user.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If apps are important for you get Note.
You will get no support after a few updates (if you are lucky) from Samsung.
Also remember you're posting this on a windows phone forum.

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have both phones and I must say I like them both. The 920 is an overall better phone (better camera, better screen, better build, stronger radios (wifi/cell), and far superior design. The Note is lighter and has the S Pen. The notes real trump card is the S PEN. The ability to write on a screen and transcribe notes is really next gen. But other than the Pen, the large screen is nice, but makes the phone cumbersome to use.

If I had to pick one, i'd go Lumia because the experience is just too sublime to be missed. If I were forced to go Android, then I would definitely go with the Note 2.

The Note 2 does make me salivate for a Nokia Phablet running Windows Phone 8...

AlanDS

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I am using Note 2 since last 4 months and got a Lumia 920 5 days ago. I would say that phone phones are good.
But when it comes in choosing one of those, I prefer Lumia. I feel that Lumia is much more smoother than Note 2 and display is awesome.
I have all the softwares for WP which I am using in Note 2. The only downside is lack of a good generic SIP client and bugs in Facebook App. I am not happy with the Music Player of WP as I cannot seek the track to required position while playing. I am sure, this will improve in coming days.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife recently got the Note 2 and it is an impressive phone. I enjoy using my 8X, but the Note has more and better apps and overall it can do more than my 8X. If the camera is really important and the 920 has the apps you need go for it, it's a good phone. For me I wish I would have gotten the Note instead of the 8X.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have only played with android and don't think its bad I just like WP's UI better and as I have said I am looking forward to the option of a Lumia phablet!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo