Debit card

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you will have to use your debit card as a credit card uf you have the mastercard/visa logo on it.

jhdutch95

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I think you will have to use your debit card as a credit card uf you have the mastercard/visa logo on it.

it wont work as credit card.debit only use your money in the account.credit is not.and of course you can use debit to pay for apps as long as its has visa logo.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You can yeah, as far as the Store is concerned there's no difference between credit and debit cards. If you see credit card it's probably just terminology.

All that matters is the card provider (e.g. Visa, Mastercard, etc.). If they accept your type of card, you're good to go.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
it wont work as credit card.debit only use your money in the account.credit is not.and of course you can use debit to pay for apps as long as its has visa logo.

Of course it would. I use my debit card as a credit card all the time. The only difference is that I have no additioinal fee deducted from my checking account when I say "credit" when I shop with it.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Grammar aside, you are correct in that credit and debit cards are different products.

However, that is irrelevant to merchants (of which Windows Store is one). The cards are handled in exactly the same way, the only difference being the fee involved. In the case of Microsoft, they don't pass on the fee so therefore there is absolutely no difference as far as the Windows Store is concerned.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Of course it would. I use my debit card as a credit card all the time. The only difference is that I have no additioinal fee deducted from my checking account when I say "credit" when I shop with it.

Wow, you have to pay your bank for card transactions!? Maybe that's why cashless payment has taken off so much quicker in the UK than anywhere else...

m4tthall

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Wow, you have to pay your bank for card transactions!? Maybe that's why cashless payment has taken off so much quicker in the UK than anywhere else...

This isn't by default. Some retailers absorb the Visa or MasterCard costs. Others explicitly state there will be an additional fee.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Grammar aside, you are correct in that credit and debit cards are different products.

However, that is irrelevant to merchants (of which Windows Store is one). The cards are handled in exactly the same way, the only difference being the fee involved. In the case of Microsoft, they don't pass on the fee so therefore there is absolutely no difference as far as the Windows Store is concerned.

Yeah, my bank is weird. I get charged $1 every time I use my debit card for debit transactions. Because of that, I was told by a friend at my bank to say "credit" whenever I use my card to make store purchases. Not all banks here in the States do that, though.

On another note, I don't know why the above comment was quoted instead of the one you directed to me. I tried to quote that one. Glitch, I guess.

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my bank is weird. I get charged $1 every time I use my debit card for debit transactions. Because of that, I was told by a friend at my bank to say "credit" whenever I use my card to make store purchases. Not all banks here in the States do that, though.

On another note, I don't know why the above comment was quoted instead of the one you directed to me. I tried to quote that one. Glitch, I guess.
My bank is the same thing. I was told that using debit instead of credit is about the same as taking money out of an atm from a different bank.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
That's your opinion. I'd rather rely on Astoria Federal than ripoff artists like Chase or CitiBank. My boyfriend uses Chase and got a "surprise" a couple of months back when he discovered his checking account was overdrawn because of some B.S. fees they were withdrawing without even informing him first.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site

Wow that's crazy we don't get charged for using debit cards in the UK, unless you use small retailers like corner shops.

However, we do get charged for using credit cards -- it doesn't make sense, I understand a charge for credit, but how can they charge you for using your own money?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My bank is the same thing. I was told that using debit instead of credit is about the same as taking money out of an atm from a different bank.
Your bank is charging you to use your own money? Time to get another bank.Even better, a credit union.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb