Lumia 920 black to yellow conversion (album)

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
hi all so far i have black , red & white shells for my 920, i have a yellow one on order but i was wondering that as some of thee are copys has anyone sen colors that are not part of the nokia range, i really want a grey/charcoal or orange

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Just changed mine to red (after changing from black to yellow). Got this from ebay including charging coil (justinpartsnc located in the US). This is a genuine Nokia housing. The seller added note that parts inside are pulled from L920s. looks like the real deal for $25.
2yudl5c.jpg

2aiopjb.jpg

2ylve42.jpg

2vvrifn.jpg

edit: forgot that you'd have to buy the Sim tray separately, sorry.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
it really is easy, the videos make it look hard but its not, if you can use a screwdriver & hairdryer then you can change the shell

@metalchick, and the one I listed comes with the charging coil already in place. That would be the hardest part to remove.
I did not need a hairdryer for removing the other two parts that need to be swapped.
1. remove two screws
2. pry open (sounds horrible but it comes off easily, watch the videos) housing from phone main body. Place housing next to phone main body making sure the USB ribbon cable doesn't get twisted or pulled off.
3. swap speaker jack (only needs a small amount of prying with plastic tool) to new housing
4. swap USB part on other side to new housing
5. place phone main body into new housing and snap in place, put screws back in
voila

Timo Verbrugghe

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to share my experience.

First bought a cyan case from 5_bestcell. Arrived intact, but due to me dropping my Lumia 920, it cracked pretty quickly (ok, so this can be due to quality of the case or me dropping my Phone too hard).

20131210_140317069_iOS.jpg
20131210_140332391_iOS.jpg

Then I bought a new cyan case from Stellatech by searching for this product code: 02503Z7. Total amount paid: 62,37 ? (incl. shipping costs). The cover arrived quickly (within 3 days).

And I must say... there is a big difference in quality and feel. First off, the stellatech case is MATT cyan. It also feels more "premium" (probably due to the fact that this is matt, which has a different and IMO more quality feel than glossy plastic). The installation with the stellatech also went better than with 5_bestcell case (f.e. snapping the cover on was a lot faster and the buttons/usb port/headphone jack all aligned perfectly from the first try).
20131210_140250721_iOS.jpg

With the 5_bestcell case, I had problems with aligning the volume/power/camera buttons, which caused one of them to "sink in", making it harder to press. This problem is gone with the stellatech case.

I've added a comparison picture (left: stellatech, right: 5_bestcell). I must say: If you have the money, spend it on the stellatech case (especially if this will be your first time swapping a cover). It is just higher quality and will last longer than 5_bestcell's cases.
20131210_140226336_iOS.jpg

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Then I bought a new cyan case from Stellatech by searching for this product code: 02503Z7. Total amount paid: 62,37 € (incl. shipping costs). The cover arrived quickly (within 3 days).

Mind linking me to the listing? I've checked and can't find it on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk. The back of my red Lumia 920 got pretty roughed up from a nasty fall, so I've been looking for a good cyan replacement.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a used black and red housing for the 920 - both in good nick. I've upgraded to the 1020. PM me if anyone's interested (UK). They are both genuine and come with antennae, sim tray etc...

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to share my experience.

First bought a cyan case from 5_bestcell. Arrived intact, but due to me dropping my Lumia 920, it cracked pretty quickly (ok, so this can be due to quality of the case or me dropping my Phone too hard).

View attachment 51677
View attachment 51674

Then I bought a new cyan case from Stellatech by searching for this product code: 02503Z7. Total amount paid: 62,37 ? (incl. shipping costs). The cover arrived quickly (within 3 days).

And I must say... there is a big difference in quality and feel. First off, the stellatech case is MATT cyan. It also feels more "premium" (probably due to the fact that this is matt, which has a different and IMO more quality feel than glossy plastic). The installation with the stellatech also went better than with 5_bestcell case (f.e. snapping the cover on was a lot faster and the buttons/usb port/headphone jack all aligned perfectly from the first try).
View attachment 51675

With the 5_bestcell case, I had problems with aligning the volume/power/camera buttons, which caused one of them to "sink in", making it harder to press. This problem is gone with the stellatech case.

I've added a comparison picture (left: stellatech, right: 5_bestcell). I must say: If you have the money, spend it on the stellatech case (especially if this will be your first time swapping a cover). It is just higher quality and will last longer than 5_bestcell's cases.
View attachment 51676
Had a yellow case from bestcell5 and the exchange was smoothly done. Love it, brand new phone!!

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ordered a red shell but it doesnt have sim tray and i can seem to find any in india :( I'm lucky that my current shell is white, so a red permanent marker may do the temporary job :p

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm also going to do a black to yellow conversion!

The housing I went with is this one from focus_memory: NEW Yellow Housing Cover SIM Tray With Wifi Charging Port FOR Nokia Lumia 920 | eBay

It was only $18 with free shipping plus it includes the wireless charging coil!

Anyone ordered from these guys before?

Their listing seems to be exactly the same as 5_bestcells. Except $7 cheaper! There is even another seller servefrist_0716 who has the same product, at another price!
http://i.imgur.com/Ljb2DU0.png

Any idea what's up here? Are they all the same seller?

Edit: just noticed that the sim door is in the housing for the focus_memory picture, while it's sitting next to the housing for the other two sellers. Weird stuff.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also going to do a black to yellow conversion!

Any idea what's up here? Are they all the same seller?
probably different sellers just trying to get an advantage by adding coil or going cheaper. My experience with 5_cell is good. I did receive the wrong sim tray with the first order but he shipped the correct one within a few days at no charge. you will see from posts above that buys from Asia sources seem hit or miss. I must have been lucky with the two cases I ordered (although the red one was from the US).

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Finally got my yellow replacement housing. Swapped it in aaaaaaaand the power button doesnt work properly. I cant feel it making contact with the button. However if I use my nail and push the button pretty hard, then it does work.

Sigh, waited over a month for this. Bah.

Anyone have any tips to get the power button working? I've taken the case off and put it back three times now (the first time only the camera button worked, 2nd time the volume buttons started working, and then no changes since :/ )

EDIT: Just after posting it i fiddled it it a bit more and realised the button worked if i pressed the part closer to the screen, so the button was too 'low'. So i grabbed the phone and sorta squeezed and lifted in order to try and 'pull' the casing and button up. nothing. Then i just pushed slightly from behind the button aaaand CLICK. woooo!

Differences between this and the real case:
The rear metalic strip on the 'cheap' case is raised a tiny bit, whereas on the real case it's flush with the rear.
The camera button feels perfect. The power and volume buttons are a bit more recessed than the real ones. Not a major problem, just feels a bit different when youre pressing them as you finger goes a bit further than youre used to.
Also my sim tray is a slightly darker colour than the housing. Not sure what to make of that. Might contact the seller to see what he says.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me with one of the three housings I purchased. I got a replacement. Fixing the button is a pain. At least I could not get it to work because the rubber piece that pushes onto the button on the ribbon adhered to the side of the board was damaged (the extended nipple must have broken off and it was flat and no matter how much you pushed it would not reach the actual button). I got a replacement.

I'd contact the seller and ask him for a refund or replacement. He should have no problem with you shipping the damaged back (if he wants it back) after you receive the replacement.
good luck

only on my yellow one I saw a slight difference in color from body and simcard tray. I got another simcard tray that matched in color later though.

The camera cover on my red one was raised as well. I finally decided to fix it. You can pry it off carefully, remove all traces of glue or adhesive tape and use thin adhesive tape to reseat it. You may have to take the lens cover (glass) off in the process and reseat that as well. I use this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2551904
or carbon tape from work ( a little wider) for this. Now it is flush.
If you know how to change the housing this is easy to do.

some pictures here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...k-lens-nokia-logo-slice-back.html#post2543510

edit: here is a pic after I used the tape from Amazon above to finish the job. It's perfectly flush and sits rock solid in the housing.
WP_20140521_005 (400x209).jpg

Last edited:

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Derausgewanderte!

I had this happen to me with one of the three housings I purchased. I got a replacement. Fixing the button is a pain. I'd contact the seller and ask him for a refund or replacement. He should have no problem with you shipping the damaged back (if he wants it back) after you receive the replacement.

Sigh, I’d rather not have to ship it back to him as the thing only cost $18 (and shipping to china from Australia would probably be more expensive than the actual product). Maybe i’ll open it up and try to stick a piece of plastic in to try and make the contact better (assuming that's possible).

only on my yellow one I saw a slight difference in color from body and simcard tray. I got another simcard tray that matched in color later though.

I’ve asked the seller for a new one, if he sends one thats great, otherwise I’m not worried really, I never look at the sim card tray tbh!

The camera cover on my red one was raised as well. I finally decided to fix it. You can pry it off carefully, remove all traces of glue or adhesive tape and use thin adhesive tape to reseat it. You may have to take the lens cover (glass) off in the process and reseat that as well.

Thanks for those links and photos of the procedure! I’ll definitely keep them for later use (first priority is the iffy power button!).

Thanks again for the continued support in this thread, i know everyone here appreciates it!

Edit: here are some pictures, because everyone loves pictures. http://imgur.com/a/vgoeW
Sorry I was too excited to take photos of the yellow enclosure before i put it on!

EDIT 2: Seller is shipping me another one! Hopefully it wont take too long to arrive....but odds are.... :/

Last edited:

fahad kazi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a red 920 and now I have a yellow 920 which I got replaced as red was not available with Nokia. I had some issues with a red one after 9 months of use and its good to have a change ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon