Lumia 920 Body peeling?

bt66

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My 5 month old Yellow Lumia 920 is starting to peel off. Initially when I felt a rough spot right above the NOKIA emblem...it thought I might have scratched it somehow. But upon close examination it looked like shallow bubble. Upon touch it started to peel off at the edge. Now I just noticed the same thing on the bottom of the screen below the search button. Edge of the phone has the same bubble kind of issue & peel. Wondering if others have noticed it?? Also is some kind of heat issue causing this. It's on the same side of the phone on the top & bottom. Very disappointed to see this. I do not use any covers.

Any suggestions or comments?

Attachments

• WP_20130505_003.jpg
    WP_20130505_003.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 76
  • WP_20130505_006.jpg
    WP_20130505_006.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Its more noticeable in your first pic than the second one. I wonder if that has to do with the brand of die they are using to get this color or if there are several plants building this cover and some one is using short cuts. Same kind of thing happened with the Lumia 900 and its radio issues. A bunch of bad Lumia 900's distributed by Amazon (mine included) were traced to a plant in Mexico.

First order of business is to alert Nokia from their twitter page. https://twitter.com/NokiaUS. This is the US link so look for the link in your home country. If it a common problem, you may do well to choose a different color once they get you a case number.

archersvalley

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Its only been a few months. Your phone must be covered under warranty. As long as you didn't deliberately manage to do that somehow, it should get replaced!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
IMO Nokia warranty explicitly states they do not cover cosmetic damage, but you should try your luck.

Though I don't know from first hand knowledge, I am guessing that is talking about scratches, dents, etc. This is an issue with the craftsmanship. That said though, I bet they will do something. Anyone in business knows that you win loyal customers by how you treat them when things don't go right.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
My iphone 4s has scratches on the aluminum rectangular ring of the body, even though I have kept it in a case all the time. Not sure, if this happened due to the case.
So, you sure, your peeling is not related to some bad case or some style of usage related to you only?

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I have the same problem with my red 920 but they were a result of a drop. Dropped it like 4 times and all the scratches and peelings are barely noticeable :D

Are you sure you didn't drop your phone or anything? After I dropped mine I actually thought it suffered no damage, but later that day I noticed the peelings so maybe you dropped your phone and didn't notice it until now?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I've dropped my 920 a couple times and I've had it since December. There is a dent at the bottom from when I got in a car accident but I don't even notice it anymore

It's body is intact and nothing has started to chip or peel.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the gloss finish is peeling off. Maybe the gloss coat wasn't thick enough. Contact Nokia, they'll definitely do something about it as that should not happen.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Hold on, so even the 920 is having its own share of issues with the corners? This is crazy.

Had mine for 6 months, nothing wrong with it at all. Only discolouration has occurred because of the case i use (dust and sand gets in between phone and case and scratches it and makes it shiny)

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh, no!!!

So your phone is showing signs of wear??? Isn't that normal for anything. Especially if it used constantly for 5 months.
If you don't want it to wear, keep it in the box and NEVER use it.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing the Lumia 920, at least on the glossy versions, features some kind of clearcoat finish. Perhaps certain cases were subject to poor molding, but I've never heard of plastic delaminating like that. My own phone has been dropped and one corner has a few dents but I've never seen any evidence of a coating, so I really can't be sure either way. I suppose if the coating has been applied properly it shouldn't ever peel.

As for the matte versions rubbing down to a shine, that's inevitable. It's a fundamental problem with matte finishes. This is why the rare cars featuring matte paint require an absurd level of care to ensure the paint isn't ruined. The texturing is so fine that it doesn't hold up to abrasion very well and there's no practical way to protect it. Apply a matte clearcoat and that will be prone to the same problem. Apply a more resistant gloss finish and you end up with a glossy device.

This is most gadgets from the 70s and 80s featured that heavy pebbled grain. Plastic molded that way is incredibly resistant to damage and age. But it's a lot hard to make a device out of it that looks elegant and contemporary.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to my first white 920.. Glossy finish started peeling off. I started a thread about it (search for "white finish") a few months ago with pics. But then, before I could get anything done about it, I dropped it and shattered the screen. So I had to get an insurance replacement...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa