Bad mainboard - no new unit, Nokia refurbishes phone and you have to accept it

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Finally got through to Nokia Care center yesterday evening. Was told the mainboard had to be replaced.

After some searching, I found many posts of others who?ve had swapped boards, and some that still had problems after that. Eventually, in most cases, the unit was just replaced. I can?t understand how Nokia expects anyone to accept back a two month old L920 (purchased for p25,000 = $600+) that has basically been ?refurbished?.

No original purchaser wants a refurbished phone after just two months.

Philippine buyers be warned. If you have any problems with your phone, Nokia considers it to be just tough luck, and you?ll end up with a refurbished phone with little if any resale value.
Read the details here:
http://www.facebook.com/nokiaphilip...ffset=0&total_comments=8&notif_t=feed_comment

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So someone should expect a brand new phone after 2 months of use from the first? With practically any electronic warranty, the company has the right to repair if possible or replace. What is wrong with a new motherboard in YOUR phone? I don't get what is wrong. If I had bought a computer and the HDD went bad after 2 months, should I be mad if the company wants to just replace my HDD instead of getting a whole new one?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't Apple do the same thing too? Many other companies too. What do you expect them to do? Every broken phone has to be replaced with a new one and they throw all the broken phones in the trash?

I don't see what's wrong with refurbished. Sometimes I actually like to buy refurbished if the warranty is good enough because it's pretty much new. Anything broken was replaced.

And actually, most of the times when I send something in for repair, I either get back my same unit repaired, or a brand new unit. If you're getting back the same phone you sent in, but fixed, I don't see how there's problem since it's your own phone.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow! You guys are way too forgiving.

When buying a "flagship" product of a company in the industry for so long, and priced at over $600, I expect it to work.

As my detailed post states, I had problems in the first few weeks but tried everything to work through them, when the other unresolveable issues surfaced.

In Philippines, with no carrier subsidies for the Nokia Lumias, anyone paying the full price expects to not get a lemon. And if you do, you expect it replaced with new.

Sure. If it was advertised as "less than three months old, newly-replaced mainboard, refurbished unit for a discount", I'd accept it.

I can't think of any electronics item that I purchased for $600 that had problems within the first 3 months. And we are not talking the "hard drive", we are talking about the core mainboard.

I guess it is just me. I EXPECTED more from Nokia.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You're lucky you get anything mate. The law (in the UK anyway) states that the retailer is responsible for any defects. Nokia doesn't have to do jack if they didn't want to. Good service IMO

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't Apple do the same thing too? Many other companies too. What do you expect them to do? Every broken phone has to be replaced with a new one and they throw all the broken phones in the trash?

Nope, they replace faulty phones with brand new ones for a few weeks after launch. The faulty ones are then sent back to a factory for refurbishment. After a few weeks, faulty phones are replaced in store with refurbished phones. iPhones are not 'thrown in the trash' by Apple.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Finally got through to Nokia Care center yesterday evening. Was told the mainboard had to be replaced.

After some searching, I found many posts of others who’ve had swapped boards, and some that still had problems after that. Eventually, in most cases, the unit was just replaced. I can’t understand how Nokia expects anyone to accept back a two month old L920 (purchased for p25,000 = $600+) that has basically been “refurbished”.

No original purchaser wants a refurbished phone after just two months.

Philippine buyers be warned. If you have any problems with your phone, Nokia considers it to be just tough luck, and you’ll end up with a refurbished phone with little if any resale value.
Read the details here:
http://www.facebook.com/nokiaphilip...2&offset=0&total_comments=8?if_t=feed_comment

I have a refurbished 920. It's been 100% trouble free. Including no dust in the FFC (which is why my original launch day 920 was swapped. After three months.)

Did you not read the warranty? It explains what Nokia will do. Which they did. If you didn't like those terms, you should not have accepted the product in the first place.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for expecting more from Nokia.

Thanks Nokia Philippines for the replacement unit provided today!

Now if MS can get the WP Store straightened out, my expectations will have been met.

Thanks for all the feedback from WPCentral members.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Erm, these phones are sold less than 6 mo globally and less then 3 in Philippines. It maybe even newer than your own unit. After all after the repair your phone is considered refurbished too. Whats the fuss?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I actually prefer refurbs to new with electronic devices. They are almost always perfect cosmetically, and usually better than new mechanically.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Nope, they replace faulty phones with brand new ones for a few weeks after launch. The faulty ones are then sent back to a factory for refurbishment. After a few weeks, faulty phones are replaced in store with refurbished phones. iPhones are not 'thrown in the trash' by Apple.

I never said Apple threw them in the trash. I said, what do you expect them to do, throw them in the trash?

They have to replace it with new ones because there aren't any refurbished ones at launch, obviously. They have to build up their stock of refurbished phones.

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
When the iPhones are first rolled out to the customers are there brand new units in white boxes. After a few weeks they replace it with refurbished phones. Remember that the Lumia 920 has been out 6 months now and you can't really expect to have a brand new unit unless they replace it because you continuously receive lemons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon