Lumia 920 on T-mobile?

9520G

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been thinking about this but since t mobile is so cheap now I rather sell my att 900 and 920 and just switch and get the 925.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to switch when I get back to USA. I hope HSPA+ will work in my area (Puget Sound area in WA). I got my phone unlocked already.

Benjamin Mendez1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I finally switch to T-Mobile I live Houston clear lake area. I'm hitting LTE speeds,4g and edge. You never know. The closer I am to our main highway the most likely I would get LTE.

Siggystyle

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I finally switch to T-Mobile I live Houston clear lake area. I'm hitting LTE speeds,4g and edge. You never know. The closer I am to our main highway the most likely I would get LTE.
I too am a Houston native, and a friend wants to sell me her 920 (from AT&T) I highly doubt it is unlocked in any fashion, but I could get a GREAT deal on it, and want to try to MAKE it work with my T-Mobile SIM... Can u give me the best rundown of steps needed to ensure the best workings of the device on our Network with best speeds and functionality??

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
You'll have to change the APN to fast.t-mobile.com to get LTE. I just drove through Houston with an unlocked AT&T Focus 2 with that APN and got LTE. You will need to call AT&T and ask them to unlock the phone, though. They unlocked mine no problem, only asked if it was an iPhone.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I just hope I can get their 3.5G as no carrier has LTE in my location (near Seattle). A bit nervous what I will get with this AT&T Lumia 920. But I will find out next weekend and report back.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
From what I've heard T-mobile has HSPA 21MB/s on the 1900 band, which the 920 has a radio for. Their 42MB/s HSPA+ is on the 1700 band which the 920 does not have. Best option might be to go AT&T prepaid.

clzo09

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to get the LTE without having to install the APN app? In the System -> Celluar, I have changed the APN to fast.t-mobile.com in the edit internet apn setting, but I'm getting 4G with or without the change.

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting T-Mobile LTE in OKC on my unlocked Lumia 920. The speeds aren't nearly as fast as AT&T LTE, but the official launch isn't until June from what I've read.

T-Mobile must have LTE on non AWS bands, since my 920 is getting LTE.

ismeyall

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have my unlocked 920 here in Houston, running on T-Mobile. I get LTE, but it that's not work. The phone internet only works when my LTE drops to 4g or when I'm in another city or state my LTE works than. Anyone knows why so? Because now I want to sell my phone to get 925.

bloboblob

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I'm pretty new to all this. Was wondering if anyone knew my problem.
I still can't receive any picture messages even after trying some of the requests.
So far I've:
turned on/off
reset
tried 2 different apn's
tried access point
switched data on/off.

IDK what else to do. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I'm pretty new to all this. Was wondering if anyone knew my problem.
I still can't receive any picture messages even after trying some of the requests.
So far I've:
turned on/off
reset
tried 2 different apn's
tried access point
switched data on/off.

IDK what else to do. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Try this fellas, got it from Tmobile today to finally get mine working....

Connection Name : T-mobile mms

Internet APN

Access point name : epc.tmobile.com
Username : Blank
Password : Blank
Proxy Address : 216.155.165.50
Proxy Port : 8080
Network Type : IPv4
Authentication Type : none

MMS APN

MMS access point name : epc.tmobile.com
Username : blank
Password : blank
Proxy Address : 216.155.165.50
Proxy port : 8080
MMSC address : http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Network type : IPv4
Authentication type : none

important : after tapping it to make it active, restart your phone. :)

Jose Byron Gonzalez

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I started noticing LTE in and around L.A. about one month ago. One thing that was immediately clear was that whenever LTE was lit, I did not have any services other than voice and text. I updated the APN settings to fix my picture text messages and noticed that Cellular Network was set to AUTO and this being an unlocked ATT device, it was picking up the AT&T network. So changed it to T-Mobile. Same thing with not being able to use data over LTE.

Visited a couple of T-Mobile stores where I was told their LTE deployment was "iffy" because they were running into a lot of "unexpected issues" - so am also thinking of selling the 920 to get a 925 but having discovered these new APN settings I will try them. For now, the first change that is evident is that I no longer see LTE here at work but only 4G.

I'll keep you posted.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
For anyone that comes across this thread via search results (as I did), I now have data and MMS both working with T-Mobile LTE on my Rogers 920. My settings are as follows:

Under the settings>cellular menu I have LTE selected as my highest connection speed and under the option for Network Selection I changed it from Automatic to T-Mobile.

Internet APN Settings
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
IP Type: IPv4
(all other fields were left blank)

MMS APN Settings
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
MMSC (url): http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMSC port: 80
Maximum MMS size: 1048
IP type: IPv4
(all other fields left blank)

After changing these settings, restart to apply.

I'm sure it's possible I could get some better speeds by tweaking some of these settings, but I'm happy with the performance now and I don't want to unintentionally break anything because it took me a while to find a combination of settings that worked for both data and MMS on LTE. I'll update the post in a week or so to confirm if these settings are still working or not.

Update (4 August): Settings are still working for me. A friend of mine said his stopped working, but I'm still fine. So YMMV with these settings.

Last edited:

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing this, provided I can get out of my contract with no ETF because AT&T changed their upgrade terms (or if I can somehow recoup the ETF0), but I'd like to know how this may affect my ability to get the GDR2+Amber udpate.

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much metalchick. I was having such a hard time with my 920. I added your settings in access point and now I can get mms. Down to one last problem. internet sharing/hot spot.....wish me luck

You can either try this:

APN: epc.tmoble.com (all other fields blank)
Cellular Settings: choose 3G
Internet APN: APN: epc.tmobile.com (all other fields blank)
MMS APN: APN: epc.tmobile.com
MMSC URL: http://mms.msg.eng/t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS port: 80
Max MMS size: 1024 (all other fields blank)

If this doesn't work, you can always download the Access Point app. That's what I used on my 920 when the settings above didn't work for me.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre