Microsoft's Newest Commercial could be working!

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There's a similar situation at my work where someone purchased an SG4 to replace his iPhone 4. Since he had a week to play with the SG2, he was confident the S4 was the perfect choice as iPhone 5 wasn't advanced enough...and he was tired of the stale UI. After 3 days of owning the S4, he came to me with a list of complaints and now he wishes he would have stayed with Apple. He explains, other than the large beautiful screen and nice way of customizing the UI, everything else for him is a drawback. He says the lag is horrendous, setup for certain applications on iPhone were 2 steps where as on Android they're 4 or 5, the battery isn't very good, music playback is lacking and he's had to reboot it multiple times. I am not bashing the device, this is what i was told. I expressed i had similar problems with my previous S3, directed him to some tips on how to help make the device function more to his advantage. Every time i ask him how its going, he responds with a forceful "it's good, getting better"...but the look on the poor guys face...i can see the pain. Its the same look i had when i realized getting the S3 wasn't the right move for me.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm one of the lucky ones for having this realisation back when I had the HTC Legend. Exactly the same complaints back then, it really does amaze me...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What amazes me is how differently Americans and central Europeans think about and react to advertisements. In my neck of the world, admitting to buying anything due to advertisements would be like saying: "hey, I'm a flaky pushover incapable of reaching my own conclusions and glad to be manipulated by large corporations". Obviously Europeans are also influenced by adds, but more on a subconscious level. Funny how things like that differ.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What amazes me is how differently Americans and central Europeans think about and react to advertisements. In my neck of the world, admitting to buying anything due to advertisements would be like saying: "hey, I'm a flaky pushover incapable of reaching my own conclusions and glad to be manipulated by large corporations". Obviously Europeans are also influenced by adds, but more on a subconscious level. Funny how things like that differ.

Are you saying that Americans are more honest? 😉

Actually, I think when it comes from a little known product like WP, the ads just make people know that they exist.

flapadlr_Nok900

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I thought the wedding ad was from Nokia, but clearly I am wrong since everyone else in this thread thinks it's a Microsoft ad. Not that it matters to world peace.

phantom404

May 14, 2012
Visit site
A guy at my job picked up his GS4 this past Friday. He handed it to me for a little 'show and tell'. I held it. Looked at it . Flipped a few screens and handed it back. I made a comment about the sensors on the phone and his comment to me was, "I thought I would be more happy to have this phone." He said after he got it up and running, he couldn't remember why he felt he had to have the GS4.
Then he asked me something out of the blue. "Why didn't you want one?" Meaning the GS4. I shot back, "Why did you?" He said he didn't know and I went back to my station. He had this puzzled look on his face I tried to read but couldn't. It reminded me of buyers remorse. I'll know more soon when the bloom falls off the rose.

I was in the same boat. I just jumped from Verizon and went to ATT. It was actually about the same price but I'm getting twice the data amount over here. Besides the early termination fee from Verizon it wasn't expensive to switch at all. I'm still sitting with 70 bucks credit right now in my ATT account after my first bill.

Coming from Verizon I had the 822 and 8x...loved them both. The 8x for its resolution, design, sound and camera. The 822 because of the apps (Nokia) and the screen (loved the blacks/colors). The first phone I picked up at ATT was the HTC One. It was an awesome phone. The cover flow (I think that's what its called) reminded me of the live tiles and the screen was top notch. After the wow factor wore off (about 30min) I realized it was same old android. Paid the restocking fee, returned it and picked up a white Lumia 920 for free. Couldn't be happier. Finally group texting and an awesome camera along with a great display and of course the OS :) Only thing I missed from the HTC One was the IR it had...loved using it as a remote for my TV.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that Americans are more honest? 😉

Absolutely (disclaimer: dishonest European here). ;-)

My remark came about, because some people posted that they bought the product because of the add. I've heard similar stories from marketing execs, so I guess that isn't uncommon.

The advantage of being more open to advertising, is that U.S. customers are more highly contested (get better deals) and have a bigger say in which products achieve international success and which don't. On the down side, you need to put up with at least three times as much advertising accross all media.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss