920 - Poor battery performance, Has a hard reset made any difference?

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I think I've found the culprit, it's the dreaded "constantly searching/changing signal" issue. Had it a couple of times and it went away of it's own accord but it seems to be here to stay. Any suggestions anyone, tried toggling flight mode, soft resets/reboots and no joy. :unhappysweat:

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I think I've found the culprit, it's the dreaded "constantly searching/changing signal" issue. Had it a couple of times and it went away of it's own accord but it seems to be here to stay. Any suggestions anyone, tried toggling flight mode, soft resets/reboots and no joy. :unhappysweat:
3G is crap in Bangkok so I mostly use 2G, Unfortunately my phone still goes into battery drain some days. On 2G I am able to get 9 to 10 hours with moderate use. I will be in Australia in July so will test my phone there. Not really expecting much difference though.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their advice, although the "tips for 8X" are not wholly useful for a Nokia 920. Thanks anyway.

I've used that thread for an 822, an 8X and now my 920, it has helpful tips that many people dont realize help so much like just this one - Uncheck Xbox helps bigtime for battery life. My phone can last a whole weekend easily.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm pleased for you, genuinely. However I didn't see one tip that I hadn't read elsewhere and already tried/implemented.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm pleased for you, genuinely. However I didn't see one tip that I hadn't read elsewhere and already tried/implemented.

I'm with you on this. I'm on my second 920, it had amazing battery life I literally had to make it go dead. Now my second one of which has exact same apps as before plus new mass effect game is absolutely atrocious. Its like it lives on a power cord. What this tells me is that maybe the battery life is a manufacturing problem. Because one phone is amazing the next the exact opposite, not to mention this new one gets unbearably hot. First got warm at best.

WuhJett

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
i had the same problem even on normal use i would only get like 10 hours max on normal use and now i get more than 14 hours and thats listening to music, checking my emails and surfing the net but i do point out that the new Face Book Beta app has been reported to waste a **** load of battery even when not signed in and background data turned off, i deleted the app and the problem had disappeared. Metro Tube wastes a **** load of battery as well and as well as playing games, also turn off automatic screen brightness and set it to 'low' and leave it there as it requires more battery on auto screen brightness due to constant light changes.

background task turn off (metro tube ) u mean ?

hope this helps ^.^ i have a Lumia 920 and i been through this difficult time, be strong brother be strong

WuhJett

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, the first thing to do is remove the Facebook app and see what happens. After that do the hard reset then calibrate the battery meter by letting it go to 10% or so then do a full recharge. Do this a couple of times.

If none of that helps I suggest you exchange it. Your battery may just be going out. If after all that, well, then it is just your usage pattern and it may not be the phone for you. But I doubt you'll find any good smart phone that does much better.

Hope you get it worked out. The 920 is a sweet phone.

background task turn off (metro tube ) u mean ?

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I reset my phone, only to get 16hrs of spinny cogs ( mostly while sleeping). So I did the up, down, power, down hard reset. Installed only wpcentral to my phone. I am currently at 17hrs since last charge and over 6 days remaining. That is with decent- moderate use no games and some video through internet explorer. Also I wrote earlier how my phone was unbearably hot most of the time, it has yet to even get warm. All this makes me wonder if its not certain apps that cause heating and battery drain. Even before reset I had nothing running in the background and xbl connect off, yet it was constantly hot and always needing a charge.

phize

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Battery is pretty bad in my experience. I always lose like 30-40% during a night, some times more. A few times it has even drained completely during night, with no apps open.

By the way, is there somewhere you can report bugs to the developers? I am shocked there are still bugs, that have been there since launch. (language specific in my case)

Last edited:

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Battery is pretty bad in my experience. I always lose like 30-40% during a night, some times more. A few times it has even drained completely during night, with no apps open.

By the way, is there somewhere you can report bugs to the developers? I am shocked there are still bugs, that have been there since launch. (language specific in my case)

I lose about 4% overnight! If you're battery is draining by the amount you state, your device may be defective.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I have the Beta Facebook app so may try that and I don't have Metrotube. Yeah display on low already, pretty convinced I have all the saving battery "tips" covered. This is serious though, hence my question regarding a hard reset as I've been through everything on every sight to see if I can avoid the pain that is a hard reset. Interested to hear from those who have done and what happened.

try to delete beta facebook, Have heard hundreds of times about how bad this app is, it drains A LOT of battery, in every platforms (iOS, android and wp)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
There are few issues related to OS and it at times fails to kill the apps gone rogue. No way to figure that out. GDR2 may not fix it and GDR3 may not either. But I generally do hard reset and have made a rule to add one app a day to see which was the nasty one!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
hard reset never corrected my battery performance issues, i tried 3 times....it eventually got much better over time...until Amber, and now its back to average.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo