Hey guys,
    I buy and sell phones as a secondary income. I recently purchased a 920 from someone locally. They told me the phone had a clear IMEI (my mistake for not checking myself, I know.) I sold the phone and the customer told me that once they activated it, they were able to use it for 30 minutes before it "locked". The customer took the phone to AT&T and AT&T told them that the phone locked because it has been reported as stolen. They returned the phone back to me for a refund. I called AT&T and provided them with the IMEI #. They said that the phone had not been reported lost or stolen and was clear to activate. I then specifically asked them: "So I am OK to purchase this phone and will be able to use it?" They told me that, "Yes, that is correct."

So, what's the deal? Why, within 30 minutes of activating the phone, did the phone lock up on the customer and AT&T told them this was because it was reported as stolen when, once I got the phone back and called AT&T, they say that the IMEI is clear and the phone is good to go?
    05-17-2013 06:24 PM
    Can you describe the lock screen? WP has a way to remotely lock the phone but it has to be tied to your MS account. I assume the phone was fully reset so it wasn't tied to the previous owners MS account?
    05-17-2013 06:31 PM
    I can't describe the lock screen as I never saw it. Now that I have the phone back, I thought about putting my wife's SIM card in the phone to see if the same thing happens. I did a full restore on the phone prior to shipping it out to the buyer, so it shouldn't have been tied to the previous owner's account.
    jojapath likes this.
    05-17-2013 08:35 PM
    Did you see the screen when the phone locked?
    Were you also there when AT&T told your customer the reason why it locked?

I have a feeling your customer was just finding a reason to get a refund....
    05-17-2013 10:07 PM
    I have put my wife's SIM in the phone. I am letting her use it to see what happens-- if it locks. According the person I sold it to, it locked after 30 minutes of them using it.
    05-17-2013 10:14 PM
    Are you by any chance related to or are doing business with parkee99. It seems like these are the same issues...

Anyway, here's the thread. Maybe you can find help there if someone has helpful info. http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc...acklisted.html
    05-17-2013 10:18 PM
    Not related nor doing business with aforementioned. But I will check out the thread. Thanks!
    05-17-2013 10:24 PM
    So I inserted my wife's SIM into the phone. It worked for a while. But then, upon trying to place a call, I received a recorded message saying, "We're sorry, but this device has been blocked from network use. Please contact your wireless provider." There was no lock screen displayed. Any ideas?
    05-18-2013 02:38 AM
    Call AT&T up and yell at them until they get someone competent on the line.

I did read about a global block, where all carriers would contribute to a single blacklist, but I don't think that's in place yet...
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    05-18-2013 02:51 AM
    Definitely calling them now, as shortly after I put my wife's SIM back into her phone, it blocked her iPhone!
    05-18-2013 09:08 AM
    Call AT&T up and yell at them until they get someone competent on the line.

I did read about a global block, where all carriers would contribute to a single blacklist, but I don't think that's in place yet...
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    There isn't a global blacklisting system in place yet (the politics of such a thing make it nigh-on impossible to implement, even though it should be done).

However, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a US-wide carrier-independent blacklist. As far as I know every country in Europe (or at least Western Europe) has such a system in place. It is a shame that countries don't share data between them though...

However, saying that the UK system would bar access by IMEI at network registration level, so a UK-blacklisted phone would never even be allowed to connect to any UK network. Seems weird that the US equivalent lets the phone work for a while at all...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-20-2013 03:12 PM
    Definitely calling them now, as shortly after I put my wife's SIM back into her phone, it blocked her iPhone!
    Woah, sounds like AT&T have some ridiculous matching system :/
    05-20-2013 03:13 PM
    I am at the same situation, the problem was resolved?
    06-03-2013 04:14 PM
    The SIM shouldn't block the iPhone - they block phones by IMEI, not SIM.

I'm going through this myself. I bought an 8X off Ebay that was stolen. I got a refund, but had the exact same issue as you - phone told me it was blocked on AT&T's network, reported stolen, blah blah.

Put my sim in my HTC First, no problems. Put sim in another 8X I bought, no problems.

AT&T's customer service reps are awful though, never have any idea what they're talking about. Its part of the reason why I'm taking my business to T-Mobile at the end of the year.
    06-03-2013 04:50 PM