How can I find out why my phone is heating up

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
For 2 days now my phone seems to be getting excessively hot and the battery is draining faster and I haven't installed anything new . I've hard reset the phone and let the battery drain out. I have 2 background apps. Weather and wpc.entral

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Do you live in an area with poor cell service? How many bars do you get?
Also: Do you turn off the following: Wi-Fi, Location, Bluetooth?

And, try uninstalling the Weather app. WPCentral hasn't caused this problem on my 620.

If all else fails, return the phone. It may be a defective unit.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is my 4th L920 since Nov launch. This just started 2 days ago. Like right now its burning up and nothing is extra is running. I have everything off**** except WiFi.

Last edited:

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
This is my 4th L920 since Nov launch. This just started 2 days ago. Like right now its burning up and nothing is extra is running. I have everything off**** except WiFi.
Your 4th phone?? Seriously? Kudoes to you for sticking with the platform and the device - you obviously love the L920. If i had to return my phone more than twice, id be getting a different handset model.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if indexing emails could be CPU intensive. So when you connect a new phone to your mail server and set it up to download a month of data, this doesn't only cause lots of network activity, but indexing activity as well. I would really like a task manager to figure things like this out.

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920, and i must admit i have not experienced this over heating problem that many others have. I can't say i play a lot of games, but i use my phone moderately, have push email enabled, background tasks for weather, battery and wpcentral active & have wifi switched on constantly while at home or work and keep location on when out, and use it for mapping etc.... All of this, with no over heating.

You shouldn't need to switch everything off to remedy this issue. The phone should be able to use these features without this heating problem. So im not sure what to suggest. Id say return the phone, maybe 5th time will be the charm you need!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Even though you have everything turned off, that doesn't mean you don't have a rogue application running. What applications have you installed?

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem on my 920, and it seems that uninstalling the Nokia version of the Weather Channel application solved it. I am now using the Weather Channel version of the application with no problems. I realize there are a myriad of things that can cause this, but wanted to share what helped in my situation.

jeffgeno

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the wireless charging plate? I'm convinced that's the main culprit with heat and battery problems. I have tons of background tasks enabled, push email, wifi on all the time, and I never have trouble until I use the charging plate. After that, the phone gets really hot and chews through the batteries in a couple hours. A soft reset will fix it every time, but you'll have to do that after you remove it from the charger each day.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I do use a wireless charger but that's not the issue. Also I have hard reset the phone multiple times. It was perfectly fine a few days ago. Firmware is up today. I always keep everything turned off since I never really use Bluetooth or nfc.due to windows phone 8 being poorly developed and it causes so much battery drainage I always keep things off. Its not an issue with low LTE coverage because it happens with 4/5 bars. Like I said this is just a new thing that started happening and I uninstalled everything I've installed recently.
I do have a strange LTE issue due to firmware 1308/1314 but my phone never heated up like it has recently and it heats up whenever WiFi or cellular data is being used.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I do use a wireless charger but that's not the issue. Also I have hard reset the phone multiple times. It was perfectly fine a few days ago. Firmware is up today. I always keep everything turned off since I never really use Bluetooth or nfc.due to windows phone 8 being poorly developed and it causes so much battery drainage I always keep things off. Its not an issue with low LTE coverage because it happens with 4/5 bars. Like I said this is just a new thing that started happening and I uninstalled everything I've installed recently.
I do have a strange LTE issue due to firmware 1308/1314 but my phone never heated up like it has recently and it heats up whenever WiFi or cellular data is being used.
Get in mind that cellular coverage it's not the same as Internet coverage, you might have 4 or 5 bars of coverage for calls but if you are in a rural zone or internet coverage is not good at your place, then your phone will get hot

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I had same problem with my phone! If I used Skype and/or stock FB app then my phone would get abnormally HOT and even drained all battery within 4 (100% to 0%) hours. I got my phone replaced and this one looks to be consistent. I would say Nokia made L920 in a hurry and they have very loose quality control in factory. HTC 8X folks seem to be comparatively happy & non-complaining!

aschettler

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This seems to be caused by the 1314 update. My first 920 had this problem. It would overheat while it was on a wired charger, but not when it was on the wireless charger. Then, within the past week, it just started draining the battery like crazy. I wasn't doing anything different with it than usual. Similarly to other users, I'd been experiencing network issues with the 1314 update. I could be standing in an area where I have full LTE signal but the signal will suddenly drop and I'd be kicked down to EDGE. Then, it would take a while to negotiate an HSPA+ connection before finally reconnecting over LTE (if it even did). So I took the phone to the AT&T warranty center and swapped out my phone for another 920. This one came with the 1249 firmware and the Portico update. It worked perfectly! But after I recovered all of my data from the backup and installed the 1314 update, I'm back to having the same network problems and overheating issue I had before. So I believe this issue was caused by the 1314 update. I never had any issues with my phone on the 1249 firmware, even the random lockups people were talking about. 1308 and 1314 screwed everything up!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss