iPhone --> Lumia 920: MAKING THE LEAP/ PRAY FOR ME

ChangingWays

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a policy of not getting a new phone until/unless I lose or break the old one. As a result I've been slumming it with an iPhone 3 for a long while. Apps are slow, but calls, texting, music: check, check, check. If I *need* internet and have 10 minutes to wait on T-Mobile's E I'll get it. Eventually. So yeah, I just thought I would stick with it until I got distracted on the subway.

However, last Xmas I got to play with my friend's Nokia 920 and kind of fell in love with that sexy little Cyan beast. (I wanted to do things to her... Things with my fingers.) Seriously, this is a phone I think I could just play with for hours.

Anyway, i found a 920 unlocked to T-Mobile, my carrier on Craigslist (I intend to check, of course) and I think I'm ready to take the leap. I just have a few issues/questions I need to get.

1- ZE MUSIQUE,
I'm an Apple guy through and through. (I don't mean that it's the better system but it's what I own and what all my work is done on, etc). I don't plan on doing much Apple-specific sync-ing (Calendar, etc.) but I would VERY much like to still be able to update my on-the-go music by simply synching it up to the iTunes. ESPECIALLY since I'm a bit of a Podcast junkie. Would that still be possible?

And if not, how exactly is it done from now on?

2- UNLOCKED
Should I expect any issues from the usage of an unlocked phone w/ T-mobile? Is there crash-age on that point?

3- Generally, how smooth of a transition can I expect? Do I need patches/repeated updates and sketchy downloads to keep up? (Basically I'm just worried that it might not be worth the hassle to veer off from the iPhone considering the music/iTunes component of my phone habits.) Any pointers, heads-up, dos & don'ts would be immensely appreciated.

4- CASE OR NO CASE?
I think I'd very much like to rock the phone without a clunky case but in your opinion do I need one, considering the amount of pocket storing I end up doing.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
MS have got you covered with your iTunes and have made it easy to sync your tunes to your Windows Phone.

Copying your iTunes music to your phone | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

As far as updates are concerned they seem to be few and far between which is typical of Nokia. I've got a completely unbranded 920 and have had only two updates in six months and am waiting for the 1314 update that others have had for ages in other countries/networks. Nokia have also promised some other updates will be released later on for extra features and improvements but I've got no idea when I'll get them.

Lastly, I never use a case for any phone and prefer to go naked. Besides, the 920 is already bulky enough so I wouldn't want to add to that.

jlink38

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Also, just to clarify, the reason updates don't come more often is because the software just works. Rarely does an update get released that doesn't work properly. Nokia often updates its subcomponent apps with new features.

malih

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
it would probably be easier to move if the GDR2 update is already available, cause then contacts can easily be synced with CardDAV,

I don't have problems with iTunes, sync playlists and music just fine.

ChangingWays

May 22, 2013
Visit site
it would probably be easier to move if the GDR2 update is already available, cause then contacts can easily be synced with CardDAV,

I don't have problems with iTunes, sync playlists and music just fine.

Do you use a Windows computer or any chance that's on a Macbook? (Also GDR2, CardDAV: you just said a whole bunch of things I don't understand there. )

Thanks for the feedback, folks! Keep it comin'!

mightyspur

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I used to have an iphone4 and I switched to the WP Lumia 920 as I loved the look and feel of the phone and my wife had the IP5 and I thought it felt cheap in comparison. Unfortunately the WP OS is a bit of a let down in terms of lack of apps (although I do like the UI and some of the functionality it offers) Hardware wise I love it, but it's a bit like a hot girlfriend that knows how much I love it and consequently treats me like crap a lot of the time and is constantly playing up. I've replaced one already and this one has very odd behaviour around the battery life that is making me lose confidence in it.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you use a Windows computer or any chance that's on a Macbook? (Also GDR2, CardDAV: you just said a whole bunch of things I don't understand there. )

Thanks for the feedback, folks! Keep it comin'!

GDR2 is General Distribution Release 2 which is just a fancy way of saying "software update". CalDAV is a protocol for managing and synchronising contacts and their associated data.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
1. It should be easy. Look at the first person who replied.
2. (I'm not on T-Mobile, so...) If your phone is unlocked, you'll want to set up the APNs on the access point app in settings.
3. It really depends on how dependent you are on the Apple ecosystem. Also, make sure you dive into settings first to check if everything you don't need is turned off.
Also, you could choose not to sign in at startup if you don't want to you a cellular data connection. Also, you need a Microsoft Account for you to really take advantage of your phone. As much as possible, stay within the Microsoft Ecosystem (use outlook.com, use SkyDrive, etc.) if it does not require too much effort.
If you rely heavily on Google services and switch to a Windows Phone...I pray for your soul. (Okay, that sounded too dark)
4. Just put a screen protector on. If you take good care of your phone, you shouldn't need a case. For a case, I recommend the official Nokia case, CC-1043. (I think.)

ChangingWays

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I used to have an iphone4 and I switched to the WP Lumia 920 as I loved the look and feel of the phone and my wife had the IP5 and I thought it felt cheap in comparison. Unfortunately the WP OS is a bit of a let down in terms of lack of apps (although I do like the UI and some of the functionality it offers) Hardware wise I love it, but it's a bit like a hot girlfriend that knows how much I love it and consequently treats me like crap a lot of the time and is constantly playing up. I've replaced one already and this one has very odd behaviour around the battery life that is making me lose confidence in it.

Say what you will about the iPhone but that isht is reliable. Heck I'm still on the 3rd gen and have only had minor hiccups. Do you think this is because of a defunct unit?

This and 'WanderingTraveler''s post worries me a bit. :/ (I'm a gmail guy but beyond that I'm not sure how dependent I would rank on the google/iPhone ecosystem. No cloud.)

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Say what you will about the iPhone but that isht is reliable. Heck I'm still on the 3rd gen and have only had minor hiccups. Do you think this is because of a defunct unit?

This and 'WanderingTraveler''s post worries me a bit. :/ (I'm a gmail guy but beyond that I'm not sure how dependent I would rank on the google/iPhone ecosystem. No cloud.)

Don't worry. There are plenty of games now using Xbox, there's all the apps you need (other then, instagram, snapchat, other stuff you use I don't know about). My battery on the 8X gets me 1 day heavy use. You can access Gmail (remember, Google reads your emails) using the mail app on the phone. Other then that, you cannot use google services.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I was an Apple guy for 4 years. Had iPhone3G, then iPhone4, and when I just saw the first advertisement for Lumia920, I was in love with it. So, after several months of waiting etc. I got mine. Never have I regret it. I hated the stupid iTunes crap, so instead of that idiotic piece of crappy software I used iTools. With Lumia, I can do anything I want (music, documents, and other multimedia) as on any USB flash drive.
I do miss some apps, but I can live without them.

ChangingWays

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I was an Apple guy for 4 years. Had iPhone3G, then iPhone4, and when I just saw the first advertisement for Lumia920, I was in love with it. So, after several months of waiting etc. I got mine. Never have I regret it. I hated the stupid iTunes crap, so instead of that idiotic piece of crappy software I used iTools. With Lumia, I can do anything I want (music, documents, and other multimedia) as on any USB flash drive.
I do miss some apps, but I can live without them.

Hello Apple brother,

Can I ask what exactly bothered you about the iTunes/Apple system and in way the Nokia fixed it? Also, any sync problems to your (presumed) mac system, etc?

Oh and what's iTools? (A google search reveals that it's an iPhone/iPad manager. Not sure exactly what that means for the Nokia? Is it a replacement app for your iTunes or a supplement just for your iTunes?

Tracy Daken

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I love my 920. So much that when the 920's unlocked, I bought one for cash from rogers. Don't get an ATT unlocked 920 until you know TMobile has changed their 3 and 4g to the frequency 1900MHZ. Or you will just get edge. I suggest buying an Unlocked rogers Pentaband Lumia. They can get 4g, and LTE from both ATT and Tmobile. They have the 1700 AWS band, which not even the international version has. And I am not sure if the Unlocked att version will have 42mbits (HPSDA+) like the pentaband one does. It may have only 21mbits.
Just be careful when choosing a Lumia for TMobile man. I will provide you with a link.
Nokia Lumia 920 White Unlocked

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I transitioned from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 810 and then Lumia 920. The music hasn't been an issue, although I do like the iTunes set up on the iPhone better than Xbox Music. There's also Pandora and similar apps that can get you by with music, though. As for the unlocked issue, if you have a Rogers 920 that includes the AWS 1700 band T-Mobile uses, you'll have absolutely no problem (I'm also on T-Mobile and have an unlocked Rogers 920, on which I just saw LTE appearing this past Saturday). As for the case, I have a good dual case by Incipio on my black 920. I'm kinda paranoid about having one of the matte versions of the phone. Having a case is really your call, but if you have one of the matte Lumia 920s, I would probably recommend getting one.

ChangingWays

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I transitioned from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 810 and then Lumia 920. The music hasn't been an issue, although I do like the iTunes set up on the iPhone better than Xbox Music. There's also Pandora and similar apps that can get you by with music, though. As for the unlocked issue, if you have a Rogers 920 that includes the AWS 1700 band T-Mobile uses, you'll have absolutely no problem (I'm also on T-Mobile and have an unlocked Rogers 920, on which I just saw LTE appearing this past Saturday). As for the case, I have a good dual case by Incipio on my black 920. I'm kinda paranoid about having one of the matte versions of the phone. Having a case is really your call, but if you have one of the matte Lumia 920s, I would probably recommend getting one.

From what I can gather, it's an AT&T unlocked phone, not a Rogers. What's the difference exactly? :/

End result-wise?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I can gather, it's an AT&T unlocked phone, not a Rogers. What's the difference exactly? :/

End result-wise?

I just realized Tracy Daken actually explained this in his post above mine. The AT&T version doesn't have the AWS 1700 band that T-Mobile uses for its 3G/4G network. If you got the AT&T one unlocked, you would probably see 3G on your phone, depending on your location. In the worst case scenario, you might only get EDGE speeds, which are very slow. My factory unlocked iPhone 4 has the same bands AT&T uses (I got it in 2011) and I never, ever saw anything other than E on it until this past November, when I finally got 3G to appear.

You can get an unlocked Rogers Lumia 920 at Negri Electronics (that's where I got mine) or from GSMNation, as Tracy linked you to one above. Hope that helps. :smile:

spop9

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and took my 920. I live in the Dallas area where the frequencies have been refarmed and I am able to get 4G here. If I travel out of the area I am stuck on edge/2G/Slow. This is a decent map of the areas where refarmed towers have been spotted - Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

Metalchick was saying the Rogers version of the 920 supports all the same bands as T-Mobile so you wouldn't have to worry about finding a refarmed area to have a good data connection.

Tracy Daken

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have done a ton of research into this. I think it is POSSBILE (Possible meaning you take risks of bricking your device) to get your ATT Lumia to run the 1700 MHZ band. Developers on XDA are realizing that ATT just shut the hardware for that frequency off in their software. Inherently, you would have to attempt to install rogers software to an ATT lumia 920. From what I read though, it is a 50/50 chance of it not working.
Settings to use for ATT Lumia 920 on T-Mobile? - xda-developers
However, understand there are few more threads here and is off topic.
It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you do a lot of research into how to install roms on the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs