Live tiles not working... AGAIN....

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have an ATT 920 running 1314. As is typical, NONE of my 3rd party live tiles update. Previously, after living a month with this broken functionality, I decided to do a full reset of my 920 to try and fix it. Then the phone got stuck for 8 hours on the gears. Had to use an old firmware backup and re-flash the phone - if I hadn't already downloaded that (Nokia no longer allows downloading these) I would have had to send the phone back to ATT. Then everything restored. Wasted an entire weekend day fighting this. Took a couple of days for all apps to update back to latest versions. OS eventually updated to latest version after about 5 updates.

This fixed my 3rd Party Live Tile updates for about 5 days. Then they stopped working again.

This continual, ongoing issue is really making WP8 useless for me. When Live Tiles don't update, it's really a crippled OS, as so much of the functionality depends on it. When Live Tiles don't work, combined with no notification center, I'd be better off back on the buggy iOS with it's Windows 3.0 interface.... I bought the 920 at launch, and if it actually worked I'd really like it. But I can't keep fighting the OS breaking (and this is my second 920 as the first one burned out it's own battery a few months ago)

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you soft reset the phone? The soft reset screw the live tiles. If your live tile stop working right after a soft reset, you need to turn off your phone and then turn it back on. And you have to do this twice. Don't ask me why.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Power cycling my 920 usually fixes this for a long time. When I notice the tiles aren't updating again, I turn it all the way off and then back on. You shouldn't have to do a hard reset.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
For me nothing works to fix this problem (I haven't tried a hard reset yet, refuse to do that). Soft reset, power cycling, uninstalling, reinstalling of apps, and so on. The 3rd party live tiles stopped working shortly after the 1314 update on AT&T. This is super annoying. I hope that MS at least knows about this and is working on a fix.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Power cycling my 920 usually fixes this for a long time. When I notice the tiles aren't updating again, I turn it all the way off and then back on. You shouldn't have to do a hard reset.

This never, and has never, worked for me.

The problem is now so bad that, although my email tiles and calendar tile still update, now the Bing lockscreen photo update does not even work. And I do NOT consider that to be a 3rd party app....

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok you hard reset and live tile work for 5 days. A lots can happen during 5 days. Did you install new app? If not, you better ask for replacement.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For me nothing works to fix this problem (I haven't tried a hard reset yet, refuse to do that). Soft reset, power cycling, uninstalling, reinstalling of apps, and so on. The 3rd party live tiles stopped working shortly after the 1314 update on AT&T. This is super annoying. I hope that MS at least knows about this and is working on a fix.

Try going into Internet Explorer and deleting your history and any cache you might have. Don't ask me why, but this seems to fix it for some people.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
My lives tiles haven't worked for weeks and weeks on my 710, rebooting the phone does nothing and I refuse to factory reset my phone for something that should be working OOTB

Its a disgrace

RackDaddy

May 20, 2013
Visit site
New to WP, so excuse my ignorance: You don't have to have the live tile app loaded in the background for live tile updates to work, do you? (I find myself closing previously opened apps by repeatedly pressing BACK; I also have issues with live tiles not updating on a brand-new Nokia Lumia 928.)

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
New to WP, so excuse my ignorance: You don't have to have the live tile app loaded in the background for live tile updates to work, do you? (I find myself closing previously opened apps by repeatedly pressing BACK; I also have issues with live tiles not updating on a brand-new Nokia Lumia 928.)

no

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

No, just make sure they are enabled in Background Tasks in settings, some are not displayed on the main page though

RickFelt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Switch to another phone Nokia will be out of business in the next few years. I regret buying this POS of a phone.

"Oh hey, it takes great pictures and videos" anonymous shill

Daniel Ferrara

May 11, 2013
Visit site
When my live tiles stopped working a few months ago, the only fix that worked for me was to let the battery run completely out so the phone dies. Then charge it up. No guarantees, but it's worth a shot.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I just read in the other live tiles thread that unintalling a load of your unused apps that appear in Background Tasks > Advanced has fixed it for people

Bear in mind, my live tiles have been 100% dead in the water for weeks and weeks

I started uninstalling them, about 10-15 apps in and I got a notification from WPCentral app, checked the homescreen and everything has started working again

I still have around 25 apps left in the advanced section of background tasks too

100% the problem for me

@MS FIX THIS! Our phones, our app choices, you gave us the OS, Nokia gave us the storage, yet we can't install what we want ?

Johnny 5 is alive ! :D Again

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me AGAIN- 3rd Party Live Tiles all stopped working. Happens to me every few weeks. Only fix for my 920 is to erase and reset the phone. But as that fails every time and sticks at "the gears" I have to then reflash the phone firmware myself to avoid a return back to ATT for them to reflash it.

I'm waiting for the next generation of iPhone and then switching back. I prefer WP8 (and iOS is buggy as hell), but I CANNOT tolerate a situation where I have to erase the phone once every month to keep it working. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)