Apps and the Battery

Destra Lust

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Now, I've done a little research on this and came up with zip, but my lumia 920 will not charge while I am in an app. Has anyone else ran into this?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What exactly are you talking about?
For most of the problems, I find a soft reset fixes it.
If it doesn't, you are in neck deep trouble pal.

Destra Lust

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Say I'm in Skype, Kik, playing a game, or in the Facebook app. If my phone is plugged in it wont charge, and the battery icon says its charging, but the battery still drains. But it will charge out of the app. My phone is still pretty new, and I still have warranty on it, but this seems more OS related...

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Say I'm in Skype, Kik, playing a game, or in the Facebook app. If my phone is plugged in it wont charge, and the battery icon says its charging, but the battery still drains. But it will charge out of the app. My phone is still pretty new, and I still have warranty on it, but this seems more OS related...

Its obvious that if you charge the phone while using it, it'll drain the battery. Its like cycling, you are constantly drinking some juice + cycling at the same time and end up feeling like you have no energy?

You need to stop and have the juice, you'll gain energy. I hope the example makes sense :)?

I prefer charging the phone at night or at times when I don't expect any calls or texts, also charge from the official charger only.

If you still have a doubt, start any app, plug your phone in the wall, and continue the app for 5 minutes, then go to settings, battery and see if you see a charging or a draining text?

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the charger you're using. If your using your PC, you get like 10% charge per hour. If your consumption in app is >10% then you'll be draining it instead of charging. I use the Nokia AC-10E charger which is faster than the charger that comes with the Lumia 920 (65% per hour vs 35-40% per hour). My phone charges even if I'm using a very intensive app, although it gets really hot.

Destra Lust

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, Iphone is well,....Iphone is not windows.
True, but I wasn't ready for charging "issues" don't get me wrong, I love my Lumia, and WP8, I'm a huge Microsoft ******, but i wasn't expecting basic app usage to "over-drain", so to say, the charging input. It isn't a huge issue, but sometimes I like to lay in bed with my phone rather than my laptop, and would prefer that messaging people on Skype didn't drain the battery while its plugged in.

Abdul9

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing is that i do what you did with your phone all the time and i have never run into that issue. I use my Laptop to charge it with the usb cable that came with my phone ut it still charges even while playing games like temple run(drains battery fast), well you can imagine that in that case it will charge slower than it would while idle.

Destra Lust

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I might need to just get my usb to wall hub thingy back, i let someone borrow it :/ ill get back to you guys and see if that's the issue

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The funny thing is that i do what you did with your phone all the time and i have never run into that issue. I use my Laptop to charge it with the usb cable that came with my phone ut it still charges even while playing games like temple run(drains battery fast), well you can imagine that in that case it will charge slower than it would while idle.

Charging from usb of a computer/laptop is a lot, lot lot *slower* than the wall charger because the usb port can't supply the wattage your wall charger can. I only do it if in a life or death scenario.

@OP
Assuming you have a new phone (the wp8)
Give it 3-4 charge cycles, charge your phone during the night time and see if you can get 24+ hours of juice.
Remember to turn of nfc, it eats up battery. Am not sure if you have 4G, if you don't need it, turn that off too, like 3G its a battery hog.
I like to keep the brightness at low, its extremely bright at that level for me :).
You may also consider turning off the option of 'auto update my phone if an update is available', you will get a notification you can download it whenever you have wifi :).
Also wifi, switch off when not in use.

Lastly, 920's battery's juice is not good enough for its massive & amazing hardware, straight fact.

Destra Lust

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Charging from usb of a computer/laptop is a lot, lot lot *slower* than the wall charger because the usb port can't supply the wattage your wall charger can. I only do it if in a life or death scenario.

@OP
Assuming you have a new phone (the wp8)
Give it 3-4 charge cycles, charge your phone during the night time and see if you can get 24+ hours of juice.
Remember to turn of nfc, it eats up battery. Am not sure if you have 4G, if you don't need it, turn that off too, like 3G its a battery hog.
I like to keep the brightness at low, its extremely bright at that level for me :).
You may also consider turning off the option of 'auto update my phone if an update is available', you will get a notification you can download it whenever you have wifi :).
Also wifi, switch off when not in use.

Lastly, 920's battery's juice is not good enough for its massive & amazing hardware, straight fact.

my settings are an exact replica to this

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
my settings are an exact replica to this

Perhaps, the phone itself is at fault then.
Like I said, 920 is a monster, while its battery is not :(.
Try contacting Nokia about it, or since your phone is new wait for a month to see if performance improves since you have 12 month warranty anyway.
Install 'battery' app and see whats eating your battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12