INTRODUCING: The world's first Dual Shot shell Lumia 920

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My custom modification of a factory OEM Nokia Lumia 920 shell.

I just loved the Dual Shot design of the Lumia 620, so I improvised and created a dual shot for the Lumia 920 by using the Duplicolor Metalcast paints. These coloured paints are transparent, which creates the same Dual Shot effect of the Lumia 620.

I wanted an orange phone so I started with an OEM Nokia yellow shell and shot a very light application of Metalcast Red with a couple coats of clear. The result is a gorgeous orange dual shot finish.

I polished it off by wetsanding and using 3M polishing compounds.

Duplicolor Metalcast part numbers:
MC200 - Red Anodized
MC201 - Blue Anodized
MC202 - Yellow Anodized
MC203 - Green Anodized
MC204 - Purple Anodized
MC205 - Orange Anodized
MC206 - Smoke Anodized

3M Polishing part numbers:
Start with 05954 Medium Cut Rubbing Compound
Then 39002 Fine Cut Rubbing Compound
Finish it with 05990 Hand Glaze

Here is a short video of the entire procedure.
Nokia Lumia 920 with Dual Shot shell - YouTube

DualShot1.jpg

DualShot2.jpg

DualShot3.jpg

While I do really like it... I kinda really liked the matte yellow look that I achieved in the process of making the Dual Shot Orange. I might switch it to yellow. Or make another dual shot of some crazy colour like purple. Also remember that you can layer two Metalcast paints on top of each other so you can make a Tri Shot or Quad Shot shell (or even more) if you wish!

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
nice work! always good to see someone doing it right with clear thinking and a professional approach. the pics don't seem to suggest the 'dual' aspect to the colour though, unless im mis understanding the finish you wanted. The orange is lovely but i cant see the blended dual shot technique.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I like how that looks. Very professional. I'd imagine it would look that way if Nokia did it themselves.

EDIT: after taking a look at the design video for the phone, I now understand the dual shot technique you applied.

Last edited:

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Inspiring, though I can't see me risking my 920 while its new.

Surely the possibilities for customisation are endless, once you're familiar with how to change the backs? That would be so cool. :)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
When I first saw you sanding down your yellow cover I was nearly screaming at my monitor. Then you continued. After a while I saw the method in your madness and I now think you're somewhat of a genius. This isn't Dual-Shot per se ... THIS is Dual-Shot:

Nokia-Lumia-620_Dual-Shot.jpg

But I can see where you're coming from. What you have here is a flawless way to make your lumia the exact tone you want it to be, by utilising the colour of the lumia shell. Yellow + Red = Orange. I'd LOVE to hear how well this wears, what it looks like if it is dropped, chipped or scratched in any way. If it wears pretty well I might even consider doing this myself. Absolutely brilliant work, would love to see more tutorials/videos for other colours.

Last edited:

tommikovski

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
This is really awesome! I think i?ll try matte white or matte yellow. I?m too scared of spraying the whole thing though :)

Thanks for the video and images!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm crying because it's a thing of beauty. Well done. Well done.

Now, shrink this to the size of an N9 with the same screen and give it an x86 processor, and you have an instant sale.

Keyshore

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Very Nice, the best thing about the Lumia series are the vibrant and peppy colors. I dont know why the 928 is offered only in black or white?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When I first saw you sanding down your yellow cover I was nearly screaming at my monitor. Then you continued. After a while I saw the method in your madness and I now think you're somewhat of a genius. This isn't Dual-Shot per se ... THIS is Dual-Shot:

View attachment 34848

But I can see where you're coming from. What you have here is a flawless way to make your lumia the exact tone you want it to be, by utilising the colour of the lumia shell. Yellow + Red = Orange. I'd LOVE to hear how well this wears, what it looks like if it is dropped, chipped or scratched in any way. If it wears pretty well I might even consider doing this myself. Absolutely brilliant work, would love to see more tutorials/videos for other colours.

To me, the dual shot aspect comes from the blending of a solid base tone with a transparent/lucent top shell to achieve a very unique colour and look. The transparent shell creates a "candied apple" kind of an effect, which is beautiful. The Lumia 620's lime green colour wouldn't look nearly as striking if the colour was achieved in one stage rather than two. So to me, the Dual Shot aspect is the look and colour achieved through the two colour stage process, NOT the two colored border around the edges. At least, this is the aspect that Nokia stresses in their Dual Shot marketing. This technique is well known in the automotive world as "candy", which is where I got my inspiration from. People use candy paint techniques in custom paint jobs due to it's very unique look, which is very similar to the look the Lumia 620 achieves. So it's much different than just changing it to the exact tone I like. If that is what I wanted to do, I would have first sprayed grey primer and then hit it with a solid orange paint.

So I guess Dual Shot may have a different meaning to different people, but this is my take on it.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
OP, it is possible for you to give some rough times you took on each stage of the sanding and how long the paint took between coats? As far as I know opening up your Lumia like this will void your warranty but if that's not a concern for you this could be a brilliant DIY project. I'm really interested how well this effect lasts, whether you'd have to keep re-polishing the case again as you're polishing it through rubbing compounds. I can't believe how good the result is that I'm really considering doing this myself I just need to know how well the effect lasts and if the paint comes off over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon