Digitizer replacement on 920

Philly3950

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
this morning I dropped my 920 from my night stand (30cm height) it landed face down and the result...well, you can see it in the picture...
First of all, I have to say that I'm tremendously disappointed, I know it's my fault, shoudn't have dropped it, but the phone has a case, the display protector and it was a 30cm fall...
Having said that, I live in Italy, there is no such thing as a insurance so I have to pay for the repairment on my own...I do not feel like going through the official channel, I need my phone quickly and I don't want to pay an huge amount of money for an easy replacement.
I did some researches here on the forum, the touch screen still works perfect, even in the most cracked area... the LCD is in mint conditions so the only thing that I have to replace is the outer part of the screen, which, if I correctly understood, is the digitizer..
Could you please let me know which is the best and most reliable online supplier for it? I've already seen that there are videos on the how to here in the forum, so I'm pretty confident I'll make it...

Please help me out, I can't stand seeing my phone like that.

Thanks to everyone that will help!

Enrico

Attachments

• foto 1.jpg
    foto 1.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 10

Philly3950

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I know... :(
I did some other researches, it seems like the digitizer was once available on its own but now it's being sold only along with the LCD.
I hope that this is just me researching the wrong way in the wrong places...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Sweet. I'm going to have to check this out, too. I also dropped my phone (more like, it was flung out of its holster by my seat belt, but I digress). I have already bought a new phone as a replacement, but I'm thinking about fixing the old one up to have around as a backup option.

Philly3950

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
just so you know, I found the Digitizer separated by the LCD screen (which seemed impossible at one point, because was out of stock everywhere I looked).
I hope you never crack your screen, but if you need it you can find it here:
Nokia Lumia 920 Touch Screen - Parts4repair.Com
I do not know if the adhesive is included but I'd guess so reading the (good!) reviews.

Here in Italy it would have cost me 200? going to a Nokia center or 180 buying it with the LCD included in an online retailer so I'm pretty appy with my finding. Etrade supply had it for way less, but has been out of stock for quite a long time so I decided to go with this one, I couldn't stand looking at my phone in that condition...

Philly3950

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
thanks for the hint, I was already sobbing at my lack of luck, cause I ordered it this morning, but then I saw that the one on ETrade has the AT&T logo, which I do not want.
So, even if I paid it a little more, it's always 100€ less than what I would have paid at Nokia, it's all good :)
p.s. I hope this one will come with the adhesive, it looked like that from the ad, we'll see!

Philly3950

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
it worked fine for me.
Only issue, as mentioned before, buy also the black Nokia adhesive. The job if you have all of the right tools is not complex and can be done in 1hr or less.

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I received the replacement Digitizer (Digitizer+Glass is one piece) today.
The replacement process isn't that straight forward as it appears in:

this tutorial
(Digitizer Replacement) and;

this one
(Disassembly).

Of course, it will be a quick job for a professional. :)

You must watch the Disassembly tutorial video first before moving on to the actual replacement tutorial video. Also, you will need a T5, T4 and T2 screwdriver for this entire effort. Pay close attention to the disassemble process and be careful removing of screws/cables.

I went as far as disconnecting the cables tonight. It took me about half hour in order to be careful not to damage any part. I plan to resume work tomorrow and report back.

Attached is the image of my replacement Digitizer. It looks sharp.

Attachments

• WP_20130624_003.jpg
    WP_20130624_003.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 15

Philly3950

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Second drop, second broken digitizer, again, with protective film and plastic case on.
This is bull****, what the **** is this screen made of??? It was a 40cm drop, this is total bull****. I had tons of cellphones which I dropped a million times and nothing ever happened. This one breaks 2 times out of 2 drops???
I was expecting much much much better from a phone that was marketed as tough. Why would I believe such a video (Nokia Lumia Pitching Machine Challenge - YouTube) when my phone broke 2 times for stupid drops that every cell would have survived?
Guess I'm leaving Nokia for good this time. Totally disappointed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett